1 2 3
familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
10/30/11 11:13 a.m.

A p5 with an OBX header and VTCS removal works pretty well over stock. Still not too rev happy though.

Got 2 P5's in my stable....both well over 200K, one very close to 300K.

SVTF
SVTF Reader
10/31/11 8:27 a.m.
B14boy wrote: That's why I started looking to the Protege5. From what I read it's a little lighter and has a shorter wheelbase than the MP3.

I think it is the other way around. The MP3 sedan is lighter than the P5 semi-wagon, and most likely shorter wheelbase, being a standard sedan config. The MP3 almost feels TOO light - I can't imagine the P5 being lighter.

familytruckster
familytruckster Reader
10/31/11 8:40 a.m.
SVTF wrote:
B14boy wrote: That's why I started looking to the Protege5. From what I read it's a little lighter and has a shorter wheelbase than the MP3.
I think it is the other way around. The MP3 sedan is lighter than the P5 semi-wagon, and most likely shorter wheelbase, being a standard sedan config. The MP3 almost feels TOO light - I can't imagine the P5 being lighter.

They use the same springs and shocks, so they have to be really close. Wheelbases are the same, rear overhang past the rear wheels on the P5 is less than the sedan.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
10/31/11 12:52 p.m.
so what is considered to be the best year for celica gt-s'?

IIRC the first year (2000?) had a slightly higher rev limiter which is very useful for keeping it 'on the cam' whereas the later years' lower limiter meant that you HAD to fall off the cam even if you shifted at the limiter.

Maybe it is easier to move the limiter or lower the engagement point of the vtec-amajigger on later years than it is to shop only for one model year, though.

lnlds
lnlds New Reader
10/31/11 2:31 p.m.

I believe 2000-2001 are the best years for the gt-s. Later models got gimped with a lower redline, drive-by wire or both. There are some late models with a higher redline but apparently the drive-by wire system detracts from the driving experience.

edit:

googling tells me 2000-2001: are pretty much the same. 2002: Because of all the miss-shifts, the transmission was redesigned with wider shift gates. The ratios and everything stayed the same, the ONLY thing that changed in the tranny was the shift gates. Also in 2002, the rev limiter was lowered to 7800rpms instead of 8400rpms in the previous years. This was also done to prevent over-rev from mis-shifts. 2003-2004: In 2003, Toyota now uses DBW (drive by wire) in the celica. Instead of there being a throttle cable, the throttle is controlled electronically. The rev limiter is raised back to 8400rpms. The interior also has a minor upgrade. 2005: The 2005 Celica is back with the 7800rpm rev limiter. Everything else remains unchanged. Who would have thought Toyota would let the Celica go out like this?? Drive by wire AND the lower rev limiter
smog7
smog7 Dork
10/31/11 5:56 p.m.

I think I'm going to start looking for a 2000-2001 gts.

Doe these cars have any major problems?

Vigo
Vigo Dork
10/31/11 10:57 p.m.

Thanks for the info InIds, ive got it all straight now.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/1/11 9:16 a.m.
smog7 wrote: I think I'm going to start looking for a 2000-2001 gts. Doe these cars have any major problems?

Not really. The "money shift" is the only real issue.

But you won't be looking at cars that had that problem, because they probably won't be running.

They also make relatively insane amounts of power with bolt ons and a tune.

Intake, header, exhaust, intake manifold, and a PowerFC and you're looking at ~220-230hp TO THE WHEELS. You're hauling balls in something that light with that gearing at that point.

Really, as long as it's a real throttle cable car, the year doesn't matter. You can change redline and lift engagement with the PowerFC i believe.

lnlds
lnlds New Reader
11/3/11 10:42 p.m.

If you're worried about the money shift issue. I think another option is to buy a 2002 and swap in a 2000-2001 knock sensor and ecu. This way you get a real throttle cable, the 8400 fuel cutoff, and widened shift gates.

EdenPrime
EdenPrime Reader
11/3/11 11:05 p.m.

I got to this thread late, but i'd like to say that Celicas handle awesome. Their biggest strength is their great handling-- their biggest weakness is 133lbs of torque.

But one just won the Showroom Stock C NASA races a year or two ago. I was pretty proud. It beat out Integras and Mazda 3s.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
11/3/11 11:44 p.m.

I have owned most of the cars in this discussion, and I keep coming back to the B13. I am not sure why you are having such a hard time finding one for sale there are several nice ones on SR20forum.com. I wouldn't be so concerened about mileage. My current B13 with 270K miles drives much better then the last two that I owned which had low 100k on them. Just find a well maintained one and enjoy it.

Here is a nice B13 with a VE installed for 4900.00. My last VE made 198whp... Much more fun to drive then the two Celica GTS I have owned.

http://www.sr20forum.com/cars-sale/273402-sc-very-clean-no-rust-se-r-strong-ve-c-strong.html

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
11/4/11 12:00 a.m.

As far as comparing to a Focus SVT I have breifly owned a rare 5 door hatch and a 3 door. The b13 feels smaller and more tossable. I will concede that the focus motor made more power but the SR20 is a strong engine that will run for a long time with just oil changes. And more power is $1000 away with a VE which bolts right in.

I also was not a fan of the interior of the focus, it felt kind of "plasticy". The GS-R and the B13 had better interiors IMO.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
11/4/11 12:17 a.m.
B14boy wrote:
Vigo wrote: huh.. light, post-2000, likes to rev, roughly as quick or quicker than b13 se-r... Celica gt-s?
That's a good one. That should have already been on my list. Not sure on the handling though since I haven't driven one and can't compare.

They handle very well but the engine, well, kind of sucks.

Very narrow power band way, way up in the rev range. It's sort of like a v-tech, but the gears are far enough apart you fall out of the "v-tech" after each redline shift.

edit I have no idea what they're like modded and the one I drove had an auto.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath HalfDork
11/4/11 12:22 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote: 2001 Tiburon. Still small, easy to work on, still able to get power out of them and they are super cheap now.

Yes, very much so. ^ You can make them handle very well and they make about the same power as a mildly modded B13 would stock.

B14boy
B14boy New Reader
11/4/11 1:51 a.m.
pimpm3 wrote: I have owned most of the cars in this discussion, and I keep coming back to the B13. I am not sure why you are having such a hard time finding one for sale there are several nice ones on SR20forum.com. I wouldn't be so concerened about mileage. My current B13 with 270K miles drives much better then the last two that I owned which had low 100k on them. Just find a well maintained one and enjoy it. Here is a nice B13 with a VE installed for 4900.00. My last VE made 198whp... Much more fun to drive then the two Celica GTS I have owned. http://www.sr20forum.com/cars-sale/273402-sc-very-clean-no-rust-se-r-strong-ve-c-strong.html

I don't buy cars that aren't within my local vicinity. I wouldn't fly out or roadtrip to a car which might end up being a total piece.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
11/4/11 6:36 a.m.
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
B14boy wrote:
Vigo wrote: huh.. light, post-2000, likes to rev, roughly as quick or quicker than b13 se-r... Celica gt-s?
That's a good one. That should have already been on my list. Not sure on the handling though since I haven't driven one and can't compare.
They handle very well but the engine, well, kind of sucks. Very narrow power band way, way up in the rev range. It's sort of like a v-tech, but the gears are far enough apart you fall out of the "v-tech" after each redline shift. edit I have no idea what they're like modded and the one I drove had an auto.

Well... an auto would definitely fall out of lift on shifts. Not as many gears.

With a proper transmission it's way easier to stay on the cam.

Merc
Merc New Reader
11/4/11 2:43 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote:
DaewooOfDeath wrote:
B14boy wrote:
They handle very well but the engine, well, kind of sucks. Very narrow power band way, way up in the rev range. It's sort of like a v-tech, but the gears are far enough apart you fall out of the "v-tech" after each redline shift. edit I have no idea what they're like modded and the one I drove had an auto.
Well... an auto would definitely fall out of lift on shifts. Not as many gears. With a proper transmission it's way easier to stay on the cam.

That is until you burn a valve lol! Which happens quite a bit and may be the only draw back to this yamaha designed engine.
I also think the gearing is a little too wide for the manual. It also seems like the 6th gear is pretty much a useless gear even at highway speeds. I think its intention at the time was just a marketing gimmick. None the less, I did like it overall as well.

jthess76
jthess76
5/9/13 8:24 p.m.

I have a B13 that I would be willing to part with. Over 9k worth of repairs done at Nissan dealership in the past year. Some work still under warranty. Original motor. I am the 2nd owner with repair records going back to about ~1999--when I purchased the car with 70k miles. All stock except for HKS Sport Exhaust and K&N air filter. Cold A/C. Email me at jthess76 where the * is @gmail.com! I am in West Central Florida.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
5/9/13 8:54 p.m.

I know its a bit out of the price range but all I kept thinking was RSX.

Boost_Crazy
Boost_Crazy New Reader
5/9/13 9:02 p.m.

In reply to jthess76

Curious, what is the oldest thread you found on the Internet in which to plug an ad for your car? If the original poster is still looking, you can probably just name your price.

JtspellS
JtspellS Dork
5/9/13 9:06 p.m.

Wow did not see that, lol possible starter CANOE is fooling me

kanaric
kanaric New Reader
5/10/13 1:10 a.m.

Pontiac Vibe with 2zz-ge, and if you want the trd supercharger bolts on. Any mazda/mazdaspeed 3 but turbo kills revs i suppose Infiniti G20 RSX Type S Integra Type R <- these are amazing Toyota Matrix XRS - same as the vibe gt probably Focus SVT <- probably the most like your sentra Mini Cooper

I've seen quite a few MK2,3, and 4 GTIs with the R32 engine as a swap, lol. That would probably be fun so long as they also swapped in a LSD.

Wxdude10
Wxdude10 New Reader
5/10/13 7:55 a.m.

In reply to B14boy:

I remember C & D's review of the MP3. They were using it as the case car for a comparo of some high power sports cars (vette, etc.). The gist of it was, more fun than the big cars they were chasing as you could use it at 8/10ths-9/10ths on the regular roads while the bigs cars were only just getting started.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PuXpAWFSke6rnVV6sqeeUnFoNFXAnnSu6ttJQeSYywDHynQHeSmR0xyrVSHFklTD