Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/1/12 10:56 a.m.

http://www.capricorngroup.net/no_cache/en/automotive-en/news/news-single/article/legendaerer-carrera-motor-ab-sofort-wieder-erhaeltlich.html

I mean, I know the real ones go for ~$150K, but an old engine actually being completely re-manufactured? If it's real, it's damn cool!

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 11:02 a.m.

I don't think they are "Re-manufacturing". I think they are reproducing.

I am SOOOO excited about this. I need one in a Meyers Manx, and one in a Beck Spyder, NOW!

tpwalsh
tpwalsh New Reader
3/1/12 11:03 a.m.

356 people are generally wealthy, and completely nuts. Ohh and shop assembly time is over 40 hours for one of those motors. Gear driven cams x4!

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/1/12 11:14 a.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

Re-producing usually means the original tooling though. I got the impression that the tooling is all new (though to the original specs?).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/1/12 11:20 a.m.
tpwalsh wrote: 356 people are generally wealthy, and completely nuts. Ohh and shop assembly time is over 40 hours for one of those motors. Gear driven cams x4!

My understanding is that the 40 hours was just for the cam timing. I could be wrong, though.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/1/12 11:40 a.m.

I saw four real ones this morning!

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku SuperDork
3/1/12 11:45 a.m.

I like how the dyno sheet shows the full RPM range, not just 2500 or 3000 and up like most advertisements.

Woody
Woody SuperDork
3/1/12 11:47 a.m.

In the back of most (all?) Porsche owner's manuals, there are complete horsepower and torque curves.

AutoXR
AutoXR HalfDork
3/1/12 11:58 a.m.

Kind of old news. There have been more then a few guys cutting down 3.2's for years making 4cyl 4 cammers. IT's not a "repro" but the same thing. I saw one a few years ago @ the PCA Zone 1- 2 day event.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
3/1/12 12:06 p.m.

such a beautiful and complicated engine.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh New Reader
3/1/12 12:08 p.m.
AutoXR wrote: Kind of old news. There have been more then a few guys cutting down 3.2's for years making 4cyl 4 cammers. IT's not a "repro" but the same thing. I saw one a few years ago @ the PCA Zone 1- 2 day event.

3.2L wasser-boxers? or 3.2L 911 carrera motors? I've seen the later done a few times, but it's not a 4 cam. air cooled 911's are all SOHC.

tpwalsh
tpwalsh New Reader
3/1/12 12:09 p.m.
Woody wrote: In the back of most (all?) Porsche owner's manuals, there are complete horsepower and torque curves.

And fuel efficency curves and gear ratio charts. I can post a picture of my owners manual if someone really wants to see. (73T)

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 12:12 p.m.
tpwalsh wrote:
AutoXR wrote: Kind of old news. There have been more then a few guys cutting down 3.2's for years making 4cyl 4 cammers. IT's not a "repro" but the same thing. I saw one a few years ago @ the PCA Zone 1- 2 day event.

3.2L wasser-boxers? or 3.2L 911 carrera motors? I've seen the later done a few times, but it's not a 4 cam. air cooled 911's are all SOHC.

I like the word Wasser-Boxer. I think I might call my band that...

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 12:22 p.m.
Javelin wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Re-producing usually means the original tooling though. I got the impression that the tooling is all new (though to the original specs?).

Not always. You can easily reproduce anything these days with cad drawings of an existing piece.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/1/12 12:33 p.m.
Maroon92 wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Re-producing usually means the original tooling though. I got the impression that the tooling is all new (though to the original specs?).

Not always. You can easily reproduce anything these days with cad drawings of an existing piece.

Exactly. That would be "re-manufactured". It's the original design, but new tooling (the machines used to make the parts).

As opposed to "re-producing", which is taking the original tooling and just printing another run (a'la model cars, the Jensen Interceptor, etc).

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/1/12 12:57 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
Maroon92 wrote:
Javelin wrote: In reply to Maroon92: Re-producing usually means the original tooling though. I got the impression that the tooling is all new (though to the original specs?).

Not always. You can easily reproduce anything these days with cad drawings of an existing piece.

Exactly. That would be "re-manufactured". It's the original design, but new tooling (the machines used to make the parts).

As opposed to "re-producing", which is taking the original tooling and just printing another run (a'la model cars, the Jensen Interceptor, etc).

I guess I always associate "Remanufactured" as rebuilt. ie. taking your alternator core back to auto-zone to be "remanufactured" and sold to some other schlub.

Javelin
Javelin SuperDork
3/1/12 1:00 p.m.

In reply to Maroon92:

Eh could be either way. Damn semantics and ambiguous English language!

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Reader
3/2/12 9:56 a.m.

Wow, that's a flat torque curve.

I'm pretty sure pricing will make it prohibitive except for vintage connoisseurs.

David

Maroon92
Maroon92 SuperDork
3/2/12 10:16 a.m.
DWNSHFT wrote: Wow, that's a flat torque curve.

Like a table top. Wow.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe HalfDork
3/2/12 11:12 a.m.
tpwalsh wrote: 356 people are generally wealthy, and completely nuts. Ohh and shop assembly time is over 40 hours for one of those motors. Gear driven cams x4!

Wonder if they fixed the massive oil cooling flaws in these motors that caused them to self destruct at idle.

550 spyders need to keep on the move at all times or the motors have a tenancy to go BOOM!.

ransom
ransom Dork
3/2/12 12:05 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: 550 spyders need to keep on the move at all times or the motors have a tenancy to go BOOM!.

Like SHARKS!

Well, not "boom", but you get the idea...

eHlLsiGbZGjKZZYxKSwwYqu8zKstP3Hf