jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
11/17/08 7:43 a.m.

If I buy a car that needs a windshield (due to being cracked) do I have to include the cost of the glass in the budget?

How about replacing aftermarket parts already on the car? For example, a Koni shock that is no good.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/17/08 7:57 a.m.

If the part was broken when you bought the vehicle you need to count it against your budget. If the glass broke after you bought the vehicle, replacement shouldn't count against the budget. The Koni replacement would count.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
11/17/08 9:25 a.m.

Yea, those would both have to be counted.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
11/17/08 9:58 a.m.

That's what I was afraid of.

Pat
Pat New Reader
11/19/08 11:32 a.m.

This may sound petty, but I'm looking for every buck I can come up with for next year...what about what I call tool consumables? Things like sanding disks, sand paper, abrasives, etc. I'm guessing no since you wouldn't assign a value to welding wire/gas, etc.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
11/19/08 12:52 p.m.

Actually, I think quite a few people include an amount for consumables.

I usually leave them out, but I always include a reasonable "misc. expenses" line- to cover stuff like consumables, bolts pick up of the floor in my shop, or just a stupid moment when I forget to include something.

It also gives me a small amount of flexibility in case I get caught on something in tech.

poopshovel
poopshovel Dork
11/19/08 2:54 p.m.

I've been told multiple times: "Not on the car = not in the budget." Therefore, we've never inlcuded sanding pads, painters tape, etc. Bondo, yes. Paint, yes. Clearcoat, yes. What exactly is "no good" about the Koni? "Misc." bolts, fasteners, zipties, yes.

Swing over my way (north georgia) sometime, and I'll sell you some plexiglas...if not Lexan for a dollar. If you don't feel like coming all the way to georgia, go to a local, independently owned Custom Picture Framing shop. See if they've got some scraps/scratched plexiglas (acrylic.) It won't last for a million years, but it'll last long enough for 5 autox runs and a couple of drag passes.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kGAix8G9BwDJYE23StS9fazoTQM0sgOt20rXqT3qCh2dB8t2tR6sNIm33FuMhQh2