dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/12 10:24 a.m.

It scares me that people really need this. I mean how do you loose your car?

Raze
Raze SuperDork
3/3/12 10:26 a.m.

look, my gps told me how to get from my house to the gas station, then it didn't tell me how to pump gas, but google did on my smartphone, then my friend called and wanted to see a movie, so I googled movie times, used my gps to get me there, but the lot was huge cause the theater had 60 screens, so I had to park in the back, but then we met some other friends after the movie and, I was all like 'hun' when it came time to find my car, so I just used my phone's app to tell me where it was, cause your phone tells you like everything, k?

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
3/3/12 10:51 a.m.

Have you ever parked at an amusement park? I mean, I can find my car in the sea of minivans when we go to Disney (and actually park at the park, which is rare), but I can find it much faster when I mark it with GPS. At the end of a long day, getting to the car 30 seconds faster is so much more pleasant than searching for that 30 seconds.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
3/3/12 1:02 p.m.

damn, I was wishing that it found cars you were looking for, like a 1987 Porsche 924s with the LSD rear end and cruise control....

Hocrest
Hocrest HalfDork
3/3/12 1:16 p.m.

If Seinfeld had this back in the 90's that would be one less episode for us to enjoy...

I might add that this was one of the two Seinfeld episodes to feature an SVX...

sachilles
sachilles Dork
3/3/12 2:16 p.m.

Truth be told, I had a college buddy go bar hopping in down town New Haven CT. I'll assume he had a designated driver in his group. When they finished for the night, they went back to the car to find it missing. They reported it stolen. Police recovered it the next day, one block away from where it was reported stolen. All doors locked, radio still in place, cd collection still there, and other valuables still in the car. So either he was a victim of an elaborate prank or thieves stole the car, and returned it to the same neighborhood unharmed or he probably could have used the app had it existed then. Though my guess, he might not have been in the state of mind to use it effectively.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/3/12 3:22 p.m.
Hocrest wrote: If Seinfeld had this back in the 90's that would be one less episode for us to enjoy... I might add that this was one of the two Seinfeld episodes to feature an SVX...

But it also would have saved us from an Ashton Kutcher movie. That's a trade I would make.

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
3/3/12 3:56 p.m.

I lost my car at the O'Hare airport general parking lot when I went on my first business trip 25 years ago.

And I imagine rolling luggage wasn't invented yet.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 SuperDork
3/3/12 4:14 p.m.

When I lived in San Francisco, I used to keep a cork board with a map and pins by the door to remember where the car was. Sometimes it was half a mile or more from my flat and didn't move for a week - sometimes longer. More than once I spent a Saturday morning looking for the damn thing.

Of course, finally, when I did know where I had left it, I went looking for it and it wasn't there. Still miss that car. It was recovered several weeks later, but there wasn't much left. That was my old 1984 Celica. Getting the "new" one really kinda closed that chapter some 15 years later.

RedS13Coupe
RedS13Coupe Reader
3/3/12 9:51 p.m.

I'll admit to loading google maps, then texting myself my location...

Usually when I have to park on random side street and undetermined distance up one of ten different roads.

FlightService
FlightService SuperDork
3/3/12 9:59 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: It scares me that people really need this. I mean how do you loose your car?

I did it the day after my 30th,

9 beers, dozen shots, 4 LITs

couldn't remember where I left it.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
3/4/12 12:22 a.m.
FlightService wrote:
dean1484 wrote: It scares me that people really need this. I mean how do you loose your car?
I did it the day after my 30th, 9 beers, dozen shots, 4 LITs couldn't remember where I left it.

Hell, I'd be surprised if you remembered where YOU were...

EricM
EricM SuperDork
3/4/12 7:35 a.m.

oh, I have handheld gps' I often mark my cars location.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Qe2g5dj3AqMpOmKRaMgDb6DHx1HwyjT2Z5Nhuu5RHzSD1ThBucOooTEjoljbatuj