problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
9/26/08 4:05 p.m.

In a rainy autocross situation, would i be better off with bald BFG G-force R1s, or old Toyo V-rated street tires with full tread? Basically wondering if i should bring the street tires to FL.

My initial thought would be that the street tires would be best in heavy rain, but at the '02 Challenge i saw lots of ppl running pretty good times on R-tires while in 3 inches of water....

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
9/26/08 4:07 p.m.

is space a problem? If not, why not bring them to be on the safe side and you can try both if needed.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
9/26/08 4:15 p.m.

We're planning on using the street tires, Hankook Ventus HRii's if it rains. Like blue said, if you have space bring both.

Is budget a problem?

16vCorey
16vCorey Dork
9/26/08 4:21 p.m.

I wouldn't think it would be, since if it's not on the car it wouldn't count in the budget. Hypothetically you could bring 30 sets of tires with you, but only count the set you use during the Challenge.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/26/08 4:44 p.m.

BUT if you change tires AT the challenge be prepared to account for each set on car at the challenge.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce Reader
9/26/08 4:54 p.m.

That's what I was saying, if we use both, we're gonna put both in the budget. I didn't know if problemaddict had enough room for both in his budget.

mw
mw New Reader
9/26/08 5:54 p.m.

I would bet that the R's will still be faster. At a very rainy (could harldy see) autox about a month ago, I was running an older set of 710's. I switched for my last two laps to street tires that had big v grooves in them. It added about 4 seconds to my times. The only thing that would likely be faster is rain R's.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/26/08 7:34 p.m.

These responses are very illogical.

Tread should always be a good thing in the rain.

I've watched guys get cut out of cars they wrapped around trees riding slicks in the rain.

njansenv
njansenv New Reader
9/26/08 8:25 p.m.

Generally, I think it depends if there is standing water on the course or not. If not, rubber compound still has a tremendous influence on available grip.
(EG: I found the even fairly worn Azenis had loads of wet road grip compared to newish "long wearing" Michelins, but the Azenis WOULD hydroplane in puddles...)

Nathan

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
9/26/08 10:31 p.m.

IF there's rain, there's standing water.

FL during hurricane season.

problemaddict
problemaddict New Reader
9/27/08 6:01 a.m.
SVreX wrote: These responses are very illogical.

It does seem illogical, but with my rather untrained eye, i've seen cars race in heavy rain on R compounds that look like they've still got LOTS of grip compared to the street tire cars.

I figured some ppl here may have some experiences with a/b'ing them or if there was a general autox community consensus.

I've probably got the room to take both sets, anyway. Oh and these are the tires that came w/ the car, so they are included in the budget w/ the initial price of the car...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
sQHjsB7tqtWv3Bu7tkeYiTULpwg1Z7QtWkoZdVpEjYB4vqFqup4lVXoDX91VLhVl