1 2
mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/24/12 9:45 a.m.

My brother had a 94 Z28. While the interior was absolutely junk, that car was pretty fast, made the right noises, and actually got decent mileage. I didn't mind that car. I'm also a big fan of the Grand Prix GTPs. Always did like the 3800 supercharged. Great motor IMO. I currently own a 92 XJ, and that little bugger is awesome. Total death trap due to tin worm, but damn if it doesn't just GO.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
8/24/12 10:08 a.m.

I've had two domestics that I enjoyed very much:

And Though this one had a lot of Mazda in it.

fidelity101
fidelity101 New Reader
8/24/12 10:21 a.m.

You guys are allll wrong!

This is the BIG 3.

Pacaar Navistar DTNA

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/24/12 10:34 a.m.

I must be one of the few that likes the 300C. Big, comfy, quiet, good power, even with the 3.5L V6, for 4k+ pounds.....And they don't suck too bad to work on given it's a domestic version of a Benz since it is a Benz.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
8/24/12 12:47 p.m.

When I was working at the collision repair shop, the owner also had a small used car lot out front. One day he got a 2002 Pontiac Bonneville SLE from auction to flip. I borrowed it for the weekend and it was the first GM FWD car that made me go: "Wow, this isn't bad at all".

It was comfortable as hell, big, descent ride, and kind of sporty. Even though it had the non-supercharged 3800, it still scooted along rather well for 200hp. I dug the styling and the dash layout. If the car had been rear drive instead it would have been 10 times more awesome. For a semi-luxo cruiser, it was pretty nice.

Looked like this one only in silver:

Thanks, now I have to go look at CL

11110000 Reader
8/24/12 12:50 p.m.

I worked at an auto recon shop long ago, and I got behind the wheel of a late 90's Cadillac DeVille Concours one day. I was blown away; in an era where most Caddies were wheezy, wallowing barges, here was one that looked like all the rest, but behaved so much more... Euro. The Northstar engine was smooth and powerful, and the electronically-controlled suspension worked miracles controlling body motions. It was like a American S-Class in every way (but still lacking taste.)

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
8/24/12 1:33 p.m.
John Brown wrote: My job is cool, not JG Pasterjak or Pat Caherty cool, but I have it kinda easy. I am the Shop Foreman for a GM garage, which usually means I am a low level assistant manager but in my dealerships case I am basically being groomed for the Service Manager position. Part of my job duties include problem resolution, dealer training and long test drives. Some times I get paid way too much to do my job. I have found that there are a couple cars that I get to drive that I really had never even considered looking at before and I truly enjoy. Everything that ends in "V", any Buick that ends in "GS" or "Super" and of course all LS powered vehicles. Tonight I got to abus... err... test a 2007 Cadillac STS V with the 4.4L Supercharged Northstar mill... I could live with both of its personalities. What car have you found that you really like driving that you never really knew anything about?

This would be an excellent replacement for Mrs. Zero 740i if it expires.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/24/12 1:42 p.m.

I would rock this even if I had to actually buy one on credit.

EDIT: I lied about the credit part - but I would save up for it :)

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/24/12 3:45 p.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: I would rock this even if I had to actually buy one on credit. EDIT: I lied about the credit part - but I would save up for it :)

Great. You have reminded me of why I hate GM...

THEY KILLED PONTIAC! sigh

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
8/24/12 4:56 p.m.

oddly enough, the e30 fits that description. Though I've been around performance cars and motorsports for some time, I always head people say how it was such a great "driver's car" and how perfect the e30 was in most ways. Mostly, being a Subaru/Nissan guy I wrote this off to BMW homers and ego-owners.....

Then I got an e30. And it's all true.

Now I want another one for trackdays, and another one (I WILL build or find an e30 "x" wagon) for a daily driver/fun car.

MOst of the "big 3" cars I've owned or driven were exactly what I expected, for better or for worse. None really surprised me by being much better or worse than I thought they'd be.

mistanfo
mistanfo SuperDork
8/24/12 7:31 p.m.

A friend's mother had a brand new Buick in the mid to late 90s. He told me that it was fast, I called him a lier. We took it up his concession, and it was certainly one of the quicker cars I had been in at that point in my life. The next day his mother yelled at him for driving it so fast, and when he tried to deny it she marched him outside (with a good grip on his ear) and showed him the average fuel economy readout. He had managed to half it (lifetime, but it was new off the lot) in that 5-6 mile run.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam UltraDork
8/24/12 7:46 p.m.
John Brown wrote: Tonight I got to abus... err... test a 2007 Cadillac STS V with the 4.4L Supercharged Northstar mill... I could live with both of its personalities.

I had the opportunity to "test" one of those that was traded in while I worked at the dealer. It would make a serious autobahn cruiser if they sold them in the Fatherland...onramp, plant your foot, look down four seconds later, and you're going 120. Scary fast and almost silent while doing it.

I like some Big 3 cars...any Cadillac V, the new Buick Regal is a sharp car, any Corvette. In Ford land, you have to like the GT, the SVT and GT Mustangs, Lightnings, the Foci and Fiesta are good cars too. The only thing Chrysler has made that's worth a E36 M3 in the past 15 years is the Viper, though.

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo Dork
8/24/12 9:05 p.m.

Some of the great GM cars of the past 3 decades

1. Early Cavalier Z24, especially with the 3100 and 5 speed. Lotta motor in not a big car. Pretty classic looks for an original 91-93. Most have been cobbled, riced, wrecked, or all of the above.
  2. Beretta GTZ. Quad 4 HO, 5 speed, great suspension, tolerable interiors, and better looking than a same year Cavalier. Make mine all white, please. Same could go for a Beretta Indy. Z26's are OK looking, but not as cool as a GTZ.
  3. S10 SS. 4.3, handling package, classic good looks without all the EXTTREEEEMEEE ground effects of the later ones.
  4. Syclone/Typhoon. All that needs to be said on this.
  5. 454 SS. Sure, its a full size pickup with some decent wheels and 190 horse 454, but its got a big block! Heads/cam/exhaust/intake away from some real numbers and a collectible in its own right, much more so than a 1st gen Lightning.
  6. Supercharged 3800 cars. Surprisingly fast and options that would make a Cadillac owner hang their head in shame.
  7. Lumina Z34. Nice monochrome paint, cool decals and scoops, 200 horse and a 5 speed.
  8. 2 door Yukon/Tahoes from the 90s. Rare and cool, could be had with a diesel for a neat little trucklet that will knock down 25MPG, haul sheets of drywall, and look good doing it.
  9. W bodies, especially 93-94 Grand Prixes. Tough as nails. Look good enough to not be laughed at as long as they are 2 doors. Parts are free. Still like a monochrome 93-94 Grand Prix. If they had been RWD and 3800 everyone would want one. Could be had in a 3100 turbo if you really hate life.
  10. Turbo Trans Am. Not those turds from the early 80s, the later 1989s. Grand National power in a good looking, good handling chassis.
  11. 80s Monte Carlo SS. Go Dale!
  12. Trans Am GTA. The ultimate evolution of the 3rd gen F body. Purists would say the Firehawk is the ultimate evolution, but with such low production numbers, the GTA is the one everyone could own.
mattmacklind
mattmacklind UltimaDork
8/24/12 9:06 p.m.

I think the ford flex is awesome, and I do like certain recent Cadillacs, even non V models. I always notice recent STS models, too bad its no longer made.

yamaha
yamaha HalfDork
8/25/12 12:48 a.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

You would really like that bodystyle bonnie gxp then......as with all northstar fwds, they're a blast when not needing head gaskets or a transmission.

Anyone here ever happen across an early 90's grand prix turbo......3100 and boost......killed by the autotradgic tho. Neat cars.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UltraDork
8/25/12 1:25 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: Some of the great GM cars of the past 3 decades

That's a solid list. I agree with every one. The Beretta GTZ was a really good looking car, and that Quad 4 made all the right sounds, along with good power.

novaderrik
novaderrik SuperDork
8/25/12 1:50 a.m.
93gsxturbo wrote: Some of the great GM cars of the past 3 decades 2. Beretta GTZ. Quad 4 HO, 5 speed, great suspension, tolerable interiors, and better looking than a same year Cavalier. Make mine all white, please. Same could go for a Beretta Indy. Z26's are OK looking, but not as cool as a GTZ. 7. Lumina Z34. Nice monochrome paint, cool decals and scoops, 200 horse and a 5 speed. 10. Turbo Trans Am. Not those turds from the early 80s, the later 1989s. Grand National power in a good looking, good handling chassis. 11. 80s Monte Carlo SS. Go Dale! 12. Trans Am GTA. The ultimate evolution of the 3rd gen F body. Purists would say the Firehawk is the ultimate evolution, but with such low production numbers, the GTA is the one everyone could own.

i agree with these..

my brother had a Beretta GTZ with the Quad 4 and a 5 speed. fast little car. it threw a rod at just above idle speed one day, but he said he was shifting it at 7500 rpm the day before.. i'm sure there was no correlation.. he was claiming mpg numbers in the mid 30's.

i want to find a 5 speed Lumina Z34 for a daily driver.. as much as i despise DOHC engines when it comes time to work on them, the 3.4 is a damn good engine and a first gen Lumina is a nice plain basic well laid out car- and a 5 speed would just make it that much more "epic" and "full of win", as the kids say these days.

the Trans Am GTA had the best looking wheels GM ever put on anything, ever.. i have 2 sets of them..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cugnYK0vJjMkSYtodP1RzXhJ2rpHM6NEo4yhnhsPVmq7an7A1gQZ7P7FnzwqKDrg