1 2
Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/22/19 3:41 p.m.
nderwater said:

A family friend just got a Mercedes GLE 43 AMG "coupe" because she wanted an SUV but wanted to stand out from the other moms.  That's really what sells this type of crossover:

PS -- That thing sits on 315 wide tires.  Good lawd!

I'm not saying anything against your friend, because I am not her and vice versa, but that thing is absolutely everything I don't want in a car and the (apparent) reasons for buying it.

Not that my opinion is relevant in any way to her decision.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson MegaDork
5/22/19 3:51 p.m.
Duke said:
nderwater said:

A family friend just got a Mercedes GLE 43 AMG "coupe" because she wanted an SUV but wanted to stand out from the other moms.  That's really what sells this type of crossover:

PS -- That thing sits on 315 wide tires.  Good lawd!

I'm not saying anything against your friend, because I am not her and vice versa, but that thing is absolutely everything I don't want in a car and the (apparent) reasons for buying it.

That thing looks kick ass, as does the Cayenne Coupe.  I"d have either of them in a heartbeat.  Would you all like me to hand in my GRM, Auto enthusiast and man cards?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
5/22/19 4:04 p.m.

In reply to Adrian_Thompson :

Duke said:

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
5/22/19 5:26 p.m.
mad_machine said:

having actually sat in the back of a Model X, I understand the gull wing doors. The entrance is carvernous compared to your average 4 door or SUV. There is no door to negotiate or get in the way, it's just a big hole to step into the car and sit down

Did a lot of work on the model X captains seats in the back.  They are super comfy, nice space and interesting configuration.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/22/19 6:05 p.m.

I like it. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
5/22/19 6:39 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:
That thing looks kick ass, as does the Cayenne Coupe.  I"d have either

of them in a heartbeat.  Would you all like me to hand in my GRM, Auto enthusiast and man cards?

Agree 100% . Let me know where to turn in my man card too

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
5/22/19 8:06 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson said:

That thing looks kick ass, as does the Cayenne Coupe.  I"d have either of them in a heartbeat.  Would you all like me to hand in my GRM, Auto enthusiast and man cards?

I got to flog that Merc hard for about 15 minutes.  It was not bad up till about 8/10ths but then started to be let down by its intrusive traction control and transmission programming.  From a performance driving standpoint you’d be better off with a Porsche Macan.

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
5/22/19 9:30 p.m.
nderwater said:
Adrian_Thompson said:

I got to flog that Merc hard for about 15 minutes.  It was not bad up till about 8/10ths but then started to be let down by its intrusive traction control and transmission programming.  From a performance driving standpoint you’d be better off with a Porsche Macan.

I drove a Macan Turbo on the track at Barber and was really impressed.  I could see myself owning one.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/23/19 12:19 a.m.

In reply to nderwater :

From a performance driving standpoint, if the only thing that you're better off driving is the comparable Porsche then I think you did pretty damn good. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Vt20jjFj9zatEXsySQJ41knlMLsjZVfYCWzM87atrXgTLw4NYr20V3Wlls1T4w3w