dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/14/12 3:01 p.m.

This is actually for my Dad, who's allegedly having fun replacing the battery on their '94 Corvette. I know there is a pretty good C4 contingent on here, any tips?

Thanks!

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/14/12 3:12 p.m.

I think I ended up pulling off a portion of the cruise control and was able to wiggle the battery out. It's been a few years, but that's all I did iirc.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/14/12 3:31 p.m.

most Vette owners would just drop it off at the shop and let them worry about it..

Cotton
Cotton Dork
5/14/12 3:55 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: most Vette owners would just drop it off at the shop and let them worry about it..

He said vette, not BMW.

Ranger50
Ranger50 SuperDork
5/14/12 3:57 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
novaderrik wrote: most Vette owners would just drop it off at the shop and let them worry about it..
He said vette, not BMW.

You expect the old geezers to work on cars at their advanced age?

nervousdog
nervousdog HalfDork
5/14/12 4:02 p.m.

The side piece with the gills next to the battery comes off. I just did it yesterday. 2 Torx bolts in the wheel well, one 10mm bolt up top, and loosen one 10mm on the bottom between the piece and the frame on mine.

Edit: Now with hotlinks!

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds Reader
5/14/12 4:09 p.m.

Correct. The bottom one is hard to see until you crouch down, def requires a box wrench.

daytonaer
daytonaer Reader
5/14/12 6:57 p.m.

Just take the fender'ette off, its the easiest way. Don't struggle with the criuse and cross brace.

When you put it back on, mind the fender-door gap, there is enough "adjustment" that you can get the fender and the door to rub. Doing this did not improve the looks of my c4 when I had it.....

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/14/12 8:54 p.m.

yep pop the "fender" off.

i can do it in a minute now. actually mine hasn't been on for 2 years.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
5/15/12 3:25 a.m.
Ranger50 wrote:
Cotton wrote:
He said vette, not BMW.

this one seems to be trying to work on his car..

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
5/15/12 7:34 a.m.
novaderrik wrote:
Ranger50 wrote:
Cotton wrote:
He said vette, not BMW.
this one seems to be trying to work on his car..

Not a geezer, but has been working on his C4 for a few months..... or I should say "Too damn long."

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/15/12 7:40 a.m.

Dad's still young enough to work on cars! After all, I learned most of what I know from him.

He found a good how-to on the internet and so he went with the mini-rocker panel removal. Everything's buttoned up and still not starting. I've asked him for more details about any Check Engine lights or SECURITY lights. Replacing the battery was a smart move, though - it had last been done in 2003 (just before he bought the car).

What's the best C4 forum for tech? I was on Corvetteforum.com in the C4 technical section and it seemed pretty solid, is that the best one?

Thanks for all of your help!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/15/12 8:43 p.m.

corvette-guru.com

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MFdbJr40rnjRxWR6qIJZBcgzrXABisFTuLy994R3TvqwYk115bHjXWMqwDlExWPm