1 2 3
Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess MegaDork
6/1/19 3:20 p.m.
STM317 said:

Sometimes I think GM is the real world Dilbert cartoon. 

"We will water down the brand that we've spent a decade and a half building, thereby destroying that brand. And then we'll spend a fortune to create a new brand that does the same thing as the old brand."

I learned more about how the business world works by reading Dilbert than 4 years of Business School at Texas A&M.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/1/19 5:35 p.m.
Appleseed said:
NickD said:

Spotted at an Import Alliance, many moons ago. It was a fender flared Cadillac Catera drift car on rad Pontiac(?) wheels.

I'll bet those are first gen Viper wheels.

Give that man a gold star. Saw a first-gen Viper and those are the wheels

Vigo
Vigo MegaDork
6/1/19 8:51 p.m.

The CT5-V, which is the CTS-V's replacement, is even worse. It comes with a 3.0L TT V6 that makes 355hp and 400lb-ft of torque. That's only 20hp more than the old naturally-aspirated V6 in the regular CTS. 

That sounds eerily similar to what i posted in the Supra thread. angel 

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
6/2/19 5:19 p.m.
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I just read an article that ecplained that V doesn't mean what V used to and there will be something new above V that is like the old V. Maybe. Doesn't make me feel all warm and Fuzzy about the whole thing. 

I mean, isn't this basically what every other lux manufacturer does anyhow? BMW diluting the ///M badge, Benz AMGs, Lexus and Infinity with their "sport" lines? Maybe not apples, but let's face it....most people buying luxury cars just want the bragging rights of the badge and don't much care if it's 300hp or 500hp, in the end. A coworker of mine leases new AMG Benzes every few years, and fully admits he doesn't know what engine it has and never drives very fast, corners fast, or does any motorsports. He just thinks the AMG stuff on the car is cool....

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/3/19 2:08 p.m.

Apparently, the reason that the new Vs are so wimpy is that people were intimidated by them. Or at least that's what Mark Reuss is saying

https://jalopnik.com/the-old-cadillac-v-series-cars-intimidated-people-so-1835198421

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/3/19 2:40 p.m.
irish44j said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

I just read an article that ecplained that V doesn't mean what V used to and there will be something new above V that is like the old V. Maybe. Doesn't make me feel all warm and Fuzzy about the whole thing. 

I mean, isn't this basically what every other lux manufacturer does anyhow? BMW diluting the ///M badge, Benz AMGs, Lexus and Infinity with their "sport" lines? Maybe not apples, but let's face it....most people buying luxury cars just want the bragging rights of the badge and don't much care if it's 300hp or 500hp, in the end. A coworker of mine leases new AMG Benzes every few years, and fully admits he doesn't know what engine it has and never drives very fast, corners fast, or does any motorsports. He just thinks the AMG stuff on the car is cool....

Putting an M badge on an SUV that makes 550+ HP, is way different than if the next M3/4 came out with significantly less thrust.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
6/3/19 3:04 p.m.
NickD said:

Apparently, the reason that the new Vs are so wimpy is that people were intimidated by them. Or at least that's what Mark Reuss is saying

https://jalopnik.com/the-old-cadillac-v-series-cars-intimidated-people-so-1835198421

Someone needs to put a muzzle on him.  That's terrible PR to say something like that publically, even if true.  I suppose that's why BMW cut power on the M5 to... oh wait they didn't.  The M5 makes 600 horsepower!  While to be fair, the smaller M4 is more akin to the smaller Cadillacs, so they must've cut power there...  no?  The M4 makes 425hp?  Well surely the next gen M4 will make less.... no?  the 2020 model is 450+ hp?! 

Clearly power is what was wrong with the V models.  (slaps forehead). 

They already had the V-Sport.  There's rumor as mentioned of a new higher power model above these.  Why then, would they have fumbled this rollout so hard.  They've created confusion, disapointed a fan base, and created negative press.  GM.  Ugh.  

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/3/19 3:08 p.m.
z31maniac said:
irish44j said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Putting an M badge on an SUV that makes 550+ HP, is way different than if the next M3/4 came out with significantly less thrust.

Mercedes is diluting the AMG badge though. Mercedes now is making it so that every car has an AMG variant, and the AMG just means that its the most powerful engine option for the car.

759NRNG
759NRNG SuperDork
6/5/19 9:08 a.m.

Well, having read all this I'm even more pleased with my LSA (M6) version that has been recording low 20 mpgs while traversing middle America these past six days....

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/5/19 9:13 a.m.
NickD said:
z31maniac said:
irish44j said:
mazdeuce - Seth said:

Mercedes is diluting the AMG badge though. Mercedes now is making it so that every car has an AMG variant, and the AMG just means that its the most powerful engine option for the car.

BMW is doing the same with M badge. My point was that putting "the badge" on a model and giving it way more power/brakes/etc, is way different than if the next M3/4 came out with 290hp instead of more than the current model.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/5/19 9:16 a.m.

Viper wheels, yes. 

But the Pontiac guess is well founded. 

Let's just say they had a 3-spoke period.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
6/5/19 10:29 a.m.
pinchvalve said:

Viper wheels, yes. 

But the Pontiac guess is well founded. 

Let's just say they had a 3-spoke period.

As did GMC

chandler
chandler PowerDork
6/5/19 11:49 a.m.
NickD said:
Appleseed said:
NickD said:

Spotted at an Import Alliance, many moons ago. It was a fender flared Cadillac Catera drift car on rad Pontiac(?) wheels.

I'll bet those are first gen Viper wheels.

Give that man a gold star. Saw a first-gen Viper and those are the wheels

I had those on my 93 Dakota ext cab, they didn’t fit at all! I massaged the fenders like crazy.

iansane
iansane GRM+ Member
6/5/19 12:01 p.m.

I wonder if that means 6 lug adapters or gen1 ctsv hubs and a creative thought process toward bolt pattern.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/5/19 5:41 p.m.

I did not know those were 6 lug. I learned something today.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf SuperDork
6/6/19 9:02 a.m.

It seems the PR spin is continuing this morning after having fumbled the initial debut.  No wait... REAL V cars are coming.  

https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/mark-phelan/2019/06/06/cadillac-v-series-sedan/1340604001/

"There will still be V-series cars that match the performance of the 640-horsepower CTS-V and 464-hp ATS-V.

A handful of people saw and heard test models for the first two take a lap around the Indy Racing road course on Detroit’s Belle Isle last Saturday. The camouflaged versions of what are likely to be 2021 or 2022 models of new track-ready CT4-V and CT5-V sport sedans looked and sounded like the kind of super-sedan V-series fans and owners have come to expect."

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/6/19 1:51 p.m.
Appleseed said:

I did not know those were 6 lug. I learned something today.

Seems like they used Dakota running gear, doesn't it?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Y8rta8kUt5RkdkiFJYo1xoUyT2OOxYa7xu6ohVNr4teYKvqdMxFZgzSjecwND9PE