1 2 3 4 5
JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
2/27/13 10:07 p.m.

1980 Toyota 4x4 longbed. The worn-out 20R gave me a top speed of 60mph, the front springs were so sagged it nearly rested on the bumpstops, the heater didn't work (but the A/C did!), and both ends of both axles leaked, but I still miss it.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Dork
2/27/13 10:08 p.m.

My 1st WRX. It was a 2002 wagon. When I bought it, I was in love with it. I was in love with it at the end, but I started to get paranoid about the engine blowing up, so I got out of it. If I had known what a turd my next WRX would be, I would have certainly kept it.

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/13 10:36 p.m.

94 RX-7 that taught me about corners and being smooth with my inputs. Miss it, but it probably saved my life getting rid of it. WAY to much car for a 20 year old.

86 Iroc that I never should have let go of.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
2/27/13 10:44 p.m.

I should get dipE36 M3 of the decade for selling this :( But the kid who purchased it has already broken the drive shaft, replaced two torque arms, burned through a brand new clutch, and a set of tires. He's trying to sell it for twice as much as he bought it for and told me that's how much he put into it.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy UberDork
2/27/13 10:49 p.m.
  1. I helped my sister sell her worn out 1973 Beetle in 1980. We begged a dude to give us $500 for it.

2. 1966 Datsun 1600 rust free California car.

3. My dad tried to get me to buy his 1968 Olds 98 2-door - 455 4 barrel.

4. 1994 red Blazer S10 4x4. I liked that sized truck

Spinout007
Spinout007 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/27/13 11:08 p.m.

In reply to DirtyBird222:

No comment there... wow

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte Dork
2/27/13 11:13 p.m.

Mind your own Falcon business. Under $50.00 and still made a profit. still pissed.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltraDork
2/27/13 11:26 p.m.

My 56 VW convertible and my 60 TR-3.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver SuperDork
2/27/13 11:59 p.m.

1980 RX7. Should have dumped the girl that I eventually married (and subsequently divorced), that convinced me to sell it. It was pretty rusty, though. I had picked up a clean, motorless, '80 to swap the fresh motor from the rusty one, just prior to that, besides.

I have kicked around the idea of selling the '60 Mini, that I've had for 26 years, but I know as soon as the taillights are out of sight, I'd regret it.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
2/28/13 4:53 a.m.

Not too many I regret selling. When they went, it was time either economically or I'd simply had my life's satisfaction from them. But, there are a few I would have liked to enjoy a few more miles from.

'67 Lemans that a friend of mine bought as a parts car for his GTO restoration that I convinced him was too nice to scrap, so we re-did it to flip. Gorgeous car, but slow with the powerglide. This is the one I most wish I could have kept.

'72 Mercury Capri. 2.6 with dual exhaust. Totally fun, but owned at a time where it was near impossible to get parts. Still would like to have one of these.

(sigh) Never really got to enjoy it's full potential. Owning a car with 3 other people just isn't a good idea though.

cutter67
cutter67 Reader
2/28/13 5:14 a.m.

i bought and sold my first car when i was 15 never drove it. i really dont regret selling any one of them since then. i have learned there is always another around the next corner, the thing that gets me is the pricing and where it went on cars i never thought would increase in value. the one that gets me the most is the Datsun 510 at one time in the late 70's i had 15 at one time i was racing them at mid ohio and the ledges and how many nice ones i scrapped back then. my friends were running 2002's but i couldnt afford those.....

what i really regret is the cars i scrapped over the years way, way to many died because of me

shadetree30
shadetree30 Reader
2/28/13 6:35 a.m.

Over 40 years... '63 Austin Healey 3000

Two Bugeyes. One I had to reposess from a girlfriend.

BMW 3.0 CS

Couple 5-series

Way too many 1600s/ 2002s

Leda Tui Super Vee

Mostly because of no room to keep. Imagine if I'd had a place to put them...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
2/28/13 6:35 a.m.

The one I want back was really a very pretty, but completely awful car that I didn't have the funds to keep on the road. The only reason I wish I still had it is that now I have the skills and tools to make a tube chassis race car and damn if that isn't a sexy shape to drop down on top of it.

71 Camaro RS, pictured here in 1984, a bit light in the nose due to engine failure. Sold for $1600.

Jerry
Jerry Reader
2/28/13 7:14 a.m.

'79 Dodge Lil Red Express. Sold it to my ex in-law's as a temporary need for cash. They sold it before I could buy it back.

Powar
Powar Dork
2/28/13 7:46 a.m.
patgizz wrote: totally sad every time i think about it.

patgizz... Do you have information posted anywhere about everything you did to this car? I recently picked up a cheap '78 Fleetwood Brougham d'Elegance and I think I want to play with it for a bit before I let it go.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
2/28/13 7:49 a.m.

My P71.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
2/28/13 7:49 a.m.

I have mild nostalgia for other cars/trucks I've sold, but the top three:

The '71 Demon I grew up with. Ignorance let it get towed away to the junk yard. If I'd only known how hard to find and expensive a similar car would be today I never would have let that happen.

My '91 Integra. I loved that little car. It ran great, but everything else was falling apart, so it needed to be replaced for DD duty. But it would have made for a perfect track-beater and would have saved me butt-loads of effort and money I've spent buying cars since.

The g/f's '97 M3. She sold it a year or so after she bought her '03 MCS because she stopped driving it and bought her '73 1800ES. Totally stock and in cherry condition (she never drove it during the winter). She says I would have killed myself with it...

914Driver
914Driver MegaDork
2/28/13 8:07 a.m.

'64 Galaxie convertable, 390 4-spd I had at 17. Wish I still had it, but I let it go because my license was in jeopardy.

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas Dork
2/28/13 8:16 a.m.

No regrets here (yet), but I've only sold two cars and one motorcycle.

I do regret not buying a couple of cars... like the running, driving '68 Firebird for $2k...

iceracer
iceracer UberDork
2/28/13 8:33 a.m.

My 2000 ZX2SR. Ran it for 10 yrs in track days, iceracing,hillclimbs,auto cross etc plus DD.

After 75K trouble free miles, the driver cooked the engine due to brain fade.

Since the rest of the car was in excellent condition, should have fixed the engine problem. Oh Well

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
2/28/13 8:39 a.m.

Only sold one car so far and it was a total POS, I'm only sad that some poor sucker is still driving it around.

Man the regret from selling an AW11 must be the most crushing of all, with a CRX in a close second...

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
2/28/13 9:14 a.m.

I do regret selling my Triumph Spitfire. Very fun car but I could track down another without too much issue.

My Lada Nivas were hard to let go of. It would be harder to find another decent one but still doable.

My 808 coupe on the other hand - that hurts. I doubt I'll ever see one again never mind be able to buy another.

1973 Mazda 808 Coupe

93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/28/13 9:18 a.m.

So far I haven't sold a car I regretted selling. Now there are plenty of cars I wish I had of bought that I didn't.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/28/13 9:23 a.m.

It's hard to tell the difference between regret and just missing the cars... I miss the '64 Falcon, but at the time I didn't have anything like the resources for that and the 2002, and the 2002 was the right pick... I also miss my '64 Ranchero, my '84 GTI, and even my '75 Nova and '84 Marquis sometimes. I'd put the '87 325is on there, but I didn't sell that, it got rear-ended...

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
2/28/13 10:57 a.m.

1988 Dodge Shadow ES (turbo.) Bought it for $1400 with a little less than 200k miles. Looked BRAND_NEW.

Sold it with 265,000 miles for $1400 because I "NEEDED" a Civic hatch for better gas mileage and reliability. A/C in the Civic died a week after I bought it. A year later it slung a rod. Piece of E36 M3.

Car still looked new when I sold it. Saw it a couple years later in a parking lot. Ratted out, dirty, with a berkeleying Dale Earnhardt sticker on it. I probably should've left a note, but I figured it'd probably been neglected at that point. I felt HORRIBLE that I'd let her get destroyed by some redneck crunt.

Not mine, but it was THAT NICE ^^^

Kind of regret selling the Tinsley car too, though it really wasn't an option at the time, and I'm just not that into autocross anymore any way. I GAVE that car away though:

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
NIq3vPxq1AiyyX0gRqmwHQOGus2JKqfXADfsCBZ7OktuZxlukLMaxMdwXyJqaFeF