captainawesome
captainawesome New Reader
9/8/18 10:56 a.m.

https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/70250/10002/-1

For $44.99 each I can have two seats for a challenge car at a price I can't really find anything competitive with that could use 4 or 5 point harness. Are these even remotely decent seats for autocross? I see them mostly as buggy seats, but at 13 lbs. each that helps me drop a considerable amount of weight. There are some inexpensive fixed back upholstered seats for $132.99 which is a good deal, but the weight is 33 lbs. each. https://www.jegs.com/i/JEGS/555/702110/10002/-1

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem SuperDork
9/8/18 11:12 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

Surprisingly good reviews for an inexpensive product.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/18 11:25 a.m.

Summit’s version part number sum-g2100 is $39.99

kazoospec
kazoospec UltraDork
9/8/18 11:32 a.m.

For that price, its tempting for a driving sim rig.

captainawesome
9/8/18 3:08 p.m.
Patrick said:

Summit’s version part number sum-g2100 is $39.99

Unfortunately Summit charges shipping on larger items like seats, so it incurs $20 in extra fees. Jegs will ship these if I buy something else that puts me over $99.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
9/8/18 5:39 p.m.

They do a decent job of holding you in place, but surprisingly uncomfortable. I had one with just a lap belt in my $2015 Lexus. 

captainawesome
9/8/18 6:01 p.m.
Andy Neuman said:

They do a decent job of holding you in place, but surprisingly uncomfortable. 

Do you think a few pieces of closed cell foam would reduce the discomfort?

buzzboy
buzzboy Reader
9/8/18 6:47 p.m.

We've got one as the passenger seat in a 1967 Kaiser M715. It's not great, especially with how bumpy that ride is

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/8/18 8:40 p.m.

Bummer on shipping, summit is under 35 miles away so never bothered checking that

mainlandboy
mainlandboy Reader
9/8/18 8:49 p.m.
captainawesome said:
Andy Neuman said:

They do a decent job of holding you in place, but surprisingly uncomfortable. 

Do you think a few pieces of closed cell foam would reduce the discomfort?

I had a set of the RCI poly high back seats in my Locost, but also had the optional covers on them. With the covers on, I found them pretty comfortable:

https://www.rciracing.com/seatscovers.html

captainawesome
9/8/18 10:04 p.m.

It sounds like they should do the job that I need them to do. Challenge budget, light weight, and if they are too uncomfortable I can purchase a cover for little money.

Flat_Black13z
Flat_Black13z New Reader
9/9/18 5:16 a.m.

Used aluminum circle track seats at a swap meet. Might be hard to find two matching ones though 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/9/18 5:57 a.m.

Are these even remotely decent seats for autocross?

Abso berkeleying lutely not. That’s a “drag” seat. Your stock seats probably have way more support and won’t break your back. We ran one in our first challenger for one autocross. Like sitting in a moving Waffle House booth. I’d find a cheap used kirkey or something.

captainawesome
9/9/18 8:31 a.m.
poopshovel again said:

Are these even remotely decent seats for autocross?

Abso berkeleying lutely not. That’s a “drag” seat. Your stock seats probably have way more support and won’t break your back. We ran one in our first challenger for one autocross. Like sitting in a moving Waffle House booth. I’d find a cheap used kirkey or something.

I wonder if a thin layer of closed cell foam would stop the sliding around?

I see a few of Kirkey seats that pop up locally that potentially meet Challenge budget, but they are usually the bottom priced drag seat. Do the drag seats provide any more bolstering in the end?

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
9/10/18 5:45 a.m.

In reply to captainawesome :

There is basically zero bolstering for the entire top half of your body on the plastic ones. I know the weight is appealing, but I can almost promise you’re throwing $ away. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
HaTXjamiFwIXpb8GvU6X8MgmtAt6YJHSoUGukW1hUKlzIgj3hCX1Kp5xQMZcjPRD