1 2
weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/21/12 12:44 a.m.

okay, most of the time i just lurk around on here and read. i had a question in regards to my new car, since i haven't seen anyone locally auto-x one. it's a caliber srt4. so far it is all stock will have a different muffler and the added piping to run a dual setup.(planned mods before autox, are solid front motor mount, probably a new pcm(mopar stage 1), and then some coilovers or springs, along with a rear sub-frame brace, possibly a intake at least that's the plan/goal)

akamcfly
akamcfly Reader
1/21/12 7:54 a.m.

It comes down to whether you want to be competitive or just see auto cross as a fun hobby and way to enhance your skill behind the wheel.

If you want to be competitive, get a rule book before you make any changes to the car. You might be amazed at which modifications will place you in a different class.

Personally, I'd rather make the car the way I like it and just go out and have a good time.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
1/21/12 8:05 a.m.

Sounds to me like you'd be Street Touring with those mods.

Probably not competitive, if that matters to you.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/21/12 9:45 a.m.

Make sure you can actually autox it... the Caliber is/was on the exclusion list. Don't know if that's been changed.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/21/12 10:07 a.m.

SRT-4 Caliber is in GS, IIRC. Non SRT-Caliber is excluded.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/21/12 10:52 a.m.

Last time I ran in HS there was a Caliber SRT-4 in GS. mtn nailed it.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
1/21/12 4:24 p.m.

I can't imagine anyone who owns a NON SRT-4 Caliber doing any kind of racing in it, as 99% seem to have been sold with CVT or automatic.

I have seen 2 different SRT-4 Calibers, one was on CarMax awhile ago...these must be THE rarest "performance" Dodge sold in the last 25 years.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/21/12 4:46 p.m.
integraguy wrote: I can't imagine anyone who owns a NON SRT-4 Caliber doing any kind of racing in it, as 99% seem to have been sold with CVT or automatic. I have seen 2 different SRT-4 Calibers, one was on CarMax awhile ago...these must be THE rarest "performance" Dodge sold in the last 25 years.

there was under 6,000 of these made, as for being competitive, i doubt it never was last year when i had my maita it's all for fun.i am modding it how i see fit.

iceracer
iceracer SuperDork
1/21/12 4:59 p.m.

I read somewhere that a Chrysler engineer said that they could never get the Caliber handling right.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/21/12 5:11 p.m.

The one I watched got trounced by by a 2008 V6 Mustang.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/22/12 1:39 a.m.
aussiesmg wrote: The one I watched got trounced by by a 2008 V6 Mustang.

to me this is basically apples to oranges, but kinda strange if they would be in the same class.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/22/12 9:00 a.m.
weemanch wrote:
aussiesmg wrote: The one I watched got trounced by by a 2008 V6 Mustang.
to me this is basically apples to oranges, but kinda strange if they would be in the same class.

I think that the V6 Stang is in DS. Not sure though.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/22/12 9:07 a.m.

Well I am not a classing expert but they ran in the same class at FWSCCA last year

Greg Voth
Greg Voth HalfDork
1/22/12 10:45 a.m.

When I was at GRM a couple years ago we had one at the office as a press car. I ran it at a local autocross whatever stock class it was in (same as Mazdaspeed 3).

If I remember correctly I placed third or fourth. I believe a modified (within the stock rules Mazdaspeed 3 won) and I was less than a tenth of a second of a stock Mazdaspeed 3 that the guy had been running all season.

It was my first time running a FWD car in an autocross and while I am a decent driver I am certainly not top tier. I would think you could be competitive on a local level.

I agree with everyone else. I just modify my cars how I please and run them where ever they fall.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/22/12 10:32 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGN4B7GQZJ0&feature=share this probably explains why a normal caliber can't compete.

pres589
pres589 Dork
1/22/12 11:02 p.m.
weemanch wrote: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGN4B7GQZJ0&feature=share this probably explains why a normal caliber can't compete.
  1. Situation + "driving style" would probably have caused a roll-over in most vehicles, not just Lancer-based breadvans.

2. Can we please get more people screaming at me while I try to watch morans on YouTube? It really heightens the experience. A+ addition to the video.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/23/12 7:32 a.m.
weemanch wrote: okay, most of the time i just lurk around on here and read. i had a question in regards to my new car, since i haven't seen anyone locally auto-x one. it's a caliber srt4. so far it is all stock will have a different muffler and the added piping to run a dual setup.(planned mods before autox, are solid front motor mount, probably a new pcm(mopar stage 1), and then some coilovers or springs, along with a rear sub-frame brace, possibly a intake at least that's the plan/goal)
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Sounds to me like you'd be Street Touring with those mods. Probably not competitive, if that matters to you.

To clarify, the Stage 1 computer changes boost, so you couldn't run any Street Touring. You'd go to SP with those mods listed.

Moparman
Moparman HalfDork
1/23/12 7:12 p.m.

In reply to Gimp:

Don't think you can increase boost in SP. That would put you in Prepared or Street Mod.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/23/12 7:52 p.m.

On a side note, is there a list of cars banned for SCCA Solo?

Found it, Non SRT calibers, Tracker/sidekick/samuri, CJs, xB specifically listed, plus SUVs, minivans, 4x4 trucks.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
1/24/12 12:49 a.m.

Surprised this list doesn't include the Mercedes A class.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/24/12 3:50 a.m.
Gimp wrote:
weemanch wrote: okay, most of the time i just lurk around on here and read. i had a question in regards to my new car, since i haven't seen anyone locally auto-x one. it's a caliber srt4. so far it is all stock will have a different muffler and the added piping to run a dual setup.(planned mods before autox, are solid front motor mount, probably a new pcm(mopar stage 1), and then some coilovers or springs, along with a rear sub-frame brace, possibly a intake at least that's the plan/goal)
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Sounds to me like you'd be Street Touring with those mods. Probably not competitive, if that matters to you.
To clarify, the Stage 1 computer changes boost, so you couldn't run any Street Touring. You'd go to SP with those mods listed.

berkeley me, since the actual pcm. i am wanting is basically a step up above the stage 1.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
1/24/12 4:03 a.m.
weemanch wrote:
Gimp wrote:
berkeley me, since the actual pcm. i am wanting is basically a step up above the stage 1.

If you want to to get similar performance while staying in lower classes, I would suggest that instead of raising the boost you install a large downpipe for the turbo (if you have a puny wastegate this will cause boost creep, which is good, and if not it will still improve performance) and then an inexpensive 3 inch SINGLE exhaust.

I did this on my STX Eagle Talon back in the day and it had the benefit of giving me quicker spool, more power, less weight and it would bump my boost from the stock 11psi to almost 15 psi at high rpm, completely legally I might add. Probably won't get the extra boost with your computer controlled wastegate, but it's worth a try. You would get all the other benefits, though.

mtn
mtn SuperDork
1/24/12 4:10 a.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Surprised this list doesn't include the Mercedes A class.

Just because the list doesn't specifically call something out does not mean that the vehicle is not excluded. If the vehicle is not on the exclusion list and also is not classed, then there is a formula to see if it is allowed to run or not. I forget exactly what it is, but it is something to do with the ratio of width and height.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
1/24/12 7:45 a.m.
neon4891 wrote: On a side note, is there a list of cars banned for SCCA Solo? Found it, Non SRT calibers, Tracker/sidekick/samuri, CJs, xB specifically listed, plus SUVs, minivans, 4x4 trucks.

There is also a chart/formula that allows safety stewards the deny cars from competition at their discretion. It's based on track width vs. overall height (the Fit and a few other cars don't pass but are allowed to run anyway).

I believe in the newest fastrack the Chevy Sonic was excluded as well.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/24/12 8:22 a.m.
Moparman wrote: In reply to Gimp: Don't think you can increase boost in SP. That would put you in Prepared or Street Mod.

From the 2011 Rule Book:

4. Turbochargers and/or superchargers (forced induction) may not be added, changed, or modified (this does not allow ceramic coat- ing of turbochargers). On vehicles originally equipped with forced induction: a) No hardware changes or alterations to turbocharger(s) or supercharger(s), in size or number, are permitted. Turbocharg- ers or superchargers may be updated/backdated only in con- junction with the accompanying complete engine unit. b) No changes are allowed to waste gate(s) size, number, or lo- cation. No changes are allowed to variable-geometry turbine (VGT) hardware. c) No changes are allowed to supercharger drive system pulleys. Belt tensioners may be added/changed to reduce belt slip. d) No changes are permitted to blow-off/pop-off valves. e) Compressor bypass valves (CBVs) are considered part of the air intake system and may be added, replaced, or updated/ backdated independently of the other components of a forced induction system. f) Boost regulation systems, either electronic or mechanical, and electronic fuel cuts referencing boost pressure may be altered or modified except as prohibited herein. Boost pressure chang- es resulting from authorized changes are permitted.

That makes the Mopar Stage 1 computer good to go for SP. I ran it back when I had an SRT4 and thought it would be a good idea to run in CSP.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SxHxP1Nquv7nhNCx1dSis5BRwMcZY2oTXx7I59iZfKSDLvNlTsvwb9zXILKYQkEQ