1 2 3 4
Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/19 1:33 p.m.

In reply to te72 :

In 1997, retail on an MR2 Turbo was indeed around $70k in 1997 dollars.

That is why sales figures were so low.  Notice the other Japanese makes pretty much stopped selling their performance cars around the same time.  It wasn't OBD-II, it was a really strong Yen and weak dollar.  

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/27/19 2:41 p.m.

My opinion is moot.  If I had $60,000 I could pay off my student loans. And besides, if I had that money to spend on a car I agree, I would have an ND Miata with a Flyin Miata LS swap. 

I've ridden in one Vette, but I came really close to making it two at the last scca autocross in Daytona.

I was sitting in this car with my helmet on when the weather hit and the rest of the day was cancelled. I was as disappointed about missing out on that ride as I was about not getting to race my own car.

It may look familiar.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/27/19 3:30 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:
Argo1 said:

I think it's a game changer.  Causing me to re-assess my brand loyalty.  (997 C4S)  May have to buy one in a year after the markups and price gouging are over.

As someone who has owned a lot of Mustangs, quite a few Miatas, a few Corvettes and has a few Porsche’s, I assure Porsche’s age much better.  A domestic car has an awesome V8, but the rest of the far disintegrates around it and you.  A Porsche holds up really well.

A domestic car is like that hot hollywood starlet that ages horribly.  A Porsche is Jennifer Anniston and stays hot.  A Miata is old faithful.  She’s the one that was kinda hot when young but had a few flaws, but she maintains herself well and looks great after 20 years.  

Corvettes are hot for a few years, but they go down hill fast.  

And I would say just the opposite. To me the C5 has aged really well. I still prefer its looks to the C6 & C7.   Don’t get me wrong I don’t dislike the 6&7 at all. The C5 zo6 was a supermodel of its time and has aged really well. I would say it has aged equally as well if not better than a early Miata. Also you never purchased a C5 for its interior. It was all about the drive. Lastly is there a new Porsche with the same or better performance as the new Corvette for the same price?    I don’t think so but I could be wrong.  I have had a Porsche in my driveway of some sort since the late 80’s and let me tell you the interiors of them are just as bad. Cracked dashes. Buttons that you end up pushing in to the dash. Seats that fall apart. I don’t think Porsche quality is anything to brag about. Another thing is we don’t know how the interior will stand the test of time so it is kind of dump to say this corvettes interior will fall apart around you when we don’t know.  There is a good chance they will but it is all speculation at the moment. 

Argo1
Argo1 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/27/19 6:06 p.m.
AnthonyGS said:
Argo1 said:

I think it's a game changer.  Causing me to re-assess my brand loyalty.  (997 C4S)  May have to buy one in a year after the markups and price gouging are over.

As someone who has owned a lot of Mustangs, quite a few Miatas, a few Corvettes and has a few Porsche’s, I assure Porsche’s age much better.  A domestic car has an awesome V8, but the rest of the far disintegrates around it and you.  A Porsche holds up really well.

A domestic car is like that hot hollywood starlet that ages horribly.  A Porsche is Jennifer Anniston and stays hot.  A Miata is old faithful.  She’s the one that was kinda hot when young but had a few flaws, but she maintains herself well and looks great after 20 years.  

A true observation.  Ultimately, you get what you pay for.  Both my '00 996 C2 coupe and my '07 997 C4S cab look and run like new.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
7/27/19 10:05 p.m.

I like the car (I even like that strip of buttons that is upsetting people), but they shouldn't do contrasting stitching if they can't sew evenly or in two parallel paths. This looks terrible and shows up in several places. Hopefully it's a pre-production thing:

Opti
Opti Dork
7/27/19 11:11 p.m.

I've seen worse on much more expensive cars.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
7/28/19 1:32 a.m.
Opti said:

I've seen worse on much more expensive cars.

And I've seen better on much cheaper cars. 

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/19 4:52 a.m.

That does it, if the stitching is flawed, I'm definitely not buying one.

wink

(And I don't have room for it.  And I don't have a purpose for it.  And I don't have the money.  But it's because of the stitching.  And the lack of amber turn signal lenses in the rear, red turn signals screams "cheap")

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
7/28/19 7:58 a.m.
Knurled. said:

That does it, if the stitching is flawed, I'm definitely not buying one.

wink

(And I don't have room for it.  And I don't have a purpose for it.  And I don't have the money.  But it's because of the stitching.  And the lack of amber turn signal lenses in the rear, red turn signals screams "cheap")

What an exhilarating feeling,  to have changed someone's mind on the Internet. I knew it would happen someday. 

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/28/19 11:13 a.m.

A little more than a week later and the watershed moment of the C8 for me is the realization that when it depreciates and can be found in the used market for $25k, that you'll be able to get parts and components for it. Suspension bits won't be unobtainable and have to be flown in from European after having been purchased through a Euro vendor, having to pay VAT or via a boutique US vendor whom merely imports bits to order as they "know a guy" and thus have North American distribution rights.

This will be the first time (in roughly 7-9 years) that you'll be able to get a mid engined V8 car for less than the cost of a new Accord and maintenance and repair will be no worse than ownership of any Audi. 

That's what is going to make the C8 special. SCCA and NASA need to be working HARD on setting up a spec class. 

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/28/19 11:20 a.m.
Thanks JamesMcD said:

I like the car (I even like that strip of buttons that is upsetting people), but they shouldn't do contrasting stitching if they can't sew evenly or in two parallel paths. This looks terrible and shows up in several places. Hopefully it's a pre-production thing:

That would not bother me.  Hell, I haven’t even checked  to see if all the contrast stitching lines up on the various cars I have with it.  I used to think I was picky,  but you guys have me wondering.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/28/19 7:17 p.m.
dean1484 said:
AnthonyGS said:
Argo1 said:

And I would say just the opposite. To me the C5 has aged really well. I still prefer its looks to the C6 & C7.   Don’t get me wrong I don’t dislike the 6&7 at all. The C5 zo6 was a supermodel of its time and has aged really well. I would say it has aged equally as well if not better than a early Miata. Also you never purchased a C5 for its interior. It was all about the drive. Lastly is there a new Porsche with the same or better performance as the new Corvette for the same price?    I don’t think so but I could be wrong.  I have had a Porsche in my driveway of some sort since the late 80’s and let me tell you the interiors of them are just as bad. Cracked dashes. Buttons that you end up pushing in to the dash. Seats that fall apart. I don’t think Porsche quality is anything to brag about. Another thing is we don’t know how the interior will stand the test of time so it is kind of dump to say this corvettes interior will fall apart around you when we don’t know.  There is a good chance they will but it is all speculation at the moment. 

I’ve owned 944s too....  the quality of them has nothing to do with what is in my garage.  I love the C5 too.  It’s huge bang for the coin which is what Corvette excels at.  It’s just not a great place to rack up miles in.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/19 9:02 p.m.

I've driven a few Impala rentals over the last year or so. I'd need a few more parking spots for one to fit in my fleet, but every time I get one, I really enjoy having a tech-filled, modestly luxurious (jumbo shrimp?) big car. I spend a few days looking at used listings too.

I'd be perfectly happy with equal or slightly nicer comfort, interior quality and tech.

Honestly, the prospect of having an Impala-like interior in a serious mid-engine car makes me happy.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon SuperDork
7/28/19 9:11 p.m.

I saw one today in the grocery store parking lot. It was the bright blue color with black wheels and is definitely a good looking thing in person.

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/28/19 9:21 p.m.

Autoblog is reporting that 2020 is nearly sold out, which apparently is based on people who have clicked the reserve button, filled the form, and gotten on the dealer list. 

300zxfreak
300zxfreak New Reader
7/29/19 7:33 a.m.

That “flawed” stitching thing has me wondering, did Chevy do this on purpose to replicate custom, hand crafted/sewn look ???  Hmmmm........

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
7/29/19 8:30 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

The only reason Porsche's don't age is because they don't change! I think a well kept C6 still stands out in traffic, and a nice C5 isn't easily dismissed either. Now the interior...

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/29/19 9:23 a.m.

So, this has settled into a discussion about the stitching on the seats, and a Porsche compare and contrast.

No one would have seen that coming.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man UltraDork
7/29/19 1:03 p.m.
mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
7/29/19 2:23 p.m.

PerGM, allotment of year 1, C8, all have been sold out ...

AnthonyGS
7/29/19 2:37 p.m.
StuntmanMike said:

In reply to AnthonyGS :

The only reason Porsche's don't age is because they don't change! I think a well kept C6 still stands out in traffic, and a nice C5 isn't easily dismissed either. Now the interior...

I agree, and that’s my point.  Great drivetrain, but......

AnthonyGS
7/29/19 2:40 p.m.
Floating Doc said:

So, this has settled into a discussion about the stitching on the seats, and a Porsche compare and contrast.

No one would have seen that coming.

I used to think performance numbers were the be all end all.....  then I got older.  GM apparently has always believed this.

I’m really pondering what car to buy for my 50th birthday in 16 months, and a C8 is on the list.  However I’m really starting to think that by the time I’m 60, I would still enjoy an ND Miata more.  And then there are the 996 and 997 turbo.....

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
7/29/19 5:09 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS :

I thought I’d like an ND too.  Spent a week with one and it just wasn’t for me.  If you can, go for an extended test drive.  I rented an RF from the Tampa airport.  I did the same thing with a c7 and like it much better.

D2W
D2W HalfDork
7/29/19 6:17 p.m.

Any guesses on what first year production numbers will be?

JamesMcD
JamesMcD SuperDork
7/29/19 6:55 p.m.

It's kinda strange that we'll soon have super-cars driving around all over the place.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9rnHKcGrYA6tNMnnNoUXmhFKCPmxNuXFlr2B5MQoyUUpbzGcA3MIkePIE9JLfGZo