Javelin SuperDork
March 1, 2012 10:56 a.m.

http://www.capricorngroup.net/no_cache/en/automotive-en/news/news-single/article/legendaerer-carrera-motor-ab-sofort-wieder-erhaeltlich.html

I mean, I know the real ones go for ~$150K, but an old engine actually being completely re-manufactured? If it's real, it's damn cool!

Maroon92 SuperDork
March 1, 2012 11:02 a.m.

I don't think they are "Re-manufacturing". I think they are reproducing.

I am SOOOO excited about this. I need one in a Meyers Manx, and one in a Beck Spyder, NOW!

tpwalsh New Reader
March 1, 2012 11:03 a.m.

356 people are generally wealthy, and completely nuts. Ohh and shop assembly time is over 40 hours for one of those motors. Gear driven cams x4!

Javelin SuperDork
March 1, 2012 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

Re-producing usually means the original tooling though. I got the impression that the tooling is all new (though to the original specs?).

David S. Wallens Editorial Director
March 1, 2012 11:20 a.m.
tpwalsh wrote: 356 people are generally wealthy, and completely nuts. Ohh and shop assembly time is over 40 hours for one of those motors. Gear driven cams x4!

My understanding is that the 40 hours was just for the cam timing. I could be wrong, though.

Woody SuperDork
March 1, 2012 11:40 a.m.

I saw four real ones this morning!

Gearheadotaku SuperDork
March 1, 2012 11:45 a.m.

I like how the dyno sheet shows the full RPM range, not just 2500 or 3000 and up like most advertisements.

Woody SuperDork
March 1, 2012 11:47 a.m.

In the back of most (all?) Porsche owner's manuals, there are complete horsepower and torque curves.

AutoXR HalfDork
March 1, 2012 11:58 a.m.

Kind of old news. There have been more then a few guys cutting down 3.2's for years making 4cyl 4 cammers. IT's not a "repro" but the same thing. I saw one a few years ago @ the PCA Zone 1- 2 day event.

mad_machine SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:06 p.m.

such a beautiful and complicated engine.

tpwalsh New Reader
March 1, 2012 12:08 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: Kind of old news. There have been more then a few guys cutting down 3.2's for years making 4cyl 4 cammers. IT's not a "repro" but the same thing. I saw one a few years ago @ the PCA Zone 1- 2 day event.

3.2L wasser-boxers? or 3.2L 911 carrera motors? I've seen the later done a few times, but it's not a 4 cam. air cooled 911's are all SOHC.

tpwalsh New Reader
March 1, 2012 12:09 p.m.
Woody wrote: In the back of most (all?) Porsche owner's manuals, there are complete horsepower and torque curves.

And fuel efficency curves and gear ratio charts. I can post a picture of my owners manual if someone really wants to see. (73T)

Maroon92 SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:12 p.m.
tpwalsh wrote:
AutoXR wrote: Kind of old news. There have been more then a few guys cutting down 3.2's for years making 4cyl 4 cammers. IT's not a "repro" but the same thing. I saw one a few years ago @ the PCA Zone 1- 2 day event.

3.2L wasser-boxers? or 3.2L 911 carrera motors? I've seen the later done a few times, but it's not a 4 cam. air cooled 911's are all SOHC.

I like the word Wasser-Boxer. I think I might call my band that...

Maroon92 SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:22 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Re-producing usually means the original tooling though. I got the impression that the tooling is all new (though to the original specs?).

Not always. You can easily reproduce anything these days with cad drawings of an existing piece.

Javelin SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:33 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Re-producing usually means the original tooling though. I got the impression that the tooling is all new (though to the original specs?).

Not always. You can easily reproduce anything these days with cad drawings of an existing piece.

Exactly. That would be "re-manufactured". It's the original design, but new tooling (the machines used to make the parts).

As opposed to "re-producing", which is taking the original tooling and just printing another run (a'la model cars, the Jensen Interceptor, etc).

Maroon92 SuperDork
March 1, 2012 12:57 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:

Exactly. That would be "re-manufactured". It's the original design, but new tooling (the machines used to make the parts).

As opposed to "re-producing", which is taking the original tooling and just printing another run (a'la model cars, the Jensen Interceptor, etc).

I guess I always associate "Remanufactured" as rebuilt. ie. taking your alternator core back to auto-zone to be "remanufactured" and sold to some other schlub.

Javelin SuperDork
March 1, 2012 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

Eh could be either way. Damn semantics and ambiguous English language!

DWNSHFT Reader
March 2, 2012 9:56 a.m.

Wow, that's a flat torque curve.

I'm pretty sure pricing will make it prohibitive except for vintage connoisseurs.

David

Maroon92 SuperDork
March 2, 2012 10:16 a.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: Wow, that's a flat torque curve.

Like a table top. Wow.

wearymicrobe HalfDork
March 2, 2012 11:12 a.m.
tpwalsh wrote: 356 people are generally wealthy, and completely nuts. Ohh and shop assembly time is over 40 hours for one of those motors. Gear driven cams x4!

Wonder if they fixed the massive oil cooling flaws in these motors that caused them to self destruct at idle.

550 spyders need to keep on the move at all times or the motors have a tenancy to go BOOM!.

ransom Dork
March 2, 2012 12:05 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: 550 spyders need to keep on the move at all times or the motors have a tenancy to go BOOM!.

Like SHARKS!

Well, not "boom", but you get the idea...

You'll need to log in to post.

Also on Grassroots Motorsports

You Need This: Track-Ready 1991 Mazda Miata for $5500

25 minutes ago in News

What’s better than a Miata? How about a Miata that’s ready for the track?

MX-5 Cup Racing: Live on Your Screen This Friday and Saturday

2 days ago in News

Catch all the action of the Global MX-5 Cup race at Road America live this weekend.

How to Run Compressed Air at Home

2 days ago in Articles

A guide for installing an air compressor and air tools in your home garage.

2017 Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI 4Motion

2 days ago in New Car Reviews

Say hello to the Volkswagen Golf SportWagen TSI S with 4Motion. It comes with a turbocharged 1.8-liter engine that is ...

You Need This: $1600 Street Racer Ford Festiva

2 days ago in News

It already has a GRM sticker and everything.

Get Your Subscription Combo Deals!

3 days ago in News

Get both our magazines for the price of one!

Your Projects: smokindav’s VW GTI Project

3 days ago in News

Love a good MK5 GTI? You might enjoy this build thread.

Wing It: Simple Talk on the Complex Subject of Aerodynamics

3 days ago in Articles

Whether sleek, boxy or somewhere in between, all cars interact with the air while racing down the track.

2018 Acura TLX V6 A-Spec

3 days ago in New Car Reviews

Acura is introducing something new for the 2018 model year: the Acura TLX V6 A-Spec. It's the highest trim level ...

You Need This: 1989 Suzuki Swift GTi

4 days ago in News

For sale: one of Suzuki's under-appreciated hot hatches.

Buyer's Guide: Chevy Cobalt SS

4 days ago in Articles

All the information you'll need on GM’s entry in the sport compact wars.

Wednesday Night GRM Live: Are You Using the Right Chemicals for the Job?

4 days ago in News

What do all these cans even do!?!?

OUR SPONSORS

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine

Subscribe Today

Also get your instant access to the digital edition of Grassroots Motorsports Magazine!

Learn More
z8NaXUIZ1RUfX9r2Egy8ckkrCoIyaA7g