Javelin MegaDork
March 30, 2015 9:43 p.m.

I didn't realize how much I miss my long sold off FB and FC RX-7's until I co-drove an RX-8 at an autocross this weekend. Ugh, I had forgotten how perfect that car was for me. What do I need to know about them again? Can somebody please scare me off before I do something stupid and sell the Javelin?

turboswede MegaDork
March 30, 2015 9:51 p.m.

Oil consumption.

Don't sell the Javelin, buy my 951 instead. Enjoy the torque.

SlickDizzy PowerDork
March 30, 2015 9:54 p.m.
tomtomgt356 New Reader
March 30, 2015 9:56 p.m.

one of us, one of us, one of us...

It's a disease. The only cure is ownership.

Sorry, I'm not helping.

Hungary Bill SuperDork
March 31, 2015 2:02 a.m.

I too have been having a relapse from being rotorless. I blame the Mustang.

I'm not sure I'm ready to step into an 8, but I'm definitely fiending for a 7

My FB was a little cocoon of heaven compared to what I'm driving daily these days

NordicSaab Reader
March 31, 2015 5:50 a.m.
Javelin wrote: I didn't realize how much I miss my long sold off FB and FC RX-7's until I co-drove an RX-8 at an autocross this weekend. Ugh, I had forgotten how perfect that car was for me. What do I need to know about them again? Can somebody please scare me off before I do something stupid and sell the Javelin?

Your 951 is for sale? Tell me more... Shoot me a PM

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
March 31, 2015 8:07 a.m.

Since people bolt the RX8 subframe into NC miatas to build dumb rotary things, the NC subframe should bolt into the RX8 and let you run the 2.5 duratec that'll make 200whp and torque with cams, a tune and some bolt ons pretty easy. It'll let you get the great rx8 chassis without having to deal with the 15mpg rotary gas mileage and lack of torque.

JtspellS SuperDork
March 31, 2015 8:14 a.m.

I always wonder if those that complain about the lack of torque are just lazy bastards that can't downshift

I personally love mine and the best thing I can say is get the latest you can afford with an edge to the S2 versions (09-11) because the majority of all the major bugs are already worked out.

No there is nothing wrong with you.

March 31, 2015 9:11 a.m.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with you. I'm tempted every week to get one because my brother has one and it is a fantastic drivers car. I don't really need 4 seats so I'm torn between rotary power and an S2000.

rcutclif HalfDork
March 31, 2015 9:14 a.m.

rx8 w/blown renesis + kia sportage FE3 + cheap boost + challenge = 42.

Its becoming clearer and clearer to me each day.

wvumtnbkr Dork
March 31, 2015 9:24 a.m.

Get RX8! DO NOT SELL JAVELIN!

You could always buy another RX8 down the road but finding YOUR Javelin is going to hurt.

BoxheadTim UltimaDork
March 31, 2015 9:26 a.m.

I've been tempted for months now, just haven't been able to find the right price/condition/miles combination.

So there's probably something wrong with me, too.

pinchvalve MegaDork
March 31, 2015 9:33 a.m.

Top Gear RX8 Review

The link starts 4:05 into the video, because that's all you need to see.

pinchvalve MegaDork
March 31, 2015 9:35 a.m.

Clarkson on the RX8

OK and this.

fidelity101 SuperDork
March 31, 2015 9:55 a.m.
Leafy wrote: Since people bolt the RX8 subframe into NC miatas to build dumb rotary things, the NC subframe should bolt into the RX8 and let you run the 2.5 duratec that'll make 200whp and torque with cams, a tune and some bolt ons pretty easy. It'll let you get the great rx8 chassis without having to deal with the 15mpg rotary gas mileage and lack of torque.

or just buy an rx8, do nothing and have about 190-200whp.

Leafy
Leafy HalfDork
March 31, 2015 10:01 a.m.
fidelity101 wrote:
Leafy wrote: Since people bolt the RX8 subframe into NC miatas to build dumb rotary things, the NC subframe should bolt into the RX8 and let you run the 2.5 duratec that'll make 200whp and torque with cams, a tune and some bolt ons pretty easy. It'll let you get the great rx8 chassis without having to deal with the 15mpg rotary gas mileage and lack of torque.

or just buy an rx8, do nothing and have about 190-200whp.

But 15mpg, flooding, and slow.

JtspellS SuperDork
March 31, 2015 10:30 a.m.

In reply to Leafy:

Still faster per stock then the miata, just saying....

JtspellS SuperDork
March 31, 2015 10:39 a.m.

Like others have said you can pick up 04-05s all day with blown engine's for cheap as hell and through Mazda I think rebuilt a renesis is around $3k with something like a $1k core on the old engine and I want to say you get a warranty with it, or like others have said NC subframes switch between the two, Idk if it's easily but there are many shared parts.

fidelity101 SuperDork
March 31, 2015 11:23 a.m.
Leafy wrote:
fidelity101 wrote:
Leafy wrote: Since people bolt the RX8 subframe into NC miatas to build dumb rotary things, the NC subframe should bolt into the RX8 and let you run the 2.5 duratec that'll make 200whp and torque with cams, a tune and some bolt ons pretty easy. It'll let you get the great rx8 chassis without having to deal with the 15mpg rotary gas mileage and lack of torque.

or just buy an rx8, do nothing and have about 190-200whp.

But 15mpg, flooding, and slow.

The money you would spend on the swap would buy you a lot of gas a proper maintenance items like spark plugs and coils.

Also 200whp compared to 200whp would be just as slow in the same car with the same mass.

Your point is moot.

Mazdax605 SuperDork
March 31, 2015 1:46 p.m.

My RX-7 is still for sale.

turboswede MegaDork
March 31, 2015 4:20 p.m.
NordicSaab wrote:
Javelin wrote: I didn't realize how much I miss my long sold off FB and FC RX-7's until I co-drove an RX-8 at an autocross this weekend. Ugh, I had forgotten how perfect that car was for me. What do I need to know about them again? Can somebody please scare me off before I do something stupid and sell the Javelin?

Your 951 is for sale? Tell me more... Shoot me a PM

Mine is and PM sent.

Hungary Bill SuperDork
March 31, 2015 7:27 p.m.

So much marriage danger in this thread:

  • Nudging from the dark side to get another rotary

  • Mazdax has one for sale

  • Mention of Javelin selling Javelin (or storing it at my house to make room for said rotary wink wink)

  • two 951's for sale.

You guys are teh devil and I'm not allowed to play with you anymore

Javelin MegaDork
March 31, 2015 9:53 p.m.

I spent all day wishing for somebody to rear end the Saturn so I can replace it with an RX-8.

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

We're Back In Monterey for Car Week

8 hours ago in News

And so it begins, another trip to Monterey Car Week.

Mark Your Calendars: August 18 Is Wear Your Helmet to Work Day

18 hours ago in News

Wear your racing gear to work and win prizes.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

19 hours ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

You Need This: A Real 1LE Camaro

20 hours ago in News

Chevy only built 62 1LE Camaros that year.

Little Car Show: Celebrating All Things Quirky and Small

1 day ago in Articles

As the name suggests, the Little Car Show is all about little cars.

Concours d’Lemons to Ruin Monterey Car Week Yet Again

1 day ago in News

What started as the anti-concours has transformed into a major event on the Monterey Car Week schedule.

You Need This: A Quite Eye-Catching Green Over Red Ferrari

1 day ago in News

Not your usual Ferrari color combo.

Your Projects: JDM Autozam AZ-1 Kei Car

1 day ago in News

What are the realities of importing a JDM kei car to the U.S.?

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

2 days ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

Tonight on Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! Lee Grimes of Koni Shocks

2 days ago in News

This may shock you, but suspension is arguably the most important part of going fast.

Classic Motorsports Monterey Welcome Party Welcomes 2000-Plus Gearheads

2 days ago in Articles

Last night we threw a party, and more than 2000 people came to celebrate.

You Need This: E46-Chassis BMW M3 for $6000!?

3 days ago in News

Could this M3 donate its heart to your next project?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
MgQ8WUq7d56yiZeIBI8NCjMCuVJuGmZd