1 ... 3 4 5
eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
12/8/16 3:02 p.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Hell, even the C4 was an amazing handling car compared to the competition when it came out.

IIRC, the 1984 Z51 pulled .9 g's or better on the skid pad. That's still pretty good now, much less 32 years ago.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/8/16 3:06 p.m.
dculberson wrote: In reply to Bobzilla: Hell, even the C4 was an amazing handling car compared to the competition when it came out.

TRUE... but the C4 was outclassed "by the imports" towards the end of the run. GM rectified that with the C5

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
12/8/16 6:16 p.m.

The C4 was also the king of Super Stock and later A-Stock autocrossing. Back when it was released, it was considered a very good handling car. We can pick it apart now, but in '84 it was a revelation in handling for a US produced car, and equaled or beat many from Europe.

They're far from perfect, but I've always liked driving them. And they reek a cool '80's vibe in a fun-loving mullet kind of way.

Nick (Bo) Comstock
Nick (Bo) Comstock UltimaDork
12/8/16 6:55 p.m.

I didn't even remember making a thread about C4 vettes until I started reading it then it all came back. I've ran across a couple nice ones for not a lot of money. Wife still says no.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
12/8/16 7:51 p.m.

In reply to racerdave600:

Truth: A couple autox runs in Ovid_and_Flem's C4 at the Challenge this years was enough to make me hate myself for snubbing & ignoring them all these years, and go out and find one myself. It drives like a larger Miata with more power, and you can find them in similar condition for similar money.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/8/16 8:54 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote:
IIRC, the 1984 Z51 pulled .9 g's or better on the skid pad. That's still pretty good now, much less 32 years ago.

So did the RX-7 GSL-SE.

Skidpad grip has nothing to do with handling, it is little more than how gummy the tires are. Super sticky tires from the factory = braggin' rights. By all accounts the '84 C4s had evil handling. So did RX-7s, to be honest.

The Z51 had some fancy Gatorbacks, the GSL-SE had fancy tires of its own (Yokohamas?).

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
12/8/16 9:24 p.m.
Knurled wrote: Skidpad grip has nothing to do with handling, it is little more than how gummy the tires are. Super sticky tires from the factory = braggin' rights. By all accounts the '84 C4s had evil handling. So did RX-7s, to be honest. The Z51 had some fancy Gatorbacks, the GSL-SE had fancy tires of its own (Yokohamas?).

So what about the "Super Stock" and "A-Stock" autocrossing reign? Were sports cars from 1984 generally evil handling maybe? I think you're looking at them with 2016 tinted glasses.

GTXVette
GTXVette Reader
12/9/16 7:19 a.m.

Mine isn't a DD per se,but is being built to be driven legal on the street,sort of, Now we are Talking Challenge money for starters, Working with 30 yr.old tech. I would guess a new car that will run with it would cost a bit more, you pick one, then we hit GA.hwy 60 Blue ridge to dahlonaga,Or Dragons tail, Every fast blind turn YOU will be thinking 'bout your next Payment. I think about Hang time.....If I go over... Oh Well !!!!! L O l

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
12/9/16 7:24 a.m.

I don't know about evil handling. I never once felt that. Hell, I kinda thought it would make a great drift car. Easy to get the tail out and keep it there.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
12/9/16 9:15 p.m.
Mr_Clutch42 wrote: I actually like the high side sills with the low floor. It makes the car feel more unique than most other cars, and makes it seem like you are sitting really low. But, some of the late cars still seem to be priced way to high.

This guy. I agree. I like the way the C4 interior makes it feel you are in a cockpit, so I don't agree with anyone else on the planet who doesn't like the C4 interior. Of course the 96 LT4 is the one to have but I'd rather have the earlier, narrower seats of the 92, 93, 94 model. Call me crazy. I don't care. I am.

plance1
plance1 SuperDork
12/9/16 9:29 p.m.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/i-want-a-c4-corvette-and-i-dont-care-what-you-jerks-say/55190/page1/

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
xwdHGo8gBjoDZENSj7Dr8bx4v4ExaLTkKdNMbNEcFbC4BdRe8wTi5LqukdMc3gPS