stan_d
stan_d Dork
11/2/08 6:45 p.m.

I noticed in the rules it saya passenger cars so does that mean no pick ups ?

Stan

Osterkraut
Osterkraut Reader
11/2/08 7:00 p.m.

There's been a pickup at the Challenge before, take that as you will.

evildky
evildky Dork
11/3/08 12:04 a.m.

pickups are allowed, just no batvans

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
11/3/08 5:29 a.m.

Pick ups are ok...as long as they are 2wd. Vehicle must meet SCCA and Nasa autocross rules.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/3/08 5:58 a.m.
evildky wrote: pickups are allowed, just no batvans

Why?

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/3/08 6:18 a.m.
914Driver wrote:
Why?

The famous BatVan had limited escape routes in case of rollover. So I think a BatVan without a computer command center between the driver and the passenger door might be OK.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/3/08 6:53 a.m.
MrJoshua wrote:
914Driver wrote:
Why?
The famous BatVan had limited escape routes in case of rollover. So I think a BatVan without a computer command center between the driver and the passenger door might be OK.

That issue was fixed in the rules for the next Challenge.

I believe, but can't confirm, that because of the pre-flight issues I and other cometitors had, the Challenge was move from April to October; giving us snowbirds more time to de-bug.

I have the next one already built {in my head} I just have to do the nuts and bolts now.....

Dan

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/3/08 5:00 p.m.

I loved the BatVan.

But with all due respect (and appreciation!) to Dan and his team, I'm not sure it would have made it through tech. There was no separation (firewall) between the engine and the driver's compartment.

Tech inspection was fairly lax. It has gotten a little tougher since then.

Plus, no 2nd exit, which is now illegal.

evildky
evildky Dork
11/3/08 11:10 p.m.

no doubt the batvan was call as hell but I'd be afraid to drive it and I am stupid

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/4/08 6:51 a.m.

blockquote>SVreX wrote:

I loved the BatVan.

But with all due respect (and appreciation!) to Dan and his team, I'm not sure it would have made it through tech. There was no separation (firewall) between the engine and the driver's compartment.

Tech inspection was fairly lax. It has gotten a little tougher since then.

Plus, no 2nd exit, which is now illegal.

[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/914Dan/Bat%20Bus%20/Img_0011.jpg[/IMG]

Dan was the team.

There was a separation between the engine compartment and driver.

Agreed, it was scary to drive, but hey, I didn't make it to be on the street. I had such a good time anyway, I have been scheming to go back ever since.

Dan

JmfnB
JmfnB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/4/08 7:57 a.m.

I would have rocked it. Imagine a Senecal-Nelson inspired Batvan...

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/4/08 9:19 a.m.
914Driver wrote: blockquote>SVreX wrote: I loved the BatVan. But with all due respect (and appreciation!) to Dan and his team, I'm not sure it would have made it through tech. There was no separation (firewall) between the engine and the driver's compartment. Tech inspection was fairly lax. It has gotten a little tougher since then. Plus, no 2nd exit, which is now illegal. [IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/914Dan/Bat%20Bus%20/Img_0011.jpg[/IMG] Dan was the team. There was a separation between the engine compartment and driver. Agreed, it was scary to drive, but hey, I didn't make it to be on the street. I had such a good time anyway, I have been scheming to go back ever since. Dan

OK, my apologies. I was pretty sure I didn't see it.

-SVreX

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/4/08 12:19 p.m.
evildky wrote: no doubt the batvan was call as hell but I'd be afraid to drive it and I am stupid

I would have climbed my fat azz in the drivers' seat in a split second. That would have been so cool, to be able to say I drove the famous BatVan.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/4/08 12:33 p.m.

You can have it if you want. It hasn't moved in years....

And I don't think GRM is thick enough for a Senecal - Nelson inspired BatVan. THAT's scary!

JmfnB
11/4/08 12:38 p.m.

Like an ICBM... Goes really fast then goes BOOM!

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/08 12:45 p.m.

i can has batvan now?

that thing was sweet.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
11/4/08 1:47 p.m.

Yes. You can has it. I pulled the motor & tranny, the posi rear end but left the guy another rear end. It's sitting in a parking lot on the ground (frame) but he has all the stuff including wheels & tires to make it roll away.

It's a VW shop that was going to make a mailbox out of it....

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
11/4/08 1:54 p.m.

How about small 2wd SUVs like Blazer, Jeep, etc?

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/4/08 3:17 p.m.

Vehicle must meet SCCA and Nasa autocross rules.

That is generally a judgement call on the part of the track officials. They are looking for high rollover risk. Several cars are specifically excluded, like the Suzuki Samurai.

stan_d
stan_d Dork
11/4/08 4:26 p.m.

so a slammed full size would be ok then

JmfnB
11/4/08 4:34 p.m.

Triple yes Stan.

David_Chong
David_Chong New Reader
11/10/08 7:32 p.m.

There is a Datsun pickup entered into the 2009 West Coast Challenge, in the $1000 class. Project log is at this link.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/10/08 8:21 p.m.

Man-look at all that width for posts on that forum

miatame2
miatame2 New Reader
11/11/08 3:01 p.m.
David_Chong wrote: There is a Datsun pickup entered into the 2009 West Coast Challenge, in the $1000 class. Project log is at this link.

That forum is lame...they limit how many pages you can look at without being a member...booooo!

Mental
Mental SuperDork
11/11/08 10:53 p.m.

So join, they are good dudes over there

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UyzxYFupvkDyzN1klonnXlbXMCmp4BH8NOnGq8tSWbQOhDJ09zT2sAkWwg1Vulsg