1 2
pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/21/19 2:37 p.m.

 

Porsche wanted to look more like Tesla, so bam, another 4-door coupe SUV abomination. I would hate it, but it's probably fast as hell and good to drive for a 5 ton SUV. 

bcp2011
bcp2011 Reader
5/21/19 4:00 p.m.

In reply to pinchvalve :

Those are perfectly legitimate reasons to hate a car. I’m a pretty good basketball player for a short guy, but I still suck as basketball. laugh

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/21/19 4:08 p.m.

Has 4 doors. Is not a coupe. 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/21/19 5:45 p.m.
Appleseed said:

Has 4 doors. Is not a coupe. 

It is in the modern British and German interpretation. 

“Coupe” just means “cut” in French, referring to the roofline.  But even the French were smart enough not to bother with back doors when you’re going to crush the roofline down so stupidly low. 

None of which means anything because overpaid Type A types will buy them by the carrierload for their trophy spouses. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/21/19 7:01 p.m.

The French have croissants. We take that and make croissandwiches. This is America and we will define things as we see fit. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/21/19 7:11 p.m.
Duke said:

None of which means anything because overpaid Type A types will buy them by the carrierload for their trophy spouses. 

Doesn't matter why people buy them. The sales of the SUVs give Porsche the money to build ridiculous sports cars. So embrace them.

Vigo
Vigo UltimaDork
5/21/19 8:43 p.m.

It's a slightly less-good version of a very good car, so it just barely fails to live up to an unreasonably high standard! 

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/21/19 9:17 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Duke said:

None of which means anything because overpaid Type A types will buy them by the carrierload for their trophy spouses. 

Doesn't matter why people buy them. The sales of the SUVs give Porsche the money to build ridiculous sports cars. So embrace them.

Yeah, just look where that’s gotten us with BMW...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/21/19 9:20 p.m.

GIt will sell in droves. Why the hate?  It looks great and will help finance future 911’s and Boxster/Caymans. I don’t get the outrage.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler PowerDork
5/21/19 9:35 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

GIt will sell in droves. Why the hate?  It looks great and will help finance future 911’s and Boxster/Caymans. I don’t get the outrage.

First day on the forum? wink

dxman92
dxman92 Reader
5/21/19 9:55 p.m.

It doesn't look as bad as the Model X. Also better looking than the Panamera..

Nick Comstock
Nick Comstock MegaDork
5/21/19 10:18 p.m.

I agree that's not a coupe. But other than that I like it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/21/19 10:25 p.m.
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:
Duke said:

None of which means anything because overpaid Type A types will buy them by the carrierload for their trophy spouses. 

Doesn't matter why people buy them. The sales of the SUVs give Porsche the money to build ridiculous sports cars. So embrace them.

Yeah, just look where that’s gotten us with BMW...

It been working well for Porsche so far...

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/21/19 10:32 p.m.

having actually sat in the back of a Model X, I understand the gull wing doors. The entrance is carvernous compared to your average 4 door or SUV. There is no door to negotiate or get in the way, it's just a big hole to step into the car and sit down

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
5/22/19 2:19 a.m.
Keith Tanner said:
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:
Duke said:

None of which means anything because overpaid Type A types will buy them by the carrierload for their trophy spouses. 

Doesn't matter why people buy them. The sales of the SUVs give Porsche the money to build ridiculous sports cars. So embrace them.

Yeah, just look where that’s gotten us with BMW...

It been working well for Porsche so far...

So has making buyers pay more for things taken off. Porsche method of sales is not logical.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/22/19 7:45 a.m.
Appleseed said:
Keith Tanner said:
Duke said:
Keith Tanner said:
Duke said:

None of which means anything because overpaid Type A types will buy them by the carrierload for their trophy spouses. 

Doesn't matter why people buy them. The sales of the SUVs give Porsche the money to build ridiculous sports cars. So embrace them.

Yeah, just look where that’s gotten us with BMW...

It been working well for Porsche so far...

So has making buyers pay more for things taken off. Porsche method of sales is not logical.

Agreed.

Last year was a record year for Porsche, after 9 straight years of increasing sales in the US and  7 straight worldwide. 

It's pretty obvious they have no idea what they are doing.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/22/19 7:49 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

BMW is making money Hand über Faust, too.  None of us think they don't know what they're doing.  That doesn't mean we have to like it.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
5/22/19 8:12 a.m.

Guaranteed that it will sell, and I am OK with that because it funds things like the GT2RS. I can't afford any Porsche, so my opinion means little to Porsche, I just wish they kept "coupes" as 2-door cars and came up with a new term for raked-roof SUVs.  I guess Cayenne Dach Geharkt doesn't exactly roll off the tongue. 

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
5/22/19 8:30 a.m.

well, you could follow in Land Rover's footsteps and rename it completely.

 

Range Rover <--standard

Range Rover Evoque  <-- "coupe"

 

 

yupididit
yupididit UltraDork
5/22/19 8:43 a.m.

Damn, I love those lines. And that color does it for me. I normally don't like loud colors but that's hot. 

I can't honestly complain about any of the current Porsche. Maybe I'm just a fanboy lol

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
5/22/19 8:45 a.m.
parker
parker Reader
5/22/19 8:57 a.m.

Coupe is just as accurate as SUV in this case.  Most of what we call SUV's today are really just jacked up, huge car things.  There is not much utility or off-road capability.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
5/22/19 1:28 p.m.

There was a comment in EVO about the side marker lights on one of the GT3s - I lose track of the generations, but this particular one has slightly different fenders than the other 911s. This meant a unique side marker light, which was a 200,000 Euro expense. Without Cayennes and Panamericas, you don't have the budget to drop 200,000 Euros on something so trivial for a low volume halo car.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/22/19 1:36 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

There was a comment in EVO about the side marker lights on one of the GT3s - I lose track of the generations, but this particular one has slightly different fenders than the other 911s. This meant a unique side marker light, which was a 200,000 Euro expense. Without Cayennes and Panamericas, you don't have the budget to drop 200,000 Euros on something so trivial for a low volume halo car.

Likewise, the forthcoming Speedster features a lot of bespoke parts. It's more than a 911 with a funny roof. 

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/22/19 3:18 p.m.

A family friend just got a Mercedes GLE 43 AMG "coupe" because she wanted an SUV but wanted to stand out from the other moms.  That's really what sells this type of crossover:

PS -- That thing sits on 315 wide tires.  Good lawd!

1 2
Our Preferred Partners
NTydU7HSl9BG5vlzBYmbNKCg00VyVbVUH3XYUKR6GbJJy1yCulIM8TVPxLskaEc8