_
_ Reader
9/11/18 1:39 p.m.

I bought the comfy kit from Goodwin. 46mm. They came with speedthane stops, washers, and spacers. There are no instructions included and no instructions online. All diy write ups completely skip the order these three components need to be in, as well as what orientation they need to be. (I’ve got a 50/50 shot on getting the foam bumpstops upside down on the shaft. Pics from the internet aren’t great either. They are going on excel G’s. 

So, from bottom to top, does the bump stop kit go spacer/foam/washer? And then, does the foam piece go narrow side up or down? Why no instructions? 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/18 1:54 p.m.

Oooo, it's so tempting to throw Goodwin under the bus here and just not help because this is a problem of his making. But that would be a dick move.

Based on the diameter in the pictures, I'm going to say the washers go on top, followed by the spacers and then the bumpstops. Put the bumpstops narrow side down - it doesn't really matter that much most of the time, but it looks like the spacers match the diameter of the fat end. If you put the spacers on the bottom, they may rattle on the top of the shock. Depends on what they're made of and how firmly they grasp the shaft.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/18 1:59 p.m.

Usually the urethane bumpstops that go onto the shock shaft are installed by themselves without any hardware, usually with the more pointy end pointing away from the shock body. But then I found this pic involving a washer and the bumpstop pointing the other way:

https://www.polyperformance.com/eibach-micro-cellular-foam-shaft-bump-stop

I'd guess that whichever way it goes on, the spacer goes between the washer and the bump stop. The presence of the washer suggests it's more likely meant to be installed at the end of the shock shaft like in the link above.

_
_ Reader
9/11/18 2:01 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Do tell about Goodwin racing, I am new to the Miata game.  If what you tell me is established fact, and not hearsay, then I don’t see how it is throwing anyone under the bus. You are simply informing a neophyte about potential issues in the future. 

Also, know that I went to FM first for bumpstops, but didn’t see anything beyond a stock setup of just the foam stuff. Do you guys sell fcm?

Keith Tanner
9/11/18 2:07 p.m.

We don't sell FCM, but that's because they specialize in making things seem hard while I prefer to make them simple laugh Step 1 in advertising, create a need...

For your use I'd be using our 54mm bumpstops without any extra spacers. That'll probably engage about the same time as what you have, but will likely be softer and less abrupt. Our stops are not "a stock setup of just the foam stuff", they just don't need any extra parts. If you are ever looking for something, drop me a line first. We have a big, BIG product line and not every single item gets the online writeup it deserves.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/18 2:10 p.m.

In reply to _ :

Given that you're going with mostly stock-ish parts, you probably only need the bump stop itself.

Keith Tanner
9/11/18 2:11 p.m.

I suspect the spacer is there because the shorter bumpstop allows for too much compression travel and the wheels will rub on the fender liner. I'm not 100% sure why the washer is there.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/11/18 2:16 p.m.

Ah, that would make (some) sense. Wouldn't it make more sense to just run bumpstops of the correct length so this wouldn't happen in the first place?

Keith Tanner
9/11/18 2:23 p.m.

That's a difference in suspension philosophy. FCM (aka Shaikh) and I have different preferences - I like a longer, softer stop with stiffer springs and he tends to run a shorter, stiffer stop. I think the latter means a more abrupt transition and I'm sure Shaikh has his reasons as well.

_
_ Reader
9/11/18 2:30 p.m.

Noted! And will do! 

The internet makes it seem like, even with stock springs and excels, you MUST HAVE shorter stops to get travel back and stop riding on the “harsh” stock stops. Since I have no prior experience with this chassis, the Internet forums are my advice go to. Boldly, lead me off a cliff, internet! Lol.  

Keith Tanner
9/11/18 2:33 p.m.

Better stops definitely help. I don't think you'll be disappointed with this setup, it's just a different spec than I would have come up with.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WDwl6BnwzxqFfRR79XmLJAWnOmlQ0jceRKZOQu4WkEY1zKewyFPsm9EBdTxicuV5