maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/28/08 10:04 p.m.

Caliber SRT-4

Does this make up for its shortcomings? Does this sway anyone toward buying one? Can 10,000 dollars make an SRT-4 better than a Cobalt SS, or a Mazdaspeed 3?

discuss.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Reader
12/28/08 10:37 p.m.

Not crazy about the looks but... it's a heck of deal. The left over money would go a long way in making it better.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/29/08 7:05 a.m.

Nope. Still not even remotely interested. It's too big, too slow, and waaaaay too ugly.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
12/29/08 7:38 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: Can 10,000 dollars make an SRT-4 better than a Cobalt SS, or a Mazdaspeed 3?

No.

I'm being an arse. 10K off does give it the best power to $$ ratio. $16k total right?

MCarp22
MCarp22 New Reader
12/29/08 7:51 a.m.

Meh, maybe if i was into drag racing and didn't mind the PT Cruiser-like characteristics. Not the car for me.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
12/29/08 9:58 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: Caliber SRT-4 Does this make up for its shortcomings?

Nope. Too fugly.

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Reader
12/29/08 10:49 a.m.

Wow, I am surpised to hear so many "no"s from this money grubbing crowd,

But I have to say. even at 16k I am not even slightly interested...

fastEddie
fastEddie Dork
12/29/08 10:53 a.m.

Doesn't it have some goofy electronic-nanny-excuse-for-a-limited-slip in lieu of the real deal (and I'm not talking about the standard traction control, I seem to remember something more)?

EDIT - hmm, maybe not. Maybe I'm confusing it with the MS6's wannabe AWD system.

RE-EDIT - AH! I'm not (so) crazy!!

AutomobileMag said: Since there is no limited-slip differential, the ABS works the big calipers overtime to help juggle the torque between the front wheels.
Travis_K
Travis_K Reader
12/29/08 12:12 p.m.

Replacing the Neon with the Caliber was a huge mistake.

snipes
snipes New Reader
12/29/08 1:30 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: Replacing the Neon with the Caliber was a huge mistake.

Yup, nothing says big mistake like 40% off. They would have done them selves a favor if they had just left work to play golf instead of building that car.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
12/29/08 1:33 p.m.

i think it would still be cheaper to buy the drivetrain from a wrecked SRT-4 to drop into my 1st gen R/T

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/29/08 1:45 p.m.

It looks like some kid spent waaaaay to much money to make the cast-off car their parents gave them look cool. If it were a total sleeper, maybe.

As it is... what's the point? It is too costly for an economobile appliance, too bloated to make a good sportscar, and just generally too fugly to want to be seen in. I'd rather drive a pink VW Cabriolet.

It has Hp. That's it. Hp does not always equate to fun.

petegossett
petegossett GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/29/08 2:41 p.m.

If they offered the turbo+manual+AWD combo, I could probably get past the points others have noted. Unfortunately, they missed that boat too...

bigbenms6
bigbenms6 None
12/29/08 3:14 p.m.

I think if you were just out of college wanting to experiment with a budget and warrenty it could be a good first mod type car, but in the end i would not want one as a serious project or DD.

P.S. My MAZDASpeed 6 may have ghetto AWD but you find a better new car for the 21,950 i paid ;)

Lugnut
Lugnut Reader
12/29/08 4:36 p.m.

Everybody says bloated, overweight, blah blah blah. The Caliber SRT4 is 36 lbs heavier than the MS3. It has multiple 4- and 5-star crash ratings, and front- and side-impacts are 5 stars vs. the MS3's 4.

I'm not necessarily rushing to the car's defense. I've never had one, I've never driven one. I don't think they're ugly, but seriously, this is a lot of unnecessary bashing for a car that doesn't spec out half bad.

Plus, the SRT4 Neon was nearly 3,000lbs. The Caliber is 3154.

Sorry, like I said I am not preaching about this car's virtues. I just note the general dislike of anything that isn't a P71, E30, or Miata, or is newer than 1995. There are a lot of "I thinks" and "looks likes" and "I hears" and not enough, "when I drove one..."

It's faster than my P71. It's faster than my turbo brick. It's $10,000 off. I approve.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/29/08 5:35 p.m.

thats how they should be priced in the first place. I looked at the base models when searching for a new car because of the deals on them, but honda resale value > all.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
12/29/08 5:57 p.m.

I have driven a base model, it is pretty bland inside, but no less exciting than my crown victoria. it was a decent car to drive...for a "compact"

given the spec sheet, I think I might go for one when I graduate...maybe.

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
12/29/08 6:05 p.m.
Lugnut wrote: Everybody says bloated, overweight, blah blah blah. The Caliber SRT4 is 36 lbs heavier than the MS3. It has multiple 4- and 5-star crash ratings, and front- and side-impacts are 5 stars vs. the MS3's 4. ... Plus, the SRT4 Neon was nearly 3,000lbs. The Caliber is 3154.

Maybe it just looks bigger than it is because of that stupid hood that looks like it was taken off a riced-out Dodge Ram.

If they took off the "Look-at-me" bits, I might sing a different tune. They could have made it an unassuming sleeper. It would be funny to smoke people in a stock-looking Caliber.

They just made an ugly car uglier.

OzCop
OzCop New Reader
12/29/08 8:11 p.m.

I rented one last year while visiting Gatlinburg driving my RV. I had the CRX on the trailer, so I didn't have a street car for the three days we were going to be there. I'm a big guy, and while the doors look adequate from the outside, when you open them, the b pillar was quite intrusive, especially the lower section that curves into the step sill. It was really uncomfortable to enter/exit for a guy my size, and my wife, not a big woman, didn't care for it either. Not a bad driving car, but of course it was not the SRT 4, but the SXT rental variety...

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/29/08 8:52 p.m.

I agree that it is priced where I expect it to be based on the looks, especially compared to the MS3. That car looks like it should be worth more than it costs, the SRT looks like it should be priced at $16K.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NY8Ok2tqa7IxRMnYkrG7ZnfVLFkhcxWUojbnAq2O11kdezix2bMKKiGxqelHXzwz