steronz
steronz Reader
10/1/14 1:28 p.m.

I impulse-bought a groupon for GP Indoor a few months back, and I need to use it soon. It's a "Super Sprint" event, which means 3 sessions -- practice, qualifying (based on lap time) and race. I'm going to set up an open event with signups, kicking around two ideas now based on the pricing structure they have:

1) $45, capped at 10 people, small cash payouts for the top 3 ($40, $20, $10)

Pros: Everyone gets to run in all 3 sessions, cheaper than buying 3 sessions at the member rate

Cons: It pretty much has to be exactly 10 people or I lose money at that price. (I'm making no profit on this either way.)

2) $65, no cap on the number of people, larger cash payouts for the top 5 ($100, $65, $45, $35, $25)

Pros: Flexibility in terms of how many people sign up

Cons: If more than ~14 people show up some people are going to get cut from the final race, people would have to be willing to pay extra for a shot at prize money because if they suck, that's $32.50 per session which is a lot more than if they just showed up off the street

WWGRMD?

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
10/1/14 3:03 p.m.

IMHO I usually see a hard time getting people to commit to stuff, so I'm leaning towards the 10max option. It sounds like either way you lose if less people show up?

steronz
steronz Reader
10/1/14 4:03 p.m.

Yeah, if I get fewer than 9 people signed up I'll just refund all money and invite my goofy friends to drive around all slow like. I was looking to set up something a bit more competitive, which means opening it up to people I'm barely acquainted with (or strangers).

Cactus
Cactus New Reader
10/1/14 4:36 p.m.

I suck at karts and I'm too fat to be competitive. Would be interested in friendly competition just for fun, but I'm not interested in paying extra to not win prize money.

Adrift
Adrift New Reader
10/1/14 6:27 p.m.
Cactus wrote: I suck at karts and I'm too fat to be competitive. Would be interested in friendly competition just for fun, but I'm not interested in paying extra to not win prize money.

+1

I'm local. Let me know when you have more details. My brother bought me several sessions for my birthday but I haven't been yet. He has been several times and might be interested as well.

Adrift
Adrift New Reader
10/1/14 6:29 p.m.
steronz wrote: Yeah, if I get fewer than 9 people signed up I'll just refund all money and invite my goofy friends to drive around all slow like. I was looking to set up something a bit more competitive, which means opening it up to people I'm barely acquainted with (or strangers).

No guarantee I would be any more competitive than your friends.

steronz
steronz Reader
10/1/14 6:36 p.m.

Here it is: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f4bafaa2cabf85-inaugural

October 23rd, 8pm.

$45 gets you 3 races.

We'll see how this goes.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
10/1/14 6:44 p.m.

Damn if it was a weekend I'd make the trip to C-Bus.

steronz
steronz Reader
10/1/14 6:45 p.m.

The curse of the groupon -- had to be Tues through Thursday.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
7IvctUZyRtFygPop0xsprK5dWlG2tY4IEANRfWddo47Oxz8fxUekxJyCHSTxvhnq