1 2 3 ... 7
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 7:40 a.m.

... You want to try anyways.

I'll start.

C230 Kompressor, as in the car that everyone hates in OST's recent thread.

It's a German hatchback, can be had with a 6spd, is supercharged, and looks awesome dumped. How bad can it REALLY be?

My other big one right now: P38 Range Rover. They can be had in great shape for $4k, because they're presumably enormous pieces of crap. But, they look cool, have awesome interiors, and goddamnit, they're a RANGE ROVER.

How bad can it REALLY be?

Linley Interior:

30th Anniversary Edition had GREEN interior, including carpet! Rad!

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/10/14 7:44 a.m.

I had a neighbor that had one of those mercedes. Seems like weekly he was out with part of the interoir taken apart. He didn't have a garage.

pres589
pres589 UltraDork
12/10/14 7:51 a.m.

I'd think a 318ti would be much better all around forever than the C230. If you need the extra power go find a turbo kit and such. The green interior on the Rover is horrid. I'm serious here. Awful. Otherwise sure why not.

RossD
RossD PowerDork
12/10/14 7:52 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: 30th Anniversary Edition had GREEN interior, including carpet! Rad!

Green Carpeting reminds me of being on my grandparent's back patio.

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
12/10/14 7:53 a.m.

Anything with four interconnected circles on the grill. BTDT, have the scars to prove it. (and I'm a longtime VW fanboi)

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 7:53 a.m.

I'd like to try one of these one day.

Unfortunately, for the price I'll be willing to spend, it will be a basket case.

I'll second the Range Rover. I'd love to have one.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 7:55 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I'd think a 318ti would be much better all around forever than the C230. If you need the extra power go find a turbo kit and such. The green interior on the Rover is horrid. I'm serious here. Awful. Otherwise sure why not.

That's not the point, though. I KNOW the 318Ti is a better car.

I know the C230 Kompressor sucks. But i'm still drawn to it.

I don't think all the 30th Anniversary RRs had the full green treatment. There was one for sale here a few months back that had a black leather interior with the green carpet, and was a nice British Green paint outside. Looked really classy, actually. I chickened out and shopped for cheap reliable SUVs like Anything-That's-Not-A-Red-Cherokee instead.

ScreaminE
ScreaminE HalfDork
12/10/14 7:57 a.m.

Anything DSM. There will be plenty of folks who swear otherwise, but compared to other cars I've wrenched on they are so fragile.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 7:58 a.m.
ScreaminE wrote: Anything DSM. There will be plenty of folks who swear otherwise, but compared to other cars I've wrenched on they are so fragile.

Do you want to try one anyways?

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
12/10/14 8:01 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote: I'd like to try one of these one day. Unfortunately, for the price I'll be willing to spend, it will be a basket case. I'll second the Range Rover. I'd love to have one.

Sf1 and I were discussing this last night and I said.exactly.this.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UltraDork
12/10/14 8:09 a.m.

I'd rock that green P-38 RangeRover all day everyday! I hear that P-38 Rovers really aren't that bad, as long as they've been maintained by someone that knows what they're doing, just like many other cars that our community loves.

I wouldn't touch the Benz C230 hatch with a ten foot pole. Same goes for pretty much all modern M-Bs. I wouldn't be afraid of the BMW e36 hatch one bit though.

Personally, my fatal attraction is the Alfa Milano. I've had a few close calls on buying one. I'll try a lot harder when I have a house with a garage to keep it in.

I also lust for a Jag XJS or XJ-12 sedan, but those seem much less danger fraught than an Alfa to me.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/10/14 8:11 a.m.

Since high school, I've had a hard on for a black or green Range Rover Classic County LWB.

I still swoon every time I see one, and have to look whenever I notice one for sale. Sadly, they cost as much now as they did 10 years ago, and I don't see that changing. The cheaper ones don't seem to have aged well, either.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 8:15 a.m.

I still have a hard-on for the Classic Range Rover, but i always thought the P38 was a much worse idea, so figured it was more worthy of a mention in this thread.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 8:18 a.m.

I am always swayed by the "They used to the the top of the line model, but now you can get them for chump change" cars.

Audi V8

VW Pheaton

996 era 911

Limited edition Mercs

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 8:19 a.m.
Powar wrote: Since high school, I've had a hard on for a black or green Range Rover Classic County LWB.

If it lasts for more than 4 hours, you are supposed to call your doctor.

Powar
Powar SuperDork
12/10/14 8:22 a.m.
pinchvalve wrote:
Powar wrote: Since high school, I've had a hard on for a black or green Range Rover Classic County LWB.
If it lasts for more than 4 hours, you are supposed to call your doctor.

berkeley. It has been over 10 years.

johndej
johndej Reader
12/10/14 8:26 a.m.

BMW 7 series, any of them.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
12/10/14 8:30 a.m.

Um turbo Dodge

/thread

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
12/10/14 8:30 a.m.

I really really want a high horsepower excessively modded allroad.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 8:32 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote: I really really want a high horsepower excessively modded allroad.

I didn't know i wanted that until you put those words together into that specific sentence.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/10/14 8:34 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote: I still have a hard-on for the Classic Range Rover, but i always thought the P38 was a much worse idea, so figured it was more worthy of a mention in this thread.

I'm tempted every time a $1500 Discovery pops up on C-List.

The worst part is they pop up all the time. A $1000 will get you this one.

Needs frame work.

bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta New Reader
12/10/14 8:37 a.m.

Mk IV GTI VR6. I know they're nose-heavy, understeering, unreliable beasts, but man, that exhaust note. Every time I hear it, I want to own one.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 8:38 a.m.
bluebarchetta wrote: Mk IV GTI VR6. I know they're nose-heavy, understeering, unreliable beasts, but man, that exhaust note. Every time I hear it, I want to own one.

MKIV R32 is my E36 M3 that also scares me. So we can add that to the list.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
12/10/14 8:38 a.m.

2 stroke Saab
Isuzu Impulse Turbo (did it once, still kinda want to try again)
80's Soarer
Mazda Cosmo
REPU
BMW 8-Series V12
Jag V12
Early Lotus Anything
Autozam AZ-1
Honda City Turbo
Previa SC manual
Viper (sell v10/t56, install slant 6/3spd/big snail, lemons race it)
and that's just off the top of my head...

Also, since yesterday, F2T RX-8. And rallycross it.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
12/10/14 8:39 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Swank Force One wrote: I still have a hard-on for the Classic Range Rover, but i always thought the P38 was a much worse idea, so figured it was more worthy of a mention in this thread.
I'm tempted every time a $1500 Discovery pops up on C-List. The worst part is they pop up all the time. A $1000 will get you this one. Needs frame work.

I'm trying to justify this as "If i can get a halfway decent one for $3k, i can drive it until it pops, sell some stuff off of it, then go get $600 for it at the scrapyard."

And then not be out much money.

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Basically it comes down to: Buying a running vehicle for under $2k is almost a zero risk proposition in any circumstance.

1 2 3 ... 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gu5oxhbR04iNEooMJiV21KjmvAP6v8P4ryH4JEXIcfQx9KJuDMuGQnpBe0VgpnUy