1 2 3 ... 7
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/16/19 8:09 a.m.
feature_image

We’re heard the hype and seen the fanfare: This coming Thursday, Chevrolet will take the wraps off the all-new C8 Corvette. Our own J.G. Pasterjak will be there in person. 

So, what do you think that we’ll see? Did the disguised prototypes give it away, or did Chevy send us on a wild goose chase? And even though we’re all …

Read the rest of the story

Mike
Mike GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/16/19 8:19 a.m.

I'm old enough to have seen a few Corvette reveals.

We'll learn that the new Corvette finally has an interior quality, comfort and sophistication that allow it to be an effective competitor to its European rivals. Gone are the economy parts bin trim and squeaky build quality. That it finally is a total package, with a combination of the long-haul comfort it has been lacking with the sort of performance that will finally make Stuttgart and even Modena wake up and take notice.

My hope is that they price it such that middle-class Americans have a chance to buy it. I like Corvettes. Dad had a '53, and always talked about getting a '64. I grew up with the fandom, and as much as I talk about European brands, I would love to spec out a Vette just for me one day. Make mine any color, so long as it's white.

(Edits- add final para and fix some language in first)

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/16/19 8:23 a.m.

I just want smooth design and not gaudy trim that looks like they bought it at Pep boys. 

T.J.
T.J. MegaDork
7/16/19 8:36 a.m.

The spy shot makes it look like just another generic mid-engined supercar. I imagine I will have a tough time figuring out whether I am looking at a Ferrari, a McLaren or the new Corvette when I eventually see one in the wild. Although, I do not have much interest in such cars, I do hope that this new Vette is good enough in performance/price/build quality to be a real contender in the market.

StuntmanMike
StuntmanMike New Reader
7/16/19 8:39 a.m.

I would expect it to be a lot more expensive, but that wouldn't make sense because they would alienate most of their base. I also expect performance to be even higher, and that old school Corvette guys will still hate on it. That's what happened for every new generation that I've been around for. Each model gets significantly better but people always complain, I think because the new model instantly outdates whatever they are driving.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/16/19 9:05 a.m.
Mike said:
We'll learn that the new Corvette finally has an interior quality, comfort and sophistication that allow it to be an effective competitor to its European rivals. Gone are the economy parts bin trim and squeaky build quality. That it finally is a total package, with a combination of the long-haul comfort it has been lacking with the sort of performance that will finally make Stuttgart and even Modena wake up and take notice.

This has been said at every Corvette launch since the C4, and within 5 mins of it being launched people realize it's not true and start talking about how the NEXT Corvette will be these things.

That's not to knock any of them, they are brilliant vehicles for the price point.  I just hope that it's a little more restrained in the details than the C7.  The C6 looked and still looks clean.  To me the C7 looks like the Designers should have put down their pencils and stepped away six months earlier.  The basic shape is so so right, but there is just too much extraneous detail that detracts from the look.  I also hope it looks somehow 'American' and not just another cookie-cutter mid engined supercar. 

I just hope they are priced like and will depreciate like prior Corvette's devil

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/16/19 9:17 a.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

cookie-cutter mid engined supercar. 

Sorry, I just find this particular statement hilarious. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/19 9:31 a.m.

I think, or at least hope, there's a lot of padding under that camo wrap and it looks better and more Corvette-like than we might've guessed. I have no problem with a mid-engined Corvette as long as the price doesn't fly up because of it, although I don't have enough optimism to think it won't.

It's true that a lot of mid-engined supercars have a similar shape, that's the result of aerodynamic and packaging optimizations. They'll have to carry over Corvette styling hints everywhere they can to make the Corvette stand out from the others.

Also, either that pic of JG is quite old, or he should start Grassroots Mangroomingsports laugh

The0retical
The0retical UberDork
7/16/19 9:42 a.m.
z31maniac said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

I'd argue if it's anywhere near or over $100k ($90k plus for the base model for the sake of argument) that's exactly what it is.

I expect a superb car for it's era as every Corvette has been since inception. Hopefully not moving much beyond $70k.

Not that I can afford one new anyway, but I'd like to own a new one eventually. A huge increase in price makes that less likely as it opens a lot of other options up.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/19 9:50 a.m.

The Corvette will not have a great interior that rivals the Germans. It will not have a smooth, clean exterior that looks great from every angle. These are not Corvette hallmarks, and have you seen how poorly the new NSX is selling? It has all that and no one wants it. Why? Because it doesn't stir emotion and isn't a beast on the track. 

The C8 will adhere to the long-standing Corvette mantra: performance that every other manufacturer wishes they could match for the price. GM can make some really powerful V8 motors and they know how to make a car handle, the mid-engine layout will let them overcome the limitations of a front-engine car. It will look sleek and fast and aggressive, but there will be some ungainly angles and some plastic bits added on. The interior will be a big improvement, but it won't be an Aston Martin in there. The performance will be amazing, with the base model easily matching the old ZR1 at the 'Ring, and the new performance models going even faster.   

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/16/19 9:57 a.m.

Tacky airbrushed hood murals. 

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/16/19 10:03 a.m.
Mike said:

That it finally is a total package, with a combination of the long-haul comfort it has been lacking with the sort of performance that will finally make Stuttgart and even Modena wake up and take notice.

The folks in Europe will never take notice of the Corvette because it's a Corvette. No matter how good it gets, it will never have the cachet of a European brand in Europe. 

Spoolpigeon
Spoolpigeon PowerDork
7/16/19 10:06 a.m.

I expect massive amounts of boomers cashing in their 401ks. 

I also expect a bunch of Fudds proclaiming that it’s not a “real” vette because the engine isn’t in the front. 

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
7/16/19 10:59 a.m.

Questionable aesthetics aside, a 450-500hp mid-engine car that starts around $70-75k would be unequaled in the marketplace and should be a screaming performance bargain.

It's twice the power of a base Cayman or Alfa 4C for the same money.

It's similar performance specs to an Audi R8, or Huracan for half the price.

And it can be serviced at any GM dealer in most any small town.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/16/19 11:06 a.m.

I expect great performance, ugly styling, a 6 figure price tag and a short life before slow sales end it.

Never liked the mid engine Corvette idea even though it's been thrown around since the late 60s.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
7/16/19 11:15 a.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku :

I get what you’re saying, but sincerely hope you’re wrong. 

JimS
JimS Reader
7/16/19 11:38 a.m.

Mid-engine cars don't have to have radical gaudy styling like most super cars. Although not considered super cars the Boxster and Cayman have clean classic styling. But I guess when you're paying super car  money you want to stand out in a crowd. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/16/19 11:45 a.m.
The0retical said:
z31maniac said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

I'd argue if it's anywhere near or over $100k ($90k plus for the base model for the sake of argument) that's exactly what it is.

I expect a superb car for it's era as every Corvette has been since inception. Hopefully not moving much beyond $70k.

Not that I can afford one new anyway, but I'd like to own a new one eventually. A huge increase in price makes that less likely as it opens a lot of other options up.

"cookie-cutter" "supercar"

That's what I found amusing. 

GTXVette
GTXVette UltraDork
7/16/19 1:31 p.m.

WoW ,

That looks Just Like .......

My Challenge Car.,

Lucius
Lucius New Reader
7/16/19 4:06 p.m.

I suspect it’ll look cool, perform well, still have plastic bits, & be too expensive for me to buy in the next 15 years. Somehow Monster drinking, tank top wearing guys can afford them - especially the yellow ones...

Any word about factory backed racing for these?

My dad took me on a tour of the plant in Bowling Green to see the C4 being built - he died this past Christmas night; I suspect I’ll go see these being made and think about how he instilled a love of cars in me from a young age...

Love the retro JG pic, looking forward to hearing what’s on the GM buffet tomorrow.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus New Reader
7/16/19 4:30 p.m.

Excellent performance, ugly styling, and a cheap plastic interior.  Hopefully they keep the price down in Corvette territory.  I imagine there's going to be a lot of negative press when it comes out, because it'll be ugly and mid engined.  I'm personally excited for the mid engine switch, but I know a lot of people are going to throw a fit about it.

te72
te72 Reader
7/17/19 12:25 a.m.

I expect track records to start being challenged, seems the thing to do these days.

...and I couldn't be happier. Chevy is finally putting a chassis that can keep up with the engine in the Vette. Another thing I love? The Corvette depreciation cycle, everybody gets to move up a peg, those C5's are going to become an absolute bargain, and C6's will move into "suddenly feel like I should buy one" territory. I suspect C7's will still be a bit pricey, as faster C6's are currently.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/17/19 2:31 a.m.

There will be a bitch from everybody about something they don’t like. And just not the whole damn thing.

Thats what I expect.

ultraclyde
ultraclyde PowerDork
7/17/19 6:01 a.m.

The camo wrapped body reminds me of the turbo Lotus from the 80s. That's not bad exactly, but I'm not sure it the look they're shooting for.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
7/17/19 6:07 a.m.

What I want is for them to continue to make a proper crap version with a mid tier GM interior and a base engine that's a mass produced 400hp truck motor. I want it to be cheap enough that they sell volume. This will give them room to produce 800hp variants that light the world on fire for half of what they would cost from the prestige manufacturers. 

What I think I'm going to see is a base car that is priced to compete with the GT4 Cayman at 95k instead of the base Cayman at 55k. 

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vviyg2fBFLHhoDTbife6dvEwft6Gve4lKErwG4Jxh4M8tmejujKlmeKmSEmdp7Wt