miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 4:31 p.m.

My girlfriend has an '01 Camry and she just had the starter and alternator replaced the other day and she went to fire it up about an hour ago and nothing happened. The engine didnt turn over in the slightest. The car has an blinky alarm system and I was thinking maybe it was a relay swithch. The blinky red light that is to the left of the steering wheel was blinking about 3 times as fast as it normally does. Any ideas of what it could possibly be? could it be the ignition switch, a relay of some sort, or what?

iceracer
iceracer UltraDork
6/14/12 4:38 p.m.

Check the battery terminals. Battery dead ?
Do lights turn on ?

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 4:38 p.m.

The car was running fine for the few days it was out of the shop too, btw.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 4:40 p.m.

Yeah. the battery was tested just the other day and it was fine. Terminals were clean as well. The light were on when she went to work (rain). I have no clue as to what it could be.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/14/12 4:43 p.m.

Make sure all connections on the terminals are tight.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 4:46 p.m.

Yep. they are solid

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 5:09 p.m.

There was a clicking noise that was coming from behind the blinky alarm light that blinks when the alarm is armed if that helps any

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/14/12 6:56 p.m.

Did you check the battery voltage?

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/14/12 7:08 p.m.

Could the alarm have some sort of internal trip that deactivates the car once the power supply is removed and restored? I know that's common on higher end audio parts.... Do you have the FSM for said alarm? Is there a reset?

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 7:21 p.m.

I looked up as much as I could on it and I think that the alarm relay could be a possible culprit. I read that pretty much everything is wired through it (for some stupid reason) and I forgot to grab the voltmeter out of the shop before I left to give it a look at. I looked into the alarm code reset and from what found, the dealership pretty much deals with that kind of stuff. Yeah, it's one of those ordeals seeing as if you mess with the alarm realy, you can really open a can of worms.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
6/14/12 7:23 p.m.

I know how it goes. Good luck.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 7:29 p.m.

Another reason why I am glad I own a first gen Miata: simplistic and there's so much readily available information (lookin at you, Keith) about them that it's not even funny.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
6/14/12 7:52 p.m.

Did you try closing and locking the door with the key, then trying again? How about a different key that maybe the chip recognises? Those two questions are based on it being a factory alarm.

If it is an aftermarket alarm, find the box and all the wiring, cut it out, reconnect the factory wiring, and enjoy.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
6/14/12 10:57 p.m.

Gave it a jump start and it worked. Also looked at the "new" alternator that she bought.........didnt look new to me. Told her to take it to the shop and demand as to why it doesnt look like a new one. Just another reason as to why I like working on my car myself. I know it will be honest work. Not saying that all mechanics are dishonest, bit I've seen it happen too many times. She's also going to get a new battery.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L0oUS03flPF4JTA9sEL6GEk0yAOnx8ILzbhxfFoNxwi8ea603MqphHBUrdKh1fcH