1 2 3
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/17 10:00 a.m.

Yup. My car ADD has kicked in and the STR is down the road and now I am again looking for an executive type car to replace it. The biggest issue with the STR was rear passenger leg room. There was non. My boy is growing like a weed. He grew 8 inches in the last year and he only 12. There are some really tall people on both sides of my family tree so 6'6" or more is very likely. I also ran in to issues with taking clients out in the STR. I had to pull my seat forward for anyone to sit behind me. So in the end although it was a really fun car it had to go. Another issue with the STR was that the nannys were very intrusive. No burnouts and the shifting was always to early. Even if you tried to hold it in gear using the manual shifting of the auto trans it still would Not let you get up to where the peak hp is in the rpm range. My suspensions are that the engineers did this to protect the drive line. Don't get me wrong it was a great car. The interior fit and finish was excellent. The ride was exactly what I wanted. They got the balance between sport and highway cruiser perfect. If I was to do one again I would with get a really cheep STR and void all the warranty by going in to the electronics and changing how the shifting is controled as well as how the traction control is allowed to kick in. The other big change that may negate the need for abs changes is to ad a lsd. The car has way to much power to not have one and yet jaguar did not put one in. Again I am suspicious that it is another thing that was done to protect the driveline. In the end this car was by the numbers a M5 equal but in reality the way the engineers set it up it was no where close to sitting at the same table as the M5.

So what now? I don't really want (or need ) an M5. What I want is a car that lives up to its billing. I also want something with a truly usable back seat.

One of the wants I have is to go back to AWD. After having my X type I really miss the AWD so I have decided to make that a want for the next ride.

After a lot of looking I keep coming back to Audi A8 L. I would want a 2007 or newer as they got a facelift as well as some mechanical updates.

So are these really the ticking time bomb that everyone said they are. I know the post 03 cars have a reputation as being 100k cars. I really have not seen or heard of the post 07 cars as having the same issues. I can only assume that Audi fixed things in the model refresh that occurred for the 07 year. I assume they are the typical German car that require a bit more preventive Maintence using higher quality fluids tires.

Another option would be a similar year s class Merc. An s500 4matic seems like it could be a nice place to be however it has the issue that it is a Merc and clients some times have issues with that.

So any suggestions or knowledge about the A8 would be a help. Or if anyone has another suggestions.

My out of the box thaught was to get a lincoln town car and then put the p71 suspension under it with better shocks springs and bars to try and tighten it up a bit.

OR. ?????

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/25/17 10:21 a.m.

Clients have issues that it's a Mercedes? They can't appreciate the fine engineering for over 100 years?

I know nothing about the Audi but if you're thinking a w221 Mercedes S550, go for it lol.

dean1484
6/25/17 10:34 a.m.

The s550 seem to command a serious $$$ premium around here. The s500 are much more common. Very nice ones are about 10k where as the 550 is closer to 18-20k. For a nice one. Clapped out ones with high millage are 12-14k.

dean1484
6/25/17 10:37 a.m.

The A8 seem to be about the same $$$ as the s500.

dean1484
6/25/17 10:40 a.m.
yupididit wrote: Clients have issues that it's a Mercedes? They can't appreciate the fine engineering for over 100 years?

Nope all they think is that they are paying me to much when in reality there secretary's new Honda costs at least twoce as much.

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
6/25/17 10:41 a.m.

See if there are any 2010 or 11 9-5 Aeros close to you. AWD, huge back seat and trunk and @350 hp is a tune away.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/25/17 10:44 a.m.

Try the Lincoln. Another Lincoln is the MKS which is the new big car which can be awd and Ecoboost. It's the twin to the SHO Taurus.

It's the same chassis as the Flex and Explorer therefore I call it the SUV disguised as a sedan.

dean1484
6/25/17 10:51 a.m.
John Welsh wrote: Try the Lincoln. Another Lincoln is the MKS which is the new big car which can be awd and Ecoboost. It's the twin to the SHO Taurus. It's the same chassis as the Flex and Explorer therefore I call it the SUV disguised as a sedan.

Ohhh now that is something I need to look at. The SHO I looked at severial years ago was very nice just a bit pricy as it was still basically new. My wife has suggested the Flex. Hummm really good ideas here.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/25/17 10:55 a.m.

Another thought, Infiniti M series.
The M37 for 330 hp.
The M56 for 420 hp.

Both come in an optional "L" chassis for long or limo making the rear extra spacious.

Any and all can be had in awd too. If not awd then rwd.

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/25/17 12:13 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: Try the Lincoln. Another Lincoln is the MKS which is the new big car which can be awd and Ecoboost. It's the twin to the SHO Taurus. It's the same chassis as the Flex and Explorer therefore I call it the SUV disguised as a sedan.

SWMBO's mom had a Taurus for a while and I always felt like it made very poor use of its exterior dimensions. Looked huge on the outside, felt cramped inside.

What about an E38 BMW in the long wheelbase flavor? You should be able to get a nice one for well under budget and the styling is timeless.

yupididit
6/25/17 12:56 p.m.

How about a Lexus LS460/L or the cheaper LS430 with the ultra luxury package? Not awd though.

yupididit
6/25/17 1:03 p.m.

Too bad the w221 can't do it for you. They are incredible when it comes to luxury.

dean1484
6/25/17 1:25 p.m.
yupididit wrote: Too bad the w221 can't do it for you. They are incredible when it comes to luxury.

Ohhh I am all in on one of those but I am trying to fly a little lower under the radar.

dean1484
6/25/17 1:30 p.m.

Hell I would consider one for me as a weekend family car but that is another thread. I am looking for an understated luxury vehical that 4 full size adults can ride in that has enough punch and handeling to at least keep me awake yet when you close the door the outside world goes away and you can have a conversation in normal to quiet voices. The STR did everything but the four people part.

dean1484
6/25/17 1:35 p.m.

The long versions of the 740 are nice. Very nice but I would want to go back to 2001. The newer ones With the ZF trans in them seems to be a problem. I have seen lots of them for cheep with blown up transmissions

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/25/17 1:39 p.m.

How old is too old? 1998 740iL?

yupididit
6/25/17 1:40 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: Hell I would consider one for me as a weekend family car but that is another thread. I am looking for an understated luxury vehical that 4 full size adults can ride in that has enough punch and handeling to at least keep me awake yet when you close the door the outside world goes away and you can have a conversation in normal to quiet voices. The STR did everything but the four people part.

That's why I ended up referring to Lexus.

dean1484
6/25/17 3:03 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: How old is too old? 1998 740iL?

I beleave that is the same as the 2001

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
6/25/17 9:15 p.m.

Lincoln MKZ with AWD and ecoboost. Get the air-conditioned seats for all the points.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/25/17 9:30 p.m.

In reply to dean1484:

LOL, pretty obvious I didn't read the whole thread since you were discussing E38's the post before mine. Sorry about that.

So yeah, I've got a '98 740iL for sale. Build thread is here

Would like $3k but willing to entertain offers that are entertaining. Especially if partial payment was in the form of a 1984-1985 V65 Sabre.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
6/25/17 10:42 p.m.

What is the STR? Sentra Type R?

dean1484
6/25/17 10:47 p.m.

Hummmm 3k. That seems like a deal for something that well sorted.

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
6/25/17 10:59 p.m.

BTW $20k buys a lot of Hyundai Equus. Plenty of 2011s - 2013s with less than 60k miles. Dropping your budget to $15k doubles the miles.

dean1484
6/25/17 11:10 p.m.

Did I mention I found a Mercedes-Benz CLS 500 with 85k for under $14k. Ya I am going to see it tomorrow. A bit more than I want to spend but these are in my opinion one of the best looking Mercs ever made. Yes I am going to get flack from clients but you know you only live once and if it really bothers the I can take them out in my 03 sierra Denali that has 320k on it. I wonder what vehical they will choose.

yupididit
6/25/17 11:56 p.m.

You can get a cls55 amg for almost the same price.

Seriously though, the rear leg room in those aren't that good. Slightly better than my XJR if that.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nayposeAbzMa16bZqH3u8oRvQRtHsGhjujdDvA7U2omLPG2acNRG9HPUy1eXx5zH