BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/17 12:51 a.m.

In reply to Mitchell:

Shaguar S-Type R

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
6/26/17 7:13 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

It is well sorted mechanically. But it's got a couple of cosmetic flaws (sagging headliner over rear seat, missing map pocket on back of passenger front seat, scrape on passenger doors) that I don't plan to address. I'm happy to provide additional pix; in fact, I'll probably add them to the build thread today.

STM317
STM317 Dork
6/26/17 7:39 a.m.

Would an AWD Acura RL have enough rear leg room for you? It's a high end luxury car, but seems to avoid the flashy, negative stereotypes of the Germans. Shouldn't have any concerns about quality either, given Honda's reputation.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/26/17 8:22 a.m.

Wow just looked at some 07 A8L's on CL. That rear legroom is massive. And damn the car is handsome, especially in black, grey, and silver!

I don't see how it wouldn't give off the "i paid a lot for this vibe". It looks as fancy as any S-class!

A8L

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke SuperDork
6/26/17 9:26 a.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: Lincoln MKZ with AWD and ecoboost. Get the air-conditioned seats for all the points.

This gets my vote.

AngryCorvair
6/26/17 2:30 p.m.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad PowerDork
6/26/17 5:18 p.m.

W12 Phaeton.

Or the V8 if you're feeling like getting more than single digit fuel economy.

Aftermarket warranty!

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/17 8:42 p.m.

First off. Oh My God. I test drove the Merc today. Just WOW. What a car. I have only seen these whizzing by me on the highway and they look great. In photos they look great. In person standing still they are bordering on being art. Both inside and out you can tell that a lot of thaught went in to these cars. They are also very much more like AMG optioned car that someone removed all the AMG stuff. They drive like a big Merc but there is a sense or urgency that is engaging unlike many of the other big Mercs. What a car!!! I want it. I may purchas it. But the back seat while better than the Jag is small for such a big car. And with the sloping roof headroom is also less than you would expect.

Back to the A8L. For what ever reason Audi does not have the same stigma as Mercs and BMW. Like my Jag the Audi kind of is acceptable. Saab is another one that is a fantastic car but is looked at as acceptable. Weird but true.

dean1484
6/26/17 8:46 p.m.

We need a photo of the Merc. Not the one I looked at but basically identical.

Mercedes-Benz CLS 500

dean1484
6/26/17 8:56 p.m.

They make a W 12 Audi A8 and there happens to be one for sale locally but for some reason I think there might be a lot of pain associated with that motor and my wallet

yupididit
6/26/17 9:09 p.m.

Whatever you do. Don't drive the AMG!

dean1484
6/26/17 9:44 p.m.
yupididit wrote: Whatever you do. Don't drive the AMG!

dean1484
6/26/17 9:58 p.m.

I keep coming back to this.

And of course there is this.

Making the A8L very attractive to me. I really need to test drive one.

dean1484
6/26/17 10:01 p.m.

All that can be had for less than 8k. And it looks like this.

dean1484
6/26/17 10:05 p.m.

But the little voice in my head keeps reminding me of this.

yupididit
6/26/17 10:08 p.m.

I actually like the way the a8L looks more than I do the 1st gen cls. Gen 2 cls, well that's just the best looking modern Mercedes.

AngryCorvair
6/27/17 8:42 a.m.

A8L is pretty Friggin' sexy!

dean1484
6/28/17 10:47 p.m.
yupididit wrote: I actually like the way the a8L looks more than I do the 1st gen cls. Gen 2 cls, well that's just the best looking modern Mercedes.

I am doing this with my play money. The 2nd Gen cls starts getting into real money. That is unless my company purchases it but I just "sold" my truck to my company for tax reasons so a second car purchase might get my CPA a tad annoyed with me.

yupididit
6/29/17 1:15 a.m.

In reply to dean1484:

I'm not at all suggesting you you get a 2nd gen. They're still pricey. They're my favorite looking Mercedes though!

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
6/29/17 6:33 a.m.

How about the discrete, working man's lux o barge? To the unknowing it appears to just be a Passat but upon closer inspection some will notice it is larger.
All the while you will privately still get to endure the expenses of super car maintenance.

dean1484
6/30/17 2:38 p.m.
yupididit wrote: In reply to dean1484: I'm not at all suggesting you you get a 2nd gen. They're still pricey. They're my favorite looking Mercedes though!

I would not mind it if you did suggest it. I mean I need a reason right?

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
6/30/17 3:02 p.m.

rear seat legroom on the 740iL/750iL:

that was my '98. I'd suggest a 750iL for the power and reliability increase over the M62/M62TU 740iL. Just a nice, powerful, good handling car with timeless styling that looks good, but doesn't look like you were paid too much, either. ;)

'01 750iL

singleslammer
singleslammer PowerDork
6/30/17 3:17 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh :

If you go with the VW don't get the first year. If one shock goes bad, you HAVE to replace all four. They fixed that the next year. OR get one with bad suspension and go with air ride.

Yeah, I need one of these. 122k miles, $6500. In Kansas City area

AngryCorvair
6/30/17 5:04 p.m.

Following up on ChrisV's post re iL legroom: our friends have two sons, one is 6 foot 7, the other is 6 foot 4. With the passenger front seat all the way back, there is still a couple inches clearance to the shins of the 6 foot 7 kid in the right rear seat.

yupididit
6/30/17 6:45 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Impressive

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3Z2KHyuXq3ZKGBXgxpLiVdLdLdB9Ow3OyNFMNAikv2pXHnAyNKOCUfORktjt9ncY