wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/20 9:56 a.m.

The title says it all. I've been using Eastwood, and am not overly thrilled with it. It clogs like crazy, and is fussy about being welded through. Cheap is good, effective is even better. 

I see a lot of sort of copper/gold hued stuff on You Tube videos from overseas, but haven't seen it for sale here.

NOT A TA
NOT A TA SuperDork
3/29/20 10:13 a.m.

I've tried several different brands over the years. I make relatively small quantities of metal parts that get welded to sub frames. I coat certain sides of certain pieces with weld through primer. They may not get sold for up to a year and then may not get used until someone's project gets to the point where they will weld the pieces in place. 3M 05917 is my current favorite.

The current Eastwood product you have (likely rebranded) sounds like the S.E.M. 39783 with the clogging issue and if you spray it on thick it's difficult to get a MIG arc started through it.

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
3/29/20 11:17 a.m.

I've been getting mine from the local welding supplier.  It might be more pricey, but it's working the way I'm expecting it to do.

Trent
Trent PowerDork
3/29/20 1:42 p.m.

I tend to use "Upol Weld #2" it is copper based instead of zinc. 

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/20 6:12 p.m.

All responses appreciated, fellas. 

That's my problem, I wasn't spending 30 bucks a can. Oh well, if it works, it's worth it.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
3/29/20 6:19 p.m.

I tried SEM 39783 and was left pretty underwhelmed.

Uneven coverage, clogged nozzle even if you shake it until you're arms fall off, and difficult to actually weld.

I've still got a can on the shelf ~1/2 full, but clogged to the point of unusable.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill MegaDork
3/29/20 6:36 p.m.

I can't remember what I had but it sucked.  I could not weld through it.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5pQp8ch4LoZmHs6vyTsYz0V5UaHXbKyUKUrBLTQOoSWUljJoo1KR3bEmsm7XgXEc