1 2
Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/24/12 8:52 a.m.

Yep. ECU-boost is allowed in SP. I believe the solid motor mount would also put you in SP, although the latest Fastrack proposes loosening that rule a bit in ST* classes.

Granted, a fully prepped SP car can be practically un-streetable... but a lot of regions are running SP-Street Tire classes for guys running cars not quite so heavily prepped.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/24/12 12:52 p.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
weemanch wrote:
Gimp wrote:
weemanch wrote: okay, most of the time i just lurk around on here and read. i had a question in regards to my new car, since i haven't seen anyone locally auto-x one. it's a caliber srt4. so far it is all stock will have a different muffler and the added piping to run a dual setup.(planned mods before autox, are solid front motor mount, probably a new pcm(mopar stage 1), and then some coilovers or springs, along with a rear sub-frame brace, possibly a intake at least that's the plan/goal)
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Sounds to me like you'd be Street Touring with those mods. Probably not competitive, if that matters to you.
To clarify, the Stage 1 computer changes boost, so you couldn't run any Street Touring. You'd go to SP with those mods listed.
berkeley me, since the actual pcm. i am wanting is basically a step up above the stage 1.
If you want to to get similar performance while staying in lower classes, I would suggest that instead of raising the boost you install a large downpipe for the turbo (if you have a puny wastegate this will cause boost creep, which is good, and if not it will still improve performance) and then an inexpensive 3 inch SINGLE exhaust. I did this on my STX Eagle Talon back in the day and it had the benefit of giving me quicker spool, more power, less weight and it would bump my boost from the stock 11psi to almost 15 psi at high rpm, completely legally I might add. Probably won't get the extra boost with your computer controlled wastegate, but it's worth a try. You would get all the other benefits, though.

i won't do that cause i have a warranty still on this car and when i go and buy a down pipe it will be catless so that alone throws me in a higher class.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/24/12 12:57 p.m.
Ian F wrote: Yep. ECU-boost is allowed in SP. I believe the solid motor mount would also put you in SP, although the latest Fastrack proposes loosening that rule a bit in ST* classes. Granted, a fully prepped SP car can be practically un-streetable... but a lot of regions are running SP-Street Tire classes for guys running cars not quite so heavily prepped.

that is good, now i just wish all this stuff wouldn't put me in such a high class since i won't be making it a strictly auto x car. i'd rather end up in a ST class since this car won't ever see slicks.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
1/24/12 1:31 p.m.

Lots of regions are running an index for street tires in a class where R-comps are allowed. In our region you put a T before your class designation.

Brings some sanity back to the whole "R-comps in Stock Class" debacle.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
1/24/12 1:41 p.m.
weemanch wrote:
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
weemanch wrote:
Gimp wrote:
weemanch wrote: okay, most of the time i just lurk around on here and read. i had a question in regards to my new car, since i haven't seen anyone locally auto-x one. it's a caliber srt4. so far it is all stock will have a different muffler and the added piping to run a dual setup.(planned mods before autox, are solid front motor mount, probably a new pcm(mopar stage 1), and then some coilovers or springs, along with a rear sub-frame brace, possibly a intake at least that's the plan/goal)
DaewooOfDeath wrote: Sounds to me like you'd be Street Touring with those mods. Probably not competitive, if that matters to you.
To clarify, the Stage 1 computer changes boost, so you couldn't run any Street Touring. You'd go to SP with those mods listed.
berkeley me, since the actual pcm. i am wanting is basically a step up above the stage 1.
If you want to to get similar performance while staying in lower classes, I would suggest that instead of raising the boost you install a large downpipe for the turbo (if you have a puny wastegate this will cause boost creep, which is good, and if not it will still improve performance) and then an inexpensive 3 inch SINGLE exhaust. I did this on my STX Eagle Talon back in the day and it had the benefit of giving me quicker spool, more power, less weight and it would bump my boost from the stock 11psi to almost 15 psi at high rpm, completely legally I might add. Probably won't get the extra boost with your computer controlled wastegate, but it's worth a try. You would get all the other benefits, though.
i won't do that cause i have a warranty still on this car and when i go and buy a down pipe it will be catless so that alone throws me in a higher class.

My car had a cat. The two are not mutually exclusive and an exhaust pipe is going to be more warranty friendly than an equivalent to beyond stage I computer upgrade, I'd think.

""

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/24/12 2:28 p.m.

I wouldn't worry about it if it's not going to be a dedicated race car... mod it how you want, and just drive it in whatever class it falls into. And of course, have fun.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/24/12 3:45 p.m.

yeah... I didn't care so much about modding my car to the Nth degree when I was running my TDi or MINI 'vert... but the worst thing you can do is to buy a car specifically for auto-x only to find out afterwards it's not the best car in the world for such use... research:fail on my part...

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/25/12 12:24 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: I wouldn't worry about it if it's not going to be a dedicated race car... mod it how you want, and just drive it in whatever class it falls into. And of course, have fun.

how i see it but, just trying to prepare my self for what may lie ahead.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/30/12 2:34 a.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
weemanch wrote:
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
weemanch wrote:
Gimp wrote:
My car had a cat. The two are not mutually exclusive and an exhaust pipe is going to be more warranty friendly than an "equivalent to beyond stage I computer" upgrade, I'd think.

i don't need to upgrade any piping for awhile on this car maybe go to a better material later on, cause stock it has 3" piping. there are 2 restrictive cats. they are rather large, and hindersome.(if i could post a facebook picture i would since that is all i can find in regards a picture.)

pres589
pres589 Dork
1/30/12 5:17 a.m.

Catless downpipe? Why?

I really don't understand this anymore. If it was 1975 and catalytic converters were causing vehicle fires, extreme backpressure, horrible smells from the exhaust etc etc I would understand it. It's not 1975 anymore. Plus, isn't this like the SRT4 Neon that didn't use a muffler, just the turbo and a cat setup for reducing exhaust noise? If that's the case, you're going to what, remove the cat so you can install a muffler?

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/30/12 12:47 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Catless downpipe? Why? I really don't understand this anymore. If it was 1975 and catalytic converters were causing vehicle fires, extreme backpressure, horrible smells from the exhaust etc etc I would understand it. It's not 1975 anymore. Plus, isn't this like the SRT4 Neon that didn't use a muffler, just the turbo and a cat setup for reducing exhaust noise? If that's the case, you're going to what, remove the cat so you can install a muffler?

no it is not, my car has one really big cat then one normal sized one, then back to a ridiculously huge muffler.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/30/12 1:01 p.m.

this is a picture of the stock muffler and why i am wanting to replace it. which i am going to something like this this is my down pipe/o2 housing the one on the left side is my o2 housing the other one is the rest of the downpipe.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/12 1:54 p.m.
weemanch wrote: this is a picture of the stock muffler and why i am wanting to replace it. which i am going to something like this this is my down pipe/o2 housing the one on the left side is my o2 housing the other one is the rest of the downpipe.

Don't bother with the two mufflers. That's just extra weight and no performance benefit.

I used this on my WRX in place of the muffler:

(not my car)

On the car photo (this one is my car) - http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5108/5650407496_993c87db66_o.jpg

It was about $50, took 30lbs off the car, and sounds damn good.

weemanch
weemanch New Reader
1/31/12 3:54 a.m.

ya i couldn't deal with that, but the down pipe i am looking into has something like that just a electric cut out.

Gimp
Gimp GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/31/12 9:15 a.m.
weemanch wrote: ya i couldn't deal with that, but the down pipe i am looking into has something like that just a electric cut out.

Couldn't deal with it because of sound? I have the stock turbo, stock cat, and stock resonator, and the turndown makes it sound like a performance exhaust with zero drone. Not loud at all.

I had a turndown on my SRT-4 as well, and while it might have been a little louder than my WRX, it was no where near as bad as most cars that buzz past me on the highway.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
geygFv1yW3fOoEEYwRDWv4OoxiANKByZZ7z7egffHLvtQGijgussQbTq53sHarmV