1 2
David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/26/10 1:21 p.m.

Any feelings on the new Caddy CTS wagon? Comment away!

Linky: http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/new-cars/2010-33-cts-v6-premium-collection/

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 1:32 p.m.

Was ECTO-1 really a wagon? I guess a hearse falls in that category.

If there's a CTS-V version, it would catch my attention for sure.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
5/26/10 1:49 p.m.

Pros: It's a wagon.

Cons: GM will spend hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars to market it to all us taxpayers.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 2:00 p.m.

My opinion has been posted.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
5/26/10 2:06 p.m.

I like it better than their sedans.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
5/26/10 2:07 p.m.

Aren't there already wagons in the lineup that aren't Cadillacs?

GM is at it again.

Shawn

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog HalfDork
5/26/10 2:13 p.m.

Wagons rule.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla Dork
5/26/10 2:20 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: Wagons rule.

+11111111111111111111111111!1!1one!!!!!!eleventy!11!

I love wagons.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
5/26/10 2:25 p.m.

I'm on the fence with it. I kinda like how it looks (I LOVE wagons!), but it needs some sort of spoiler on the roof. Nothing crazy, but it needs something, kinda like the Volvo V70R wagons; something simple and sporty.

The other turn-off is the price. I saw one recently that a local dealer plopped in a shopping mall. The sticker on it was around $55,000!!! Maybe in like 5 years, when it's worth about $5,000, maybe I'll look at them again.

klipless
klipless Reader
5/26/10 2:40 p.m.

I would imagine that owning a CTS wagon would be like marring the upper-middle class pretty girl. Practical, attractive, with a touch of luxury. If it's equipped with a manual, then maybe she likes to watch sports with you too. Then you get to the V version, it's like all of the above, but a freak between the sheets. You could take her grocery shopping or to the movies, and she might get some looks, but only you know the whole story.

My plan is to start stuffing money away a little bit at a time. At some point in the future, that account will equal the depreciated value of the CTS-V wagon. And then I pull lhe trigger.

NYG95GA
NYG95GA SuperDork
5/26/10 2:59 p.m.
John Brown wrote: My opinion has been posted.

What he said.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Reader
5/26/10 3:06 p.m.

Not bad looking. The "C" pillar could be a little shorter. I'm a fan of wagons. They have all the benefits of SUV/CUVs without the tendency to roll over. I wish far more cars were available as wagons, in all sizes and price ranges.

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
5/26/10 3:11 p.m.

it's just my opinion, but I have the feeling that Cadillac/GM came up with these wagons (the CTS and STS? SRS?) mostly to compete with the Germans....in Europe. We get "the spillover" of production, but there also doesn't seem to be that many on the streets in my area. Of course, I was out in the 'burbs this afternoon and noticed 1 of the 2 Cadillac/Saab dealers here in Memphis is now closing.

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
5/26/10 3:16 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I'm on the fence with it. I kinda like how it looks (I LOVE wagons!), but it needs some sort of spoiler on the roof. Nothing crazy, but it needs something, kinda like the Volvo V70R wagons; something simple and sporty. The other turn-off is the price. I saw one recently that a local dealer plopped in a shopping mall. The sticker on it was around $55,000!!! Maybe in like 5 years, when it's worth about $5,000, maybe I'll look at them again.

hmmm I don't think my GM vehicles agree with you on depreciation. 65 Riviera, 71 Chevelle 454SS, 72 Firebird, 78 WS6 SE Trans Am, 09 Solstice GXP Coupe, 91 Suburban.....okay maybe the Suburban..

As far as the wagon I like the looks a lot, but will admit I haven't sat in one yet. I'll wait until the CTSV comes out and check it out then. My buddy has a CTSV sedan. He has owned a ton of cars and says the V is his favorite.

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
5/26/10 3:19 p.m.
integraguy wrote: it's just my opinion, but I have the feeling that Cadillac/GM came up with these wagons (the CTS and STS? SRS?) mostly to compete with the Germans....in Europe. We get "the spillover" of production, but there also doesn't seem to be that many on the streets in my area.

I believe you are right. If you want to compete in the European luxury market, you need a wagon/estate somewhere in your line-up.

I'm a bit disappointed after reading that review, since I love the looks of the CTS wagon. Hopefully the CTS-V wagon will fare better, since that's about the only Caddy I can see myself buying in the future (used, of course).

integraguy
integraguy HalfDork
5/26/10 3:25 p.m.

Sorry to reference another mag, but the British mag CAR actually thought the CTS and the CTS-V were pretty good cars. They like most of Cadillac's lineup in Europe while Chevy's Euro lineup of discarded Daewoo designs gets a HUGE thumbs DOWN...so to speak.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/26/10 3:38 p.m.

Sadly I didn't get a chance to test the wagon when it was here at the office. I did however spend some time with the CTS sedan a couple of weeks back and loved it. It is a shame, because I really dig the look of the wagon.

I'm not sure if the seats were the same in the wagon, but they rocked in the sedan. (Recaros) It could be the wagon had different thrones, or just that different body types find different seats comfortable vs. unbearable. (I found the 370Z seats painfully uncomfortable, other staffers like them)

I thought the sedan was a great driving, comfortable, solid handling machine. I found no faults with the interior either. If I was in the market for a $50K car, the CTS would be on my short list. It isn't a slave to tech like most BMWs, it isn't boring like most Lexus models, and it has a nicer more solid feel than the recent Infiniti cars I've sampled. It is a nicely done package.

If you are in this end of the market, give one a look.

JFX001
JFX001 Dork
5/26/10 3:56 p.m.

I like it....if I were inclined to buy a new wagon, it would be a toss up between the Caddy and the Flex Titanium.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 4:02 p.m.

If I was loaded I'd be ordering a CTS-V wagon & a Regal GS right now.

Unfortunately, I can't imagine being in a strong enough cash position to be comfortable dropping that much on a depreciating item. Fortunately, it's GM so it should depreciate to the point I can afford it in 5-years or so.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
5/26/10 4:42 p.m.
Cotton wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: I'm on the fence with it. I kinda like how it looks (I LOVE wagons!), but it needs some sort of spoiler on the roof. Nothing crazy, but it needs something, kinda like the Volvo V70R wagons; something simple and sporty. The other turn-off is the price. I saw one recently that a local dealer plopped in a shopping mall. The sticker on it was around $55,000!!! Maybe in like 5 years, when it's worth about $5,000, maybe I'll look at them again.
hmmm I don't think my GM vehicles agree with you on depreciation. 65 Riviera, 71 Chevelle 454SS, 72 Firebird, 78 WS6 SE Trans Am, 09 Solstice GXP Coupe, 91 Suburban.....okay maybe the Suburban.. As far as the wagon I like the looks a lot, but will admit I haven't sat in one yet. I'll wait until the CTSV comes out and check it out then. My buddy has a CTSV sedan. He has owned a ton of cars and says the V is his favorite.

This car isn't destined to be a classic like many of those cars were. It's Caddy's entry level car with a bubble butt!

(A little OT...) I come from a family that exclusively owned GM cars for years. It reminds me of a conversation I had with my parents years ago about their old 1986 Olds 98 Regency Brougham that they bought new back in the day. They swore up and down that it would someday be a classic, much like their older 1970 Olds 98 convertible that they used to also have. I said that there's no way that's going to happen. Fast forward to now. Yeah, the 1986 Olds was kinda cool with it's "Castlevania Life Bar" digital speedometer, its voice module that announced all sorts of things that broke on the car, and its technologically advanced for its day 3.8L Multiport EFI V6, but ultimately it's still 80's FWD trash. What's a nice example worth these days? $5,000 tops?

The 1970 Olds is worth FAR more, because it was a classic from the start. It had the best of everything, gobs of horsepower from that stump pulling 455, and was a very low production model. Nice examples of this car (if you can even find one) command into the $30K+ range.

How much does a used CTS go for these days? Do they hold their resale value well? Will they be considered classics in 15-20 years? These are questions that you have to ask yourself.

A CTS-V Wagon on the other hand... That should hold its value for a while. What a beast!!! And hey, GM, while you're doing the wagon thing. bring over that hot Opel Insignia AWD Turbo wagon you have as the Regal GS Touring. Please!!!!

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
5/26/10 5:11 p.m.

A CTS-V wagon (CTW-V?) will be mine.

Bryce

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
5/26/10 5:32 p.m.

ECTO-1 was neither a wagon, nor a hearse. It was an ambulance.

As for a Caddy wagon, I'd rock the hell out of one (used of course.)

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/26/10 6:24 p.m.

D'oh. You're right.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt Dork
5/26/10 7:47 p.m.
integraguy wrote: it's just my opinion, but I have the feeling that Cadillac/GM came up with these wagons (the CTS and STS? SRS?) mostly to compete with the Germans....in Europe. We get "the spillover" of production, but there also doesn't seem to be that many on the streets in my area. Of course, I was out in the 'burbs this afternoon and noticed 1 of the 2 Cadillac/Saab dealers here in Memphis is now closing.

That would be my guess too - it looks like something they cooked up to compete with BMW and Mercedes.

More new RWD wagons on the market now should hopefully mean more interesting choices if I can save up enough cash in a few years for a family-mobile.

griffin729
griffin729 Reader
5/26/10 8:10 p.m.

Since I first saw pics I have liked the looks. If I were in a position to look I would consider it, but sadly I currently don't even have a job.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iuI9TjCqYnpmUEUxuumhKE62MlQ5CZSpgD1KkCy0Qg8inMDDAkZjGlqW31lGcVgD