Irongrave
Irongrave None
9/25/08 8:58 p.m.

Well my real name is Drew but I have a few missing bolts some where.

I have a 2006 Nissan Frontier 2wd that i'm really thinking about auto crossing and maybe doings some hill climbs with. (yes i want to race a truck) It started when a friend of mine decied to wait to do a major off road build on his 2005 frontier that i was helping with and went out and bought a Sky redline. He lives about 30 mins away from Wearthly PA so we did a few runs up the hill in the sky and my truck as a chase car so to speak and it was a blast and after a few beers we decided it would be a fun winter project to rebuild his classic rhd mini for hill climbs and while we are at it why not have the tow rig (my truck) be able to race 2. I allready have a bunch of motor mods done, good brakes and custom built coil overs up front. In the rear i would ditch the stock leaf springs for a 3 link set up with coil overs. right now i have 20in wheels are tires on it i would probly get some 18s with 305 55 rubber. what are ya'lls thoughts on this

btw this is the truck as it sits now

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/Irongrave666/album%202/IMG_7229.jpg[/IMG] [IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y176/Irongrave666/album%202/IMG_7230.jpg[/IMG]

carguy123
carguy123 HalfDork
9/25/08 9:11 p.m.

You're crazy.

Now are you satisfied?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/08 9:50 p.m.

Thaught I would help out with the pix

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/25/08 9:53 p.m.

If it is paid for have at it. There is nothing funner than beating the crap out of something you just put boat loads of $$$$$ into.... . . I am an expert on this. I own a cheap Porsche!

wreckerboy
wreckerboy SuperDork
9/26/08 7:35 a.m.

Okay, you're crazy.

Now that we've gotten that out of the way, I'd say to go ahead and "dew eeeet." I did a similar project with a 1988 2WD Nissan and liked the results. Nothing fancy - a decent set of Tokicos, some Addco bars, a set of 15 x 7 Isuzu alloys and a mild lowering and the truck worked well. I eventually added a set of Z car front calipers but really saw no difference. Mine had the earlier throttle body motor.

The truck was used at the odd track event - I even ran it at Bridgehampton and got below 2:10's with it, which wasn't bad considering the driver's level of talent. The truck was relatively neutral handling and only a little interesting under hard braking on bumpy surfaces.

Dew eeeet!

Raze
Raze New Reader
9/26/08 1:04 p.m.

Hillclimb and autoX out of same vehicle = hard...

Why not a cheaper, older, who cares if I roll it over going up the hill compact truck like an old nissan, ranger, or s10 converted w/offroad suspension and the like? That way you could also get 4wd for more 'offroading' fun...

Then work on your purdy rig to autoX it w/lower suspension, very stiff springs, race wheels & tires, basically what you already said you wanted to do, I just don't see on-road coilovers being very well suited for offroad Banzai!

Just a thought...

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
9/26/08 1:47 p.m.

Hi 'Crazy'.

Run what ya brung!

If you have it, and want to race it, what's stopping you?

The only caveat to that is, don't do anything more than maybe auto-x with any car that you're not willing to completely dispose of.

Irongrave
Irongrave New Reader
9/26/08 5:54 p.m.

4wd fun i have that 92 jeep XJ lifted big tires the works.

I think what some of you have said is right a nice street truck that can auto x would be a lot of fun, and for hill climbs and that kind of thing get something i fit in and build that right with a cage, and all those goodies and bring it to the event on a trailer behind the truck

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MGKXVIHQYaapyspA6ODYdizE6kITlR7Sl8a7WozrBB8eBnJZD6LFvzCgI0lC3ySG