1 2 3 4
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
2/4/10 12:58 p.m.
Are you excited yet? I just got a woody talking about it.

I get a woody just hearing your voice in my head talking about it. And the 4G-powered mini is almost too much to take. Oh god! I think my pants are tearing!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/10 1:07 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Are you excited yet? I just got a woody talking about it.
I get a woody just hearing your voice in my head talking about it. And the 4G-powered mini is almost too much to take. Oh god! I think my pants are tearing!

That was probably the "Burrito el Diablo" you had for lunch.

angusmf
angusmf New Reader
2/4/10 2:27 p.m.

It seems that 80s Volvo diesels have a transmission that bolts up to a 5 cyl Audi. Funky.

There is also a $400 kit that will adapt a VW four cyl to a 22r transmission. There's no dirt cheap VW motor that will make the power, though, so that's a total loser.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/4/10 2:47 p.m.

vr6 PLUS TURBOEZ yo!

RossD
RossD Dork
2/4/10 3:31 p.m.
angusmf
angusmf New Reader
2/8/10 10:12 a.m.
angusmf wrote: It seems that 80s Volvo diesels have a transmission that bolts up to a 5 cyl Audi. Funky.

So I got pretty curious about this. There's very little information about the Volvo diesels that I could find, and they're pretty rare. I couldn't find out if the Volvo flywheel would bolt to the Audi crank. I did find out that the m46 transmission is not particularly strong. By the time you adapt another transmission to the Volvo bellhousing, it's not worth it. So I think I'm easing away from that, even though it's pretty intriguing. It did get me interested in the Audi powerplants, though.

The I-5 turbo is not a great engine. It's two-valve, and comes with kkk turbos, which are pretty ancient and inefficient. BUT, they are cheap-as-free. A quick CL search will find you a complete running 5000 turbo quattro for $500, and 200 turbo quattro for $750 OBO. So right there I'd get an engine with all the stuff to make it run, suspension with HUGE brakes, and an electronically locking rear diff with IRS. It might be better to get the lighter running gear from a 4000/80/90 to use with the turbo quattro engine and rear diff (assuming it to be stronger.) It would also donate a head with 40mm intake valves for more powah. A nitrous setup of some kind would shore things up on the drag strip.

Unfortunately, there isn't room to fit the whole quattro setup in the front of a Rabbit without moving the wheels back somehow or sticking the engine out the front of the car. Although that would look pretty kickass. But all it takes to make a Quattro transaxle RWD is to lock the center diff and not connect anything to the front diff. It's overly heavy, but simple and strong.

The same approach could be taken with other Audis. The 1.8ts are way over-priced, but early v6 and v8 donors might be possible. With no CIS to work around, the $100 Megasquirt I just bought (including stim and relay boards that I don't need) would be very useful.

---edit---

I did some measuring, and there is 30" of engine swallowing space between the farthest part of the firewall, and back of the radiator. Neat.

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
6/25/16 7:44 p.m.

Ressurecting a zombie thread for (my)reading pleasure

Edit: while still fun, not what I was looking for. I was looking for info on the Isuzu 3.2/3.5 V6.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/25/16 8:23 p.m.

In reply to angusmf:

Audi I5 + Audi 2.7tt bell housing spacer + Porsche 924 bell housing + 944 torque tube and transaxle (for the strength and easier clutch compatibility) = RWD with great balance and no need for a large transmission tunnel.

Some details on the swap into a 944:

Http://944-20v.nl

wheelsmithy
wheelsmithy GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/4/16 11:32 a.m.

http://thinking of you guys (IsuzuV6)

Found some stuff. Better than I remembered. Hopefully the link works.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/4/16 12:33 p.m.
P71 wrote: 5.3 LS truck motor. Same weight as the VQ when you score an alloy block and 300HP stock. Slap on a carb or LS1 car intake, a hot cam, and a set of headers and you're looking at 400HP on 87 swill. LKQ sells em at $500 and you can often find $100 off coupons.

Is the ironblock the same weight as the VQ or the aluminum version?

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
7/4/16 2:09 p.m.

I keep seeing Audi A8s and Lexus ls400s around here for under $1000. The Audi v8 is pretty compact, like18" long.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/4/16 4:03 p.m.

I have been looking at the Audi 1.8 turbo motors.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
7/4/16 5:04 p.m.

GM 3.4 or 3.9 60 degree V6 is hard to ignore when cheap and fit are at the top of the requirements list.

If it has to be V8 then the ford 302 is the cheap option.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
7/5/16 2:34 p.m.

I had a 2.8L/700r4 from a camaro that I couldn't sell for $50 so I gave it away.

Buick 3.8 comes to mind as cheap, small, and good aftermarket.

angusmf
angusmf Reader
3/16/17 9:36 a.m.
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: In reply to angusmf: Audi I5 + Audi 2.7tt bell housing spacer + Porsche 924 bell housing + 944 torque tube and transaxle (for the strength and easier clutch compatibility) = RWD with great balance and no need for a large transmission tunnel. Some details on the swap into a 944: Http://944-20v.nl

I wish that website still worked. Looks like a relatively common swap in the 924/944. Makes a lot of sense. I actually don't own a Rabbit (or any car!) at the moment, but my girl has always wanted a "Jake Ryan Porsche" and doesn't blink when I talk about engine swaps.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
3/16/17 10:59 a.m.
RossD wrote: VW turbo diesel to samurai trans or 'yota trans

Dang, I was gonna say that!

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/16/17 11:39 a.m.
angusmf wrote:
Stefan (Not Bruce) wrote: In reply to angusmf: Audi I5 + Audi 2.7tt bell housing spacer + Porsche 924 bell housing + 944 torque tube and transaxle (for the strength and easier clutch compatibility) = RWD with great balance and no need for a large transmission tunnel. Some details on the swap into a 944: Http://944-20v.nl
I wish that website still worked. Looks like a relatively common swap in the 924/944. Makes a lot of sense. I actually don't own a Rabbit (or any car!) at the moment, but my girl has always wanted a "Jake Ryan Porsche" and doesn't blink when I talk about engine swaps.

Yeah, it sucks that he took it down :/

That said, the trick part is just that he used an Audi V6TT bellhousing spacer to mount the engine to the 924 Turbo bellhousing with the stock Audi 20V clutch, Pressure Plate and flywheel. The spacer part number is: 01E103551C and the 924 Turbo/931 bellhousing is a bit harder to find.

The intake was modified to use the stock 944 throttle body but a stock one could be used with the proper throttle cable adapted.

Motor mounts were Audi units fitted to custom brackets to match the frame/cross member mounting points.

The exhaust manifold is the tricky bit since the stock piece doesn't fit apparently, so you get to roll your own. I doubt a turbo manifold would fit either, but I've not tried yet.

Electronics were stock Audi donor bits, but MegaSquirt could be used to control a 5-cylinder with a bit of work that is well documented (here and elsewhere).

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
3/16/17 11:58 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: Put it in the bed, behind the driver. Get any front drive powertrain complete and make it a middy. My choice would be any of the ZQ series Nissan motors from a Maxima or Altima, but whatever floats your boat. Use the front end for the fuel cell and battery and junk. It's probably simpler than you think, and certainly cheaper.

This, go get a wrecked V6 FWD whatever, drop the loaded subframe out, narrow it appropriately if necessary, and put it in the bed.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
3/16/17 2:05 p.m.

In reply to BrokenYugo:

How would you keep the front wheels (now rear wheels) from turning? Is there a science to disconnecting the steering rack and like... welding... the steering knuckles in place?

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
3/16/17 2:15 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

Add brackets in place of the rack for the inner tie rods to bolt to.

This is a how GM did it on the Fiero.

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
3/23/17 6:32 p.m.

I know when "Turbo MoPar" is discussed, everyone talks about the lack of parts availability for the 2.2/2.5. But what about the 2.4? Turbo PT Cruisers are dirty cheap. I picked one up, complete and running for $700. The wheels, tires and power/heated leather seats will recoup most, if not all of that.

PT/GT (or any PT turbo) to 03-04 Jeep Liberty\TJ 2.4L bellhousing to R154= WIN.

That is the setup I have been thinking about lately in a Plymouth Arrow/Mitsu Celeste even though I have plenty of MoPar V8s hanging around the shop. Dressed, the engine is about 350lb, which is about 200lb lighter than a 360 or a SBC. The R154 is the toughest part of the equation, and you're going to need some Magic Beans to find one of those cheap.

minivan_racer
minivan_racer UltraDork
3/23/17 6:43 p.m.

In reply to Cooter:

Sky/Solstice MA5 will also work.

Cooter
Cooter HalfDork
3/23/17 7:06 p.m.

In reply to minivan_racer:

Thanks for that, but I'm still a bit away from an Arrow. Hard to find one that is decent/cheap/not already a drag car. This drivetrain is for one of my K-wagons. Everyone keeps telling me to swap the T&C, but my heart says Aries K.

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
3/23/17 8:15 p.m.

You know I didn't need to know there was a rwd 2.4 possibility.

My want for a boosted 4 banger in an A body of some sort is getting more and more dangerous.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 PowerDork
3/23/17 8:32 p.m.

In reply to Grizz:

Tberes a guy over on fabo that has a nasty 2.4 turbo motor piwered early valiant.....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iWlHzjaLbcQaECkvKGkNJW2D5wZTV0OVvAzeQiW7oGD4FLGRcjPKVDeedW08SFYB