nimblemotorsports
nimblemotorsports Reader
4/2/20 11:12 a.m.

Yes you can.   Given my R/C Racing business is shuttered and I have no income to pay my rent, I'm still able to work on the new shop.  

But without any help.    So I had to come up with a way to install the $500 two post lift I bought a while back (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYIXKDr2HDk)

without any help.     But first I had to fix it, which involved removing the carriers from the columns and fixing the friction blocks.   Then I had to get them upright, so I rigged a hoist to the rafters and pull them vertical and then shimmied them into position.   

One tip, my regular hammer drill wasn't up to drilling 3/4 holes in concrete.  I had to buy a rotary hammer SDS drill, and that made it easy.  Concrete was over 6 inches thick, so was good there.     The next challenge was installing the crossbar.  So I built a scaffold so I could reach the 16ft high ceiling to move the hoist over the lift, then raised the crossbar and got it in place.   I also had to make some equalizing cables because I could not find them, but fortunately had some from my sailboat projects.    So after more than a week I finally got it all together and working.     So went right to the 4500lb Explorer to test it, here is the 97 V8 Explorer that is going to be stripped to use for the 48 Willys "coupe" project coming up.

And the Scaffold.  (BTW, if you are playing along at home, you'll see the car platform now has the racks to the left which provides the lateral support :)

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/2/20 11:16 a.m.

good work!

before I even clicked on this thread my answer was going to be "Yes, but absolutely not recommended if you've never installed a lift before."

Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter)
Professor_Brap (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/2/20 11:26 a.m.

When I was selling these things we installed a boat load single person. There is definitely a art. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H1nWXfkiP6Dviy8POoQn2R5N5InaBvLkOoQBB36RQbaFMyeAi35q3UYiEBkCVMch