1 2 3 4
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/26/19 1:50 p.m.

It’s been a week since the all-new, mid-engined Corvette dropped, and the conversation is still going on.

Our unofficial tally says that the C8 has more fans than detractors. What says you?

Read the rest of the story

spacecadet
spacecadet GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/26/19 1:54 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

The corvette brand has gained more fans than it has lost. And the unhappy people will probably now get pushed to go buy a C7. so GM wins either way! 

David S. Wallens
7/26/19 2:13 p.m.

In reply to spacecadet :

I think you're right about the Corvette picking up new fans. And I'm looking at the car at the top of this page. Looks good. 

secretariata
secretariata GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/19 2:14 p.m.

If the reported entry price of under $60k holds true it is a serious bargain. 

From the photos, I don't like the barrier between the driver and passenger. Maybe it isn't as bad in person?

David S. Wallens
7/26/19 2:22 p.m.

In reply to secretariata :

I'm wondering if it's like the ND MX-5. When the photos were leaked, everyone freaked out about the in-dash screen. In reality, though, it never bothered me. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/26/19 2:29 p.m.

I am a fan.

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Dork
7/26/19 2:50 p.m.

I am a fan as well, turned out a bit better than it could have. Still can't afford one, maybe some day.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/26/19 3:04 p.m.

I really like it! The only that looks really "off" to me is that weird spine down the center console.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
7/26/19 3:09 p.m.

When did "Corvette" change from a model to a brand? Every time I hear or read "Corvette brand" the past few weeks I keep wondering.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/19 3:33 p.m.

Maybe I missed it, but I’ve seen the sub-$60k base price, and I’ve seen the Z-51 performance numbers, but has GM mentioned what the Z-51 should sticker for?

RJStanford
RJStanford GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/26/19 3:51 p.m.

Since the base model is all that and more, and the Z51 package is likely awesome, how about letting the Z06 really be all about the track?

What if it added lots of cooling, an enhanced data recorder, more downforce, and factory air jacks :)

Just saying...

RJStanford
RJStanford GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/26/19 3:53 p.m.
secretariata said:

From the photos, I don't like the barrier between the driver and passenger. Maybe it isn't as bad in person?

Its to keep you more focused on the next apex and less aware of the leg of whoever's sitting next to you ;) 

David S. Wallens
7/26/19 3:57 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

When did "Corvette" change from a model to a brand? Every time I hear or read "Corvette brand" the past few weeks I keep wondering.

You know, it almost is a brand. 

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
7/26/19 4:19 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Publishing the base price and the performance with an optional package is standard marketing procedure.

Brian_13
Brian_13 New Reader
7/26/19 4:21 p.m.

One article (sorry, I have lost track of which one) explained that the mid-engine configuration required them to strengthen the tunnel, to avoid excessively high sills... and thus the 'barrier'.

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
7/26/19 4:27 p.m.

I like it mostly and the price point is commendable.  I think the style and detailing from the rear view is overly busy and the folds vs. curves ratio went the wrong direction.  I also think that there should have been more effort spent to get a real manual trans into this thing which I know has been beaten to death already.

I'll never own one though so none of this really matters much.

Vettedrmr
Vettedrmr New Reader
7/26/19 4:31 p.m.

In reply to Pete Gossett :

Pricing is supposed to be published August 15th.

My well planned long term financial strategy is in serious peril!

Have a good one,

Mike

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/26/19 4:39 p.m.

It's really freaking cool, and not my thing in much the same way as the current Corvette. Which is to say I think it's awesome, would totally have one if money and space were no object, but until I get to have a very large number of cups of tea, this isn't mine, as it would have to displace too many other cups of tea which better suit my personality.

To be a little pedantic about it, or possibly just give a literal answer to a joking question, I think the brand distinction is that almost any identifiable name or concept can be a brand in that it is something that can be marketed and have associations and connotations. Focus groups can be asked how they feel about "Corvette." Which is distinct from the usage of "brand" as a synonym for "marque" or "manufacturer."

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/26/19 4:47 p.m.
Ransom said:

It's really freaking cool, and not my thing in much the same way as the current Corvette. Which is to say I think it's awesome, would totally have one if money and space were no object, but until I get to have a very large number of cups of tea, this isn't mine, as it would have to displace too many other cups of tea which better suit my personality.

To be a little pedantic about it, or possibly just give a literal answer to a joking question, I think the brand distinction is that almost any identifiable name or concept can be a brand in that it is something that can be marketed and have associations and connotations. Focus groups can be asked how they feel about "Corvette." Which is distinct from the usage of "brand" as a synonym for "marque" or "manufacturer."

That's what I was going to say, although less eloquently.

If you told someone you bought an "Aveo," they wouldn't likely know it's a Chevy, or what it is, unless they've had the pleasure of getting stuck in one as rental/loaner. 

When someone says, "Corvette." The average person knows what that is.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/26/19 4:48 p.m.
Pete Gossett said:

Maybe I missed it, but I’ve seen the sub-$60k base price, and I’ve seen the Z-51 performance numbers, but has GM mentioned what the Z-51 should sticker for?

Hopefully not too much, the last few years the Z-51 package has been around $5k.

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
7/26/19 4:55 p.m.

Seriously,  once they get a little more into my range- as corvettes do, I might have to pull the trigger. Always wanted an ls swapped fiero. This saves me so much time. I'll have one in brown with gold trim, thanks 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
7/26/19 4:56 p.m.
T.J. said:

I am a fan.

+1. At least of the looks, the performance numbers, the price, and the concept.

I’m excited to drive one, but I don’t have high hopes for it being the be-all-end-all for me. 

I didn’t like the looks of the C7 until l saw one in person, then I fell in love. It was a couple years later when I very quickly fell out of love after about 20 miles of street driving where I felt like I was in a coffin and every lane change was a white-knuckle affair. 

Obviously, I doubt the C8 will be much different in that regard, but I also realize that’s a “me” problem. I want to drive one.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/26/19 5:02 p.m.

The alternative title for this thread is "C8 Corvettes get clicks!"

Corvette is 100% a brand. Just think of how many completely non-car related things you can get with the Corvette logo on it. Home Depot sells stools with the Corvette logo on them. You can get neon Corvette logo signs.  Forever21 sells Corvette pants. None of them say Chevrolet. That's a brand.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/26/19 5:19 p.m.

I like it. A lot. I like it so much, it wins in spite of this:

D2W
D2W HalfDork
7/26/19 5:32 p.m.

1) I think it is awesome. A true mid engine supercar for 60K? Are you kidding me. 

2) I don't really understand all the complaints I've read. Sure the styling is not going to be to everyone's liking. How many people who are complaining about no manual have driven a dual clutch transmission? Before I drove a 911 with PDK I might have said the same, but not anymore. Really all they are going to miss is the clutch pedal. I know we live in a time when everybody bitches about everything. How spoiled we have become, #1stWorldProblems:(

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gftbBLTPJmwI6VvjQvhMbmDC2NlZjwBr2fXA4q6YXGdEyCBXvZ7aNyrqnFEhIlaK