1 2
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/7/18 2:56 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Maybe.

Don't you mean definitely maybe?  smiley

Edit:  Or is that being to concise for this discussion?

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
6/7/18 3:02 p.m.

Thanks for the thoughts. I see this as an heirloom project. One that I'd be loathe to get rid of at any point. I do have a build partner, however he's been spending his time building a vacation house. But that's in trim stage, so he'd likely be in the game again. 

I have an acquaintance who is project-prone as are most of us. His mantra is that if something is stalled for over a year, he either rids himself of the project, or whatever is keeping him from doing it. I don't think that I'll have an answer till after I see the car in person. But I have no interest in accumulating another dust-trap - especially one that would make me feel guilty every time I look at it.

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
6/7/18 3:04 p.m.

Absolutely positively definitely need some pics of this project before I can weigh in. 

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito PowerDork
6/7/18 3:14 p.m.

Vague question? Not-so-vague answers! So, there are a number of factors at play here. 

One: you already have two stalled projects and no time. Been there, done that. It is the worst. 

Two: the want for something new is probably in the back of your head all the time, right? That's natural. It's like that with 100% of car guys I've met. 

Three: this new potential project is 90% done. As others have said, what's the remaining 10%? This is very important. 

What you have to do is step back and look at your entire situation. Can you take on a 3rd project? Do you realistically have the time for multiple projects? Do you have to sell the others, and if so, is the new one cooler than the other ones? 

I had to make this decision myself recently. I was presented with a dilemma: I had a project car I liked, but got bored with it. I then bought another project: a once in a lifetime deal on a super rare car that happened to land in my lap. That project also stalled out. Meanwhile, life was getting more complex, and I needed to make a decision to jettison one of them, so I sold the 2nd project to focus on the 1st. I even tried to distract myself with a 3rd project, but the Car Gods and Mother Nature teamed up to show me that I needed to focus on the original one by throwing a pine tree at the 3rd project. Now, I'm back down to the original car again, and that's it. Twice recently, I've tried inadvertently to get project #4, and both times the deals fell through at the last minute. I took the hint and am now 100% focused on the original project. laugh

TheRX7Project
TheRX7Project Reader
6/7/18 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Flynlow :

I think you have it right. If I was in OP's place, I'd have to take a hard look at my current project and decide how much I like it vs. how much I want the offered project.

kazoospec
kazoospec SuperDork
6/7/18 3:30 p.m.

Place one/both of your stalled projects on here as a for sale at a price that doesn't clean you out financially.  If it sells, take on the new project.  If it doesn't, don't.  Without more info, that's the best I've got.  It sounds like you are substantially more interested in the new project than the old ones . . . which probably sounds vaguely familiar to all of us.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
6/7/18 3:55 p.m.

I'd jump on it. 

I'm assuming your projects are the frankenfiat and the sp 1000.  You are obviously ok with 2 stalled projects.  so if you get this new one and give up one of the others you haven't really changed anything. The Sp1000 is gorgeous beyond belief.  If this new project has the potential to be that good I'd drop the frankenfiat in a heartbeat for it.  Don't get me wrong I really really like the frankenfiat and miss it, it will never be described as attractive. 

D2W
D2W HalfDork
6/7/18 4:00 p.m.

One of a kind project that you would never be able to reproduce on your own? If you can afford to have it, get it. You will regret forever if you don't. What difference does it make if it sits for awhile? If you don't plan on selling it the value and time doesn't matter. If you can't afford it, walk away.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
6/7/18 4:00 p.m.

Oh crap - I totally forgot about the Abarth SP 1000 project.

Yeah... that project is top priority in my opinion. Please. 

cmcgregor
cmcgregor Dork
6/7/18 4:03 p.m.

I'm a hack, but I have little/no space for projects of my own, so let me know if you'd like some help/someone to drink beer and heckle you into working on projects.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
6/7/18 4:04 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

The last 10% takes at least 50% of the time, so keep that in mind.

Absolutely

Kreb
6/7/18 4:48 p.m.
icaneat50eggs said:

I'd jump on it. 

I'm assuming your projects are the frankenfiat and the sp 1000.  You are obviously ok with 2 stalled projects.  so if you get this new one and give up one of the others you haven't really changed anything. The Sp1000 is gorgeous beyond belief.  If this new project has the potential to be that good I'd drop the frankenfiat in a heartbeat for it.  Don't get me wrong I really really like the frankenfiat and miss it, it will never be described as attractive. 

The Frankenfiat is/was a victim of scope creep. I decided that the front suspension geometry was too wonky to be just tuned out. So I thought that I'd paste in a Miata front subframe, but that needed modifying, and while I was at it, with all that horsepower, I wanted to stretch the wheelbase, but that meant rebuilding the frame, and then there was moving the radiator up front, and redoing all the brake lines, and a Porsche shifter, and, and, and...... it's been a learning experience. Not a bad one, but learning. Honestly, if I take on this new project, what I'd probably do is take the driveline  out of the Frankenfiat and store it for future installation in a Corvair. Grab anything else that might be of future use and scrap the rest. 

As for the SP1000, I need to consult with my build partner on that. He's got money into the project, and I owe it to him to get his blessing before doing anything to further delay that build. But the fact is, I might be able to complete the new build before the Frankenfiat would have been done anyway, so.... Justin and I need to take a look at this new one and decide what to do. Ultimately my friendship with him is more important than any build.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
6/8/18 8:28 a.m.

We expect an epic build thread if you pull the trigger

Kreb
6/8/18 8:34 a.m.

In reply to icaneat50eggs :

I'll post pics as soon as I feel that it's the right thing to do. Currently, he doesn't want word getting out. 

jharry3
jharry3 GRM+ Memberand Reader
6/8/18 8:36 a.m.
icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
6/17/18 12:55 p.m.

Updates?  Did you get it?

GTXVette
GTXVette SuperDork
6/17/18 3:37 p.m.

There is a Quote from BOYD CODDINGHAM, that he started 100 car projects before one was completly Finished.

Toebra
Toebra HalfDork
6/17/18 5:48 p.m.
Streetwiseguy said:

Maybe.

came here to say this

Kreb
8/13/18 6:21 p.m.

Well it ended up being an example of the Clint Eastwood truism that a man's got to know his limitations. The amount of work needed was just too much. Also, something else stepped into my life:

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SuEXwGHPyfwZ8Rl5e9WKQyN7vs1DdMlEQNrjEI9UxjqZsrvpAUQHosqhjMK4sl7Z