1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23
Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/21/17 8:35 p.m.

Hopeful car rolled outside today and is so gloriously excessive that words can't describe.

Backup car is undergoing minor surgery and i found my budget space to go faster.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
6/21/17 8:45 p.m.

I should be going to the initial autocross this weekend. Instead ill be cutting up trees that fell in the storm today.

Dammit.....

B13Birk
B13Birk GRM+ Memberand New Reader
6/21/17 9:04 p.m.

I'll be there. First year participating, i have wanted to build and race a car for the challenge since the beginning. We will be brining a mostly stock Infiniti G20. This car will hopefully see it's full potential in 2018. Im looking forward to meeting all the challenge greats.

Here is the link for the build thread.

On a side note. Maybe an evolutionary step for the GRM Challenge is to move from autoX to an actual track The Firm is 20 min down the road from GIR. May up the stakes for some folks. Just my 2cents. I like autoX but a track would be sick time attack style.

Here is the link to the track.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
6/21/17 9:10 p.m.

In reply to B13Birk:

welcome to the mayhem.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/21/17 9:24 p.m.

In reply to B13Birk:

I, too, prefer a track to autoX. I suspect may be too much liability for $20xx format.

That being said the AX is usually wide open smooth course that let's you stretch cars legs.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/21/17 9:27 p.m.

In reply to Ovid_and_Flem:

Unless your trans prefers 1st gear.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
6/21/17 9:30 p.m.
Stampie wrote: In reply to Ovid_and_Flem: Unless your trans prefers 1st gear.

Or that mystery gear between first and second.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/3/17 7:48 a.m.

Zip Tie - Check

Challenge Focus to be engaged within the hour!

108 days to go.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/3/17 8:12 a.m.

wheels777 wrote:

Challenge Focus to be engaged within the hour!

108 days to go.

SBC in a Focus? Should be awesome!

Patrick
7/3/17 8:13 a.m.
wheels777 wrote: Zip Tie - Check Challenge Focus to be engaged within the hour! 108 days to go.

Wait you're building a Focus?

If I can't get anything working under budget I'm thinking the most v8 rwd luxury car with limited slip i can find for $1500, remove mufflers, slicks, 100 shot, done.

If I can't bring datsun it's going to be fun going with zero hope of winning just to go, might recharge the batteries to get the nuclear warhead done for $2018

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
7/3/17 8:23 a.m.

Sent in our event registration last week to muster up motivation in the midst of all this sucky rainy weather over past 2 months in deep south.

John Welsh
John Welsh MegaDork
7/3/17 8:26 a.m.
Patrick wrote: If I can't get anything working under budget I'm thinking the most v8 rwd luxury car with limited slip i can find for $1500, remove mufflers, slicks, 100 shot, done.

I know you're more of a GM guy but the easy answer on this is a Lincoln Mark 8.
Find on that has already had the airbag suspension replaced with coil springs.

Patrick
7/3/17 9:07 a.m.

This may be the opportunity to scratch the Lincoln ls itch I've had. Found one for 1500 with new trans and starter, and was watching videos of one at the strip with nitrous on youtube. Later model gm stuff is just engine donors to me.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/3/17 9:36 a.m.
Patrick wrote:
wheels777 wrote: Zip Tie - Check Challenge Focus to be engaged within the hour! 108 days to go.
Wait you're building a Focus? If I can't get anything working under budget I'm thinking the most v8 rwd luxury car with limited slip i can find for $1500, remove mufflers, slicks, 100 shot, done. If I can't bring datsun it's going to be fun going with zero hope of winning just to go, might recharge the batteries to get the nuclear warhead done for $2018

SR74 is still being pursued and runs.

R5D7 may become a $2018 project, may decide to pull the plug today. We want to go for the overall. Detailing and testing start to overlap.

But we have plans for a substitute second car being formulated today.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
7/3/17 9:36 a.m.
Patrick wrote: This may be the opportunity to scratch the Lincoln ls itch I've had. Found one for 1500 with new trans and starter, and was watching videos of one at the strip with nitrous on youtube. Later model gm stuff is just engine donors to me.

It's the easy ticket I'm not willing to do but I know I'm missing the boat.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/3/17 2:55 p.m.

No progress in the last few weeks. Hoping to get back in gear, or I will be coming down to FL a few days early to buy something down there, and prep it in the hotel parking lot.

Patrick
7/3/17 3:11 p.m.
wheels777 wrote:
Patrick wrote:
Wait you're building a Focus? If I can't get anything working under budget I'm thinking the most v8 rwd luxury car with limited slip i can find for $1500, remove mufflers, slicks, 100 shot, done. If I can't bring datsun it's going to be fun going with zero hope of winning just to go, might recharge the batteries to get the nuclear warhead done for $2018
SR74 is still being pursued and runs. R5D7 may become a $2018 project, may decide to pull the plug today. We want to go for the overall. Detailing and testing start to overlap. But we have plans for a substitute second car being formulated today.

You have enough new welders, I want the overall next year!

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/3/17 3:13 p.m.

I might be changing horses midstream.....

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/3/17 3:38 p.m.
eastsidemav wrote: No progress in the last few weeks. Hoping to get back in gear, or I will be coming down to FL a few days early to buy something down there, and prep it in the hotel parking lot.

Yeah, same here unfortunately. I hope once the show this weekend is done I'll be able to get more on track- at the moment I'm just so worn down with things to deal with for it that the rest of the work on the car seems so daunting.

It doesn't help that there's a relatively cheap RX-8 up in NKY that is VERY tempting to pick up to try and swap something into after pulling its engine for the DMC- but that would almost certainly be MORE work than the Riv would be (though I'd likely to pretty much nothing but swap the engine in and get it working and trust the RX-8's inherent handling abilities).

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/17 9:57 a.m.
eastsidemav wrote: No progress in the last few weeks. Hoping to get back in gear, or I will be coming down to FL a few days early to buy something down there, and prep it in the hotel parking lot.

I say if we're not able to get the S-10 & Riv done, we find a turbo kit and snag a Dodge Rampage on the drive down and do a parking lot build of it!

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/13/17 9:59 a.m.

I'm starting to wonder if my transmission or my temper will survive the drive down.

I'm definitely packing the title with me just in case.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
7/13/17 10:21 a.m.

We are going racing this weekend. Time to test out the new car.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
7/13/17 10:59 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13: Yeah Baby.

eastsidemav
eastsidemav SuperDork
7/13/17 3:50 p.m.
Ashyukun wrote:
I say if we're not able to get the S-10 & Riv done, we find a turbo kit and snag a Dodge Rampage on the drive down and do a parking lot build of it!

No thank you . If I buy something down there, the only "build" work I'll be doing is washing and waxing it.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
7/14/17 4:36 a.m.

97 days to go......

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 23

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bILKNLIDRw29HQOuEsvcSZWt1XLCdxjp0ttBmIdnj9WLn0UHpMvClyPWt2lk442z