1 2
hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand Dork
2/6/16 8:12 p.m.

Today I was running the starting line at a new racing venue in Arcadia, FL called the Carlstromring. See their FB website HERE.

This was billed as a Super Tarmac Rallycross and I'm guessing is based on a European style Rally type event. As you can see from this video the course was very tight and there were plenty of potential accident situations including concrete blocks, power poles, buildings, ditches, etc.

Here are a couple of different videos from the day.

1996 Mustang GT - Stock 2wd class

Another run - Miata?

Homebuilt with S2000 drivetrain

On the third stage of the event a car ended up sliding into a ditch, taking out a power pole which dropped power lines into a water filled ditch causing a transformer a few hundred yards away to explode and start a brush fire. Then it started raining. All in all it actually was a pretty fun day. Hope I get to do it again soon.

captdownshift
captdownshift GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/6/16 8:28 p.m.

I had to wipe my monitor off after the last paragraph.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
2/6/16 9:26 p.m.

Looks like a lot of fun.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
2/6/16 9:51 p.m.

That does look like fun!

I wonder if a similar event could be done at Camp Perry in Ohio?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
2/6/16 11:15 p.m.

Looks like fun. What are the requirements for the cars and divers?

ojannen
ojannen New Reader
2/7/16 7:07 a.m.

Requirements were pretty loose. Autocross standards. No cage necessary.

The course was in an abandoned military base of some sort. I have never run on a course with this many things to hit. Here is one of my runs. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz2dWDp5SW8

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
2/7/16 9:07 a.m.

Absolutely love this!

rslifkin
rslifkin Reader
2/7/16 9:13 a.m.

Damn that looks fun! Too bad it's 1000+ miles away

Iusedtobefast
Iusedtobefast Reader
2/7/16 9:55 a.m.

Looks like driving in a video game with all the buildings so close to the course. Bet you don't get to start at the last checkpoint if you hit one!;D

Hal
Hal SuperDork
2/7/16 10:26 a.m.

In the late 60's an Auto-X club in Chambersburg, PA got the use of the roads in a "being built" Industrial Park. Roads were all done but only a couple of businesses had put up buildings.

Throw out a few cones as directional markers and we had a 1+ mile course to run! Brand new pavement with fantastic grip. Only problems was that all the roads also had brand new curbing!!

XLR99
XLR99 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/7/16 5:21 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: On the third stage of the event a car ended up sliding into a ditch, taking out a power pole which dropped power lines into a water filled ditch causing a transformer a few hundred yards away to explode and start a brush fire. Then it started raining. All in all it actually was a pretty fun day. Hope I get to do it again soon.

OK That sounds like fun! Thanks, I really needed a laugh today . I noticed at least one car in a ditch in the videos as well.

ParanoidAndroid, that would be excellent! Even more room at the Ravenna arsenal.
I'm kind of surprised there's no rallycross in NeOhio right now.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
2/7/16 8:47 p.m.

Right! It seems like Camp Perry's roads are in better shape too. Maybe circumvent the ammo dump though.

I'm not familiar with the Ravenna Arsenal. A Google-ing I will go!

XLR99 wrote:
hobiercr wrote: On the third stage of the event a car ended up sliding into a ditch, taking out a power pole which dropped power lines into a water filled ditch causing a transformer a few hundred yards away to explode and start a brush fire. Then it started raining. All in all it actually was a pretty fun day. Hope I get to do it again soon.
OK That sounds like fun! Thanks, I really needed a laugh today . I noticed at least one car in a ditch in the videos as well. ParanoidAndroid, that would be excellent! Even more room at the Ravenna arsenal. I'm kind of surprised there's no rallycross in NeOhio right now.
WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/16 9:46 a.m.

Wow, that looks awesome!

Lof8
Lof8 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/8/16 10:25 a.m.

I would have been there if it didn't overlap with a chump race. it looks ridiculous for sure! I'll be at the next one!

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/8/16 10:33 a.m.

Looks like lots of fun, even if it's not totally safe. The pole that got hit was the one you see at 1:23 in the last vid, right?

Edit: Ran across some more videos from the same event:

BMW 535 (this guy knows what he's doing!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rz2dWDp5SW8

Evo X

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acNE-z6WLsU

hobiercr
2/8/16 11:56 a.m.

The guy in the 535 said it was his first time doing something like this. I doubt that seeing that he had a center tape marked on his steering wheel. His drive seems fairly smooth with some good entry/exit strategy.

The Evo runs are great. That car has a ton of power and seemed to just soak up the bumps well.

Not sure which pole was hit. It could have been the one (in the first Evo run) at 1:238, 1:45, 1:55, 2:12, 2:40 (building) or my favorite, the entry/exit double whammy at 2:47. On the drive through Kurt and I kept laughing at all the potential carnage. Either way this event was very interesting. Results are up on the FB page (link in original post).

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
2/8/16 12:16 p.m.

If there was anything remotely like that up here in Michigan I'd be inspired to get off my lazy ass and out into the garage and finish up my car.

That is awesome off the scale. That's not rally cross its a single venue stage rally. Win in much evidence.

I think I'd want a basic cage, seat, harness and a HANS just in case though.

What's the name of the facility so I can look on googlymoogly Maps?

Nick (LUCAS) Comstock
Nick (LUCAS) Comstock UltimaDork
2/8/16 12:25 p.m.

This is like a bigger version of the first auto x that I participated in.

It used three different parking lots with many islands and light poles, surface change from asphalt to concrete and back again around a fire station, in between a semi trailer, a small water tower and a stack of wooden pallets.

hobiercr
2/8/16 12:27 p.m.

Google maps search 5577 Florida 31, Arcadia Fl. You can see the roads and a circular road just West of 31. Satellite view shows buildings etc.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 Dork
2/8/16 12:37 p.m.

I did some checking into the event organizers last night.

I was led to this page where at the bottom it stated "Organizer of Super Tarmac RallyCross at Carlstromring, Power Auto Corp".

Google says their site is here where the trail goes cold for me.

Adrian_Thompson wrote: If there was anything remotely like that up here in Michigan I'd be inspired to get off my lazy ass and out into the garage and finish up my car. That is awesome off the scale. That's not rally cross its a single venue stage rally. Win in much evidence. I think I'd want a basic cage, seat, harness and a HANS just in case though. What's the name of the facility so I can look on googlymoogly Maps?
hobiercr
2/8/16 1:00 p.m.
aw614
aw614 New Reader
2/8/16 1:07 p.m.

ah he was the original owner of the FIRM it seems, interesting.

ojannen
ojannen New Reader
2/8/16 2:14 p.m.

It is just south of Arcadia, FL. https://goo.gl/maps/Tb15q1VdyWz

Starting point is on the South end of the complex, just inside the security fence. You can see all the horseshoe parking lots we went in and out of. The boulevard about half way through the course is on the north end.

Storz
Storz Dork
2/8/16 2:23 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: If there was anything remotely like that up here in Michigan I'd be inspired to get off my lazy ass and out into the garage and finish up my car. That is awesome off the scale. That's not rally cross its a single venue stage rally. Win in much evidence. I think I'd want a basic cage, seat, harness and a HANS just in case though. What's the name of the facility so I can look on googlymoogly Maps?

Also interested in this....we have some big .mil bases here.

Aeromoto
Aeromoto Dork
2/8/16 3:48 p.m.

Thanks for the effort to time us John!! I had a great time. There's lots of debate bouncing around about the safety practices, but I loved it and I'll be back!

Here's a video of my 2nd run in my Versa. It's boring and drama free, and the camera gets covered with road grime pretty quick and the vid gets blurry. Sorry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cV6_kzrugMI

Here's some stolen pics of the drama:

[URL=http://s114.photobucket.com/user/hotrodhabit/media/bbbb12661908_10207849983599554_3944834418725280507_n_zpsolx3rtqr.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s114.photobucket.com/user/hotrodhabit/media/bbbb12654154_10207849983799559_5218336130974496844_n_zpsttmvsypj.jpg.html][/URL]

Here's the results:

[URL=http://s114.photobucket.com/user/hotrodhabit/media/bbbb12646941_1665518937039717_5036614809973156701_n_zpsv4dyabl9.jpg.html][/URL]

And my econobox heap: [URL=http://s114.photobucket.com/user/hotrodhabit/media/bbbb12644837_10207835164429084_4219891777186812091_n_zpsmdzqfs7k.jpg.html][/URL]

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
37Pycsluaabulypq9N9qIoFDxIFvCIrZAlOsr9rHA3i62l4v7pIkSsYuMAzy6HIR