jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
7/28/08 5:27 p.m.

I bought a car a couple months ago from GA. The car doesn't require a title in GA but it does here in AL. The person I bought it from is not the last person to have it registered and on the road. I was at the DMV today and was told that I need a copy of the last registration (have) and a notarized bill of sale.

Do I need to have the bill of sale signed by the person who had the car registered last?

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/28/08 5:46 p.m.

I would assume not. The bill of sale is the memorandum of the transaction in which you acquired the car. They may require you to establish title all the way back to the last person to have it registered, but I doubt it.

However, you should ask the ALDMV, as they're the ones you have to give what they want to get what you want.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
7/28/08 6:05 p.m.
billy3esq wrote: However, you should ask the ALDMV, as they're the ones you have to give what they want to get what you want.

I agree. But, they didn't seem to know what they needed. They said "we'll mail it off and see what happens". I emailed the main office a while back, also no help.

Just trying to avoid too much headache.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
7/28/08 6:35 p.m.

GA doesn't require notarized titles. Any old scrap of paper will do.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
7/29/08 12:34 p.m.
jwdmotorsports wrote: Just trying to avoid too much headache.

Wait, I thought you said you were dealing with a government agency.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/29/08 1:14 p.m.

Speaking of car titles, I got the title on my Europa last week. That was phun. Owner #2 sold to #3 25+ years ago. #3 had title signed by owner #2, but never registered it. I suspect he and his brother had one valid license plate between the two of them and their four Europas and they probably just stuck the plate on any of the cars that might be running. I got the original title from owner #2, plus a Bill of Sale from #3. State of AR was not happy. They insisted on a BoS from #2 to #3. "Chain of something or other." Owner #2 went to prison some time in the past 25 years and currently lives as a homeless street person somewhere in the midwest. Found a loophole in AR law regarding 25+ year old vehicles and Antique Vehicle registration. Got insurance on Europa and exploited loophole (Geico, one bill for six months liability, cheaper than suing the state of AR, my other choice). Title people "forgot" to send me my title ("No one told me...") Further phone calls (such positive attitudes these government workers have) and they finally sent me a title.

Now all I need to do is finish the Locost so I can start on it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KLEhCZZEGoTdiydGXBJskmtGY9paj6xo73eA9mPyQZ29Wa3vMUDBCPvaOK8lH9hv