1 2
Pat
Pat Reader
10/12/11 5:41 p.m.

Hey Guys...had a few people ask me in Gainesville if I had done a build thread on the car. I've sort of kept up with a build thread on turbo-mopar.com from when I first started working on the car in June '10. It's pretty long and filled with a lot of banter, but in case anyone is interested in checking it out, here it is.

http://www.turbo-mopar.com/forums/showthread.php?51514-Pat-s-GRM-ScAries!

Great time at the Challenge once again...thanks to the GRM staff and fellow challengers for a good time. But I'm defintely not thanking Mother Nature....

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
10/12/11 6:02 p.m.

Thanks for wasting the few dozen hours of my life....

johnnytorque
johnnytorque New Reader
10/12/11 6:30 p.m.

Great build. Love this car. This is what a realistic challenge car should be.

Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam SuperDork
10/12/11 7:10 p.m.

I stand corrected, there is such a thing as a cool K car.

But only because it has a FMIC the size of Rhode Island.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
10/13/11 12:28 a.m.

You would be amazed at the size of some intercoolers that have ended up in k-cars.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
10/13/11 4:29 a.m.
johnnytorque wrote: Great build. Love this car. This is what a realistic challenge car should be.

+1

The car looked great...visually, one of the best packages this year. I loved the fender flares and the fabrication technique for them...very similar to the method I used on the grill shell for the datsun replica

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
10/13/11 6:24 a.m.

So, what does the "Sc" in scaries mean?

Pat
Pat Reader
10/13/11 7:14 a.m.
DrBoost wrote: So, what does the "Sc" in scaries mean?

Actually, nothing. When I first bought it, we jokingly called it the Scary Aries, which eventually got shortened to ScAries.

Raze
Raze SuperDork
10/13/11 8:23 a.m.

just went through the build thread, awesome dude, and for serious - box flares make everything better

spin_out
spin_out Reader
10/13/11 9:15 a.m.

Double Springs up front? Wow!! I've never seen that before.

I should have hung out while you were being judged. Great job.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/11 9:25 a.m.

I didn't get a chance to talk much with you guys, but what an incredible build. Fantastic work!

bc
bc New Reader
10/13/11 10:28 a.m.

In reply to Twin_Cam: That would be three small factory ChryCo intercoolers welded together with fabricated end tanks - not just one big eBay IC.

bc

bc
bc New Reader
10/13/11 10:33 a.m.

In reply to Pat: Plus, it has the same number of letters as the "Stratus" on the Stratus NATCC race cars. Even starts and ends with an "s" too.

bc

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/13/11 10:42 a.m.

Now I am thinking RWD mopar turbo for the Malibu.

I wonder if I can get it done using only junkyard parts.....

What motor?....

What tranny?.....

Hmmmm.....

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
10/13/11 11:57 a.m.

The only thing cooler than this car is the crew who came to the Challenge with it. A great bunch of guys (and gal) to be sure.

Per Schroeder
Per Schroeder Technical Editor/Advertising Director
10/13/11 12:06 p.m.

Very cool!

Pat
Pat Reader
10/13/11 12:57 p.m.
hrdlydangerous wrote: The only thing cooler than this car is the crew who came to the Challenge with it. A great bunch of guys (and gal) to be sure.

Right back at ya Matt! Had a great time racing with you guys. Interested in going to Cecil County Dragway on 11/12?

And to everyone...thanks for the compliments. The car has been a blast for all of us to build, race and mess around with. Honestly, it's kind of amazed me how much attention this thing has had. Every event, drag or autocross I've taken it to, it's been a hit. It's also been able to take a beating without complaint...a quality trait in a car that I intend on beating as much as possible.

Unfortunately for my unbelievably patient (and if she's reading this, smart, beautiful, caring) wife, all of this means that the original plan of the car leaving the Culkin garage whole or in pieces has been modified a bit.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
10/13/11 2:21 p.m.

Pat, I'd love to be able to run a few match races with you But Saturdays off in the car business are few and far between. Let me know if there's an event on a Friday or a Sunday.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
10/13/11 3:49 p.m.

Words can't express how awesome you and your car are, Pat. Dittos for the rest of the crew. Really enjoyed talking with you guys at the track. The flares were absolute genius!!! Way to think outside the box!

donalson
donalson SuperDork
10/13/11 4:02 p.m.

still reading though the awesome build thread...

awesomeness :)... makes me want to up the game on the s10... lol

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/13/11 5:24 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Now I am thinking RWD mopar turbo for the Malibu. I wonder if I can get it done using only junkyard parts..... What motor?.... What tranny?..... Hmmmm.....

Dakota 2.5 bellhousing - AX-15 + Toyota R-154 5-speed. Add 2.5L turbo SOHC motor and have fun.

Pat
Pat Reader
11/12/11 6:05 p.m.

Just got back from running the car at Cecil County Dragway. Exactly as it was at the challenge, with a smaller plug gap to solve the breaking up that got me down in Florida, it ran an 11.01 @ 125.12 with a 1.72 short time despite a slightly bogged launch.

Of course, I wanted the 10.99 so back out I went with a bit more ooomph. Hammered the launch to a 1.66 ST, which meant I was off to a good start...unfortunately, it ended with a popped headgasket and me rolling the last few hundred feet. Tired and not feeling terribly motivated to swap a headgasket in the pits, I decided to call the season done.

So close...

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
11/12/11 6:16 p.m.

Good time. Sorry about the end...

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
11/12/11 7:28 p.m.

Damn. 11.01 must hurt so good!!!

Vigo
Vigo Dork
11/12/11 9:14 p.m.

Pat's SECOND 10-second k-car (that im aware of), coming soon!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kS3yVmECQXmD8BEWVk87wy1JvawHRiRXWftusts6tNbSkqzWBIUg0zUXBVD6WWvM