1 2 3
B14boy
B14boy
10/24/11 1:23 a.m.

I figured the B13 SE-R would be right up Grassroots alley so I figured I would post here.

I need some guidance. I had a B14 SE-R and absolutely loved it. The car has been sold for years now and I've been wanting an SE-R but I either see really crappy ones posted on Craigslist and sometimes the same ones have been reposted for the past year or two. Even when I had my B14 I still wanted to get a B13. Pretty much I have lost hope on finding a B13 SE-R with decent mileage, in decent condition, and stock condition local to me. The closest B13 SE-R I found happened to be down the street from me. It was a straight up hoopty with bad two tone paintjob and shiny rims.

This leads me to my current question. What can I find that was made post-millenium that can remind me of an old B13 or B14 SE-R. It has to be FWD, fairly reliable, easy on gas, have good looks, and have an eagerness to redline.

I thought of a Protege5 as it has good utility, good looks, and decent handling but it doesn't beg to be beaten on or have that urgency to redline.

Help me find my soulmate?

Vigo
Vigo Dork
10/24/11 1:28 a.m.

huh.. light, post-2000, likes to rev, roughly as quick or quicker than b13 se-r... Celica gt-s?

B14boy
B14boy New Reader
10/24/11 1:30 a.m.
Vigo wrote: huh.. light, post-2000, likes to rev, roughly as quick or quicker than b13 se-r... Celica gt-s?

That's a good one. That should have already been on my list. Not sure on the handling though since I haven't driven one and can't compare.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
10/24/11 1:54 a.m.

I vote 2000 Honda Civic Si or 2000-2001 Acura Integra GS-R. I kinda cheated since that was the very end of their production run, but totally meets the requirements you laid out

From what people say the Celica GTS is an excellent front driver. I've never had the chance to drive one.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
10/24/11 7:38 a.m.

I miss my SE-R also and I have been faced with the same problem. The answer is there really isn't anything that can replace it. One of the all time greats.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
10/24/11 8:14 a.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/6903/

Not for sale.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
10/24/11 8:25 a.m.

Having owned one, I agree that an Integra is a good substitute for an SE-R.

A few months ago I found a B13 SE-R in my area with decent mileage on CL. The guy never replied. The B14s? Rarely see those, but the 2000-2002 I am starting to see...but all have automatic.

Taiden
Taiden Dork
10/24/11 8:41 a.m.

i miss my sr20ve swapped 4 door with nx2k everything else

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/24/11 8:45 a.m.

G20s are also a good option...

I'm going to get killed on this, but I found that a B13 SE-R and an E36 felt very similar, even taking into account the obvious FWD/RWD difference.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/24/11 9:16 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: I vote 2000 Honda Civic Si or 2000-2001 Acura Integra GS-R. I kinda cheated since that was the very end of their production run, but totally meets the requirements you laid out From what people say the Celica GTS is an excellent front driver. I've never had the chance to drive one.

You know, the 2000 Civic Si would be a good choice. I had a B13 SE-R back when new, and we now have a 2000 Civic Si. There's some similarities there.

Klayfish
Klayfish HalfDork
10/24/11 9:23 a.m.

I'd absolutely vote Integra GS-R. I had a '96, which was essentially identical to what was sold in '00-'01. It hit every key point you mentioned. If you didn't stick your foot up it's hind quarters, it would get 30+mpg. It loved to rev, in fact it was happiest above 4000rpm. Dead nuts reliable. Awesome handling. Hatchback versitility.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
10/24/11 11:25 a.m.
I'm going to get killed on this, but I found that a B13 SE-R and an E36 felt very similar, even taking into account the obvious FWD/RWD difference.

I didnt kill the car magazine that said the Mazda3 was a poor man's 3 series. I pretty much agreed with that. Sort of analogous.

Celicas are apparently pretty hot handlers.

Had a 2001 Integra GS/5spd in the family for a while. Lots of great things about the car, but the motor and the handling weren't among them, at least on that trim level.. I wouldnt call it a fun car as delivered.

2000 (no 2001 that im aware of) Civic Si seems reasonable.. Definitely avoid the 02-05 imo. Not rev-happy, not good looking, not quick.

A g20 5 speed sounds good. I briefly had an auto g20 that i bought back from a friend's insurance for $200 after he totalled it. With a 5spd it would be a fun car (very similar to b13+ weight, tho).

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/24/11 11:28 a.m.
B14boy wrote:
Vigo wrote: huh.. light, post-2000, likes to rev, roughly as quick or quicker than b13 se-r... Celica gt-s?
That's a good one. That should have already been on my list. Not sure on the handling though since I haven't driven one and can't compare.

The handling is likely... better.

The 00-05 Celica GTS is best described as 98% of an Integra Type R for 50-60% the price for a nice one. WAY less likely to be stolen, too. They're faster than GS-Rs when you beat the snot out of them, and might handle better.

Of course, there's a lot of personal preference in there as well. Do you want a simpler, no features interior that looks like the early 90s? (Some do, i like it) That would be Integra. The Celica is a more modern car, inside and out, for better or for worse.

No weight penalty, though. A fully loaded Celica is still in the 2500lbs range.

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon HalfDork
10/24/11 11:52 a.m.

I've got an 01 Sentra SE, with the roller rocker SR20 and five speed. The car is a hoot, and it's a bit of a sleeper since people don't connect it with the SER cars because of the different nose. I beat on it all the time, and aside from a pair of cv axles and a starter, no problems at all in almost 100k miles.

It will need a clutch soon, and it needs struts pretty bad, but that's expected stuff. I wouldn't hesitate to buy four more just like it.

I do too, however, vote for the Celica GTS. The 2ZZ is a freaking peach.

SVTF
SVTF Reader
10/24/11 12:05 p.m.

I had an NX2000 and a B14 SE-R. No question, the Focus SVT is along the same lines (only better) in every catagory.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
10/24/11 12:18 p.m.

In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac:

I wish I liked the styling of the 00-05 Celica GTS. I would have one right now. Instead I'm turning a '97 Civic EX coupe into a bastard child of an Integra and an Si. Once that's done I'll be sleeping outdoors in a ghillie suit waiting for the thieves to come.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
10/24/11 12:22 p.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: In reply to 92CelicaHalfTrac: I wish I liked the styling of the 00-05 Celica GTS. I would have one right now. Instead I'm turning a '97 Civic EX coupe into a bastard child of an Integra and an Si. Once that's done I'll be sleeping outdoors in a ghillie suit waiting for the thieves to come.

I can certainly understand that. I've seen very few that i liked the "look" of.

They "butch up" a bit when lowered with wide rubber, but even then, i still like the looks of the old Celicas better.

If OP is up for an idea out of left park since we're on the Celica discussion... If you don't mind a relatively easy swap, late 90s Celica with a 3sge swap? Or 90-93 Celica ST with a 4age 20v Blacktop + 6spd? Should be able to buy car and complete for around $3000 if you shop around.

B14boy
B14boy New Reader
10/24/11 2:49 p.m.

There's some good suggestions in here.

I'll definitely check out a last gen Celica GTS.

I was checking out the Focus SVT but I've never owned a Ford product and not sure on the reliability. Have you guys had good luck with these? I think I'll check these out too.

As for the Civic/Integra platform I admire and appreciate their performance potential but I just find them to be absoltuely boring to drive. There's a lot of Honda boys in my area too and I don't trust that some of these kids wouldn't respect my property enough to not steal it.

Anything after the B14 chassis is not under consideration either.

Nothing pre-2000 involving swaps for me either.

integraguy
integraguy SuperDork
10/24/11 3:01 p.m.

I forgot about the G20, which is weird, since I owned a '92 G and a '92 Integra. The Integra coming after the G. Don't bother with a G20 with auto, it just isn't quite the same.

Of those two? The G20 is a better car / closer to a B13 SE-R, for obvious reasons. I can't comment on the GSR Integras, or the Type Rs, they would seem to be a case of "gilding the lily". Unfortunately, G20s are hard to find too, unless you want auto AND high mileages. The last one in my area was an auto with 140K on it.

B14boy
B14boy New Reader
10/24/11 3:29 p.m.

Yeah G20's in good condition are getting harder to find. Why don't people take better care of their SR20 powered cars?!

The only pre-2000 car I'm considering is a BMW 318is but the ones for sale are always horribly molested. The clean ones I see are of course not for sale.

SVTF
SVTF Reader
10/24/11 4:11 p.m.
B14boy wrote: I was checking out the Focus SVT but I've never owned a Ford product and not sure on the reliability. Have you guys had good luck with these? I think I'll check these out too.

By 2002, the Foci were pretty solid. I have two, one with 96k and one with 86k. Both have seen track duty, and are very capable from the factory. Both have been very reliable, but then I do all the maintenence. Many of the issues with SVT Foci were caused by poor OEM service - dealers who didn't even know SVT Foci existed.

There are a few issues that are well known and cheap to fix - clutch master cylinder, timing belt tensioner/idler pulleys, leaky t'stat housing. Some 2002 SVT Foci had pre-mature clutch issues, but those would be before 2003 model year, I believe. I have not had any clutch issues except the leaky master cylinder. $50 part, under the dash install.

Lots of info on focaljet.com

Duke
Duke SuperDork
10/24/11 4:18 p.m.

I'll make a vote for a second-generation Neon ACR. They are not common - even less so than the first gen - but they do exist. Slightly more common is the R/T which shares most of the fun parts and only really misses out on the trick struts.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/25/11 10:43 a.m.

Skip Barber used Neon R/Ts while they were sponsored by Dodge and they were a blast to drive. The only mods were tires and the rear sway bar from I believe the SRT-4.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
10/25/11 12:41 p.m.

2001 Tiburon. Still small, easy to work on, still able to get power out of them and they are super cheap now.

rotard
rotard Reader
10/25/11 12:56 p.m.

What kind of price range are we talking about here?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
H0uviqz3VDQ9FuxlJ1vIRTkSMj3GxH7YAjGZ6hNCJFfyS64rz98OFvGMI63RH76i