m4ff3w UltraDork
Dec. 17, 2013 12:05 a.m.

But making dumb decisions is FUN!

Adam went with me to go look at it. I ended up trading about $350 worth of firearms for it.

It is a '93, fwd, 5spd Justy.

I need some tires (or tires/wheels), a radio, and I need to fix the turn signal stalk.

The missing corner lens was with the car and the interior (hell the whole car) is surprisingly clean.

I'll get some pictures of my own.

stanger_missle HalfDork
Dec. 17, 2013 12:18 a.m.

I've always thought that they were an alternative to the Metro/Fiestiva. Especially in AWD form. But I've never seen one that didn't have horrific rust issues. When I lived in Nebraska, I thought that one would make a decent all-weather DD but they seem to be a lot more rare than their competition.

Good score! I'm jealous

Dec. 17, 2013 12:43 a.m.

I happen to know you were looking at Alfas.... What sort of typo in craigslist's search box led you to THAT?

That's actually pretty cool

midniteson Reader
Dec. 17, 2013 1:21 a.m.

Sweet car. what are your plans for it?

Nashco
Nashco UberDork
Dec. 17, 2013 3:21 a.m.

I've always liked them. Just saw an AWD one at the junkyard yesterday and oogled its underbits for a few minutes. Oh, the nasty things I'd like to do to you, junkyard Justy.

Bryce

Dec. 17, 2013 7:42 a.m.

That's super cool! Build thread time!

mazdeuce SuperDork
Dec. 17, 2013 7:57 a.m.

If you and Adam don't bring that to a rallycross I'm going to have to hurt you. There's one on Saturday!

N Sperlo MegaDork
Dec. 17, 2013 7:59 a.m.

Just put wheelie bars on it and call it a day.

fasted58 PowerDork
Dec. 17, 2013 8:00 a.m.
Nashco wrote: I've always liked them. Just saw an AWD one at the junkyard yesterday and oogled its underbits for a few minutes. Oh, the nasty things I'd like to do to you, junkyard Justy. Bryce

I had my eye on the AWDs too and the possible projects to build w/ that drivetrain. They're pretty much gone around here, haven't seen one in years.

iceracer UberDork
Dec. 17, 2013 9:27 a.m.

I went looking for a Justy once. Everyone I found had a blown engine. Of course, blown could be anything.

m4ff3w UltraDork
Dec. 17, 2013 9:35 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote: If you and Adam don't bring that to a rallycross I'm going to have to hurt you. There's one on Saturday!

Gotta find some wheels/tires first :(

m4ff3w UltraDork
Dec. 17, 2013 9:37 a.m.

The plan is to put one of the IHI RHB51 from the Bitrouble on it, find some decent wheels/tires, and have fun while getting decent mileage.

turboswede UltimaDork
Dec. 17, 2013 9:57 a.m.

Didn't those have a plastic valve cover?

mad_machine MegaDork
Dec. 17, 2013 10:00 a.m.

how is this a bad decision?

tr8todd HalfDork
Dec. 17, 2013 10:03 a.m.

My mom had one of those, and she hit a small deer with it. Made a terrible mess of the front right corner. I started pulling body parts off and was surprised how thin and easy to bend they were. The fender was so flimsy I ended up just pounding it back into shape with a rubber mallet while it sat on a foam rubber couch cushion. Came out pretty good. After my mom saw how flimsy the car was, she traded it in on a Jetta.

m4ff3w UltraDork
Dec. 17, 2013 10:05 a.m.
tr8todd wrote: My mom had one of those, and she hit a small deer with it. Made a terrible mess of the front right corner. I started pulling body parts off and was surprised how thin and easy to bend they were. The fender was so flimsy I ended up just pounding it back into shape with a rubber mallet while it sat on a foam rubber couch cushion. Came out pretty good. After my mom saw how flimsy the car was, she traded it in on a Jetta.

That explains the 1653lb listed weight.

AaronBalto
AaronBalto Reader
Dec. 17, 2013 10:05 a.m.

EVERY time I see one of these I think about the commercial from back in the day. New car buyer takes new Justy to family picnic and dorky twin brothers say (one after the other) "Does it have a motor? Does it have a motor?"

So, since this is GRM, um, does it have a motor?

m4ff3w UltraDork
Dec. 17, 2013 10:51 a.m.
AaronBalto wrote: EVERY time I see one of these I think about the commercial from back in the day. New car buyer takes new Justy to family picnic and dorky twin brothers say (one after the other) "Does it have a motor? Does it have a motor?" So, since this is GRM, um, does it have a motor?

Vigo UberDork
Dec. 17, 2013 11:27 a.m.

It is surprisingly not bad to drive. With 70hp, short gearing, and 1600 lbs, it basically feels like a normal subcompact car. That's a good thing, since i was initially expecting it to be extremely slow. I guess the downside of high performance gearing is limited MPG potential vs a metro or festiva or something like that, but they still average ~33 overall on fuelly.

Swank Force One MegaDork
Dec. 17, 2013 11:29 a.m.

Clearly, this needs an H6 swap.

m4ff3w UltraDork
Dec. 17, 2013 11:53 a.m.
Vigo wrote: It is surprisingly not bad to drive. With 70hp, short gearing, and 1600 lbs, it basically feels like a normal subcompact car. That's a good thing, since i was initially expecting it to be extremely slow. I guess the downside of high performance gearing is limited MPG potential vs a metro or festiva or something like that, but they still average ~33 overall on fuelly.

Not one, but 2 over drives.

1st 3.071 2nd 1.695 3rd 1.137 4th .794 5th .675 Rev 3.461 Final 4.800

mfennell Reader
Dec. 17, 2013 1:30 p.m.

My wife's first real car was an '89 that became my winter beater in '98 or so. I limped it to the junkyard with 30-60-90 compression numbers at around 130k miles.

I do not miss it. :)

mndsm UltimaDork
Dec. 17, 2013 1:34 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Clearly, this needs an H6 swap.

That would weigh more than the rest of the car!

Swank Force One MegaDork
Dec. 17, 2013 1:35 p.m.
mndsm wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Clearly, this needs an H6 swap.

That would weigh more than the rest of the car!

I fail to see the problem here. You'd essentially just be sitting on an engine. Sounds like fun.

mndsm UltimaDork
Dec. 17, 2013 1:37 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
mndsm wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: Clearly, this needs an H6 swap.

That would weigh more than the rest of the car!

I fail to see the problem here. You'd essentially just be sitting on an engine. Sounds like fun.

Point taken.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

From the GRM Vault: Meet the Great Kimini

15 hours ago in Articles

British charm meets Japanese spunk.

Grassroots Motorsports LIVE! on Wednesday, August 23: Building a Homemade Sim Rig

15 hours ago in News

We’re taking our sim-racing game to another level.

Meet Us at Put-In-Bay This Weekend

19 hours ago in News

We're headed to South Bass Island, Ohio, this weekend for the ninth annual Put-in-Bay Road Race Reunion.

Hang With Us at Gridlife This Weekend

19 hours ago in News

What’s #GRIDLIFE? The festival describes itself simply: Where speed meets sound.

2017 Chevrolet Camaro Convertible 1LS

21 hours ago in New Car Reviews

275 horsepower and 295 lb-ft. of torque. Back in the day, that was pretty good for a V8-powered pony car. ...

Your Projects: New Wheels for Gimp’s Camaro

22 hours ago in News

Dogs shown for scale.

Bid on a New Helmet and Save Some Puppies and Kittens!

22 hours ago in News

Four helmets will be auctioned off.

You Need This: E39-Chassis BMW M5 for $6000?

1 day ago in News

Buy one of our favorite Q-ships.

That's What i Like: What Attracts Us to Specific Cars?

1 day ago in Articles

I just spent 10 days in one of my new favorite cars: the 2017 VW GTE.

Your Projects: Wide-Body, V8-Powered Porsche 944

2 days ago in News

Wing, flares, V8 swap and more!

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
mtMBEhpGJwmg92g6HqrIScL0ACG9pm3j