1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 44
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
7/19/17 1:33 p.m.

You can absolutely spend way more on a parts car than on your Challenge car. No problem there. If you spend $1900 on your parts car, you could recoup up to the recoup limit on it, which would be $1008-ish.

Tom Suddard
7/19/17 1:36 p.m.

In reply to Ranger50:

Regarding exhaust, here:

NHRA Rules: said: NHRA Rules said: All vehicles must be equipped with exhaust collectors, headers, or stacks installed to direct exhaust out of vehicle body to rear of car, away from driver and fuel tank. No part of the exhaust system may be routed through the driver’s compartment. Exhaust system components must be securely fastened (i.e., metal connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of system components during competition. All removable multipiece exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either an NHRA-accepted header tether, a minimum 1/2'' (half-inch) stitch weld located on each primary tube, or be permanently attached to the vehicle body or frame with positive fasteners (i.e., exhaust hangers, support brackets, bolts/nuts, etc.) such that they require tools for removal. A current list of NHRA-accepted header tethers is available on NHRARacer.com. Flexible tubing or “flex pipe” prohibited in all categories. If mufflers are used, they must be securely attached to exhaust system and vehicle body or frame.

What exactly do you have planned for exhaust?

If he offered it to anyone publicly, then it's free. If he didn't, then it's FMV.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
7/19/17 7:39 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Bullhorns.

Something similar.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/20/17 7:27 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: In reply to Ranger50: Regarding exhaust, here:
NHRA Rules: said: NHRA Rules said: All vehicles must be equipped with exhaust collectors, headers, or stacks installed to direct exhaust out of vehicle body to rear of car, away from driver and fuel tank. No part of the exhaust system may be routed through the driver’s compartment. Exhaust system components must be securely fastened (i.e., metal connector straps, bolted, welded, etc.) to prevent loss of system components during competition. All removable multipiece exhaust collectors/stacks must be securely fastened with either an NHRA-accepted header tether, a minimum 1/2'' (half-inch) stitch weld located on each primary tube, or be permanently attached to the vehicle body or frame with positive fasteners (i.e., exhaust hangers, support brackets, bolts/nuts, etc.) such that they require tools for removal. A current list of NHRA-accepted header tethers is available on NHRARacer.com. Flexible tubing or “flex pipe” prohibited in all categories. If mufflers are used, they must be securely attached to exhaust system and vehicle body or frame.
What exactly do you have planned for exhaust? If he offered it to anyone publicly, then it's free. If he didn't, then it's FMV.

I've offered it free on forum before as well as to people in person, he's the first sucker- i mean guy- to take away something i had no use for. It's a $0 transmission. I'd have given it to anyone who walked through my garage door. It was so hard to sell my last one for recoup $ that i literally wanted nothing to do with this one.

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
7/22/17 1:29 p.m.

Ranger50 the 4cyl guy version of that exhaust routing was disallowed when I asked with the same passage of the NHRA book quoted I still don't see where the NHRA book is disallowing it and I've seen many a drag car set up like that. Perhaps your photo will help both of us.

If not a parts store that will not be named ( I work for its main competitor) was throwing out sticks of 3" and 3.5" exhaust tubing recently I was able to purchase about 14' of pipe for $0.40/foot I lost about 6" on either end where both sticks were damaged. Maybe make some visits to your local wholesale focused parts houses.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/2/17 12:18 p.m.

Bought a car for the cost of gas to deliver it and taking the guy out to dinner. (spitfire with no engine, no interior, and some rust... field car condition)

how do I account for that? Just the cost of his dinner? Or is this a FMV type deal?

I do have a local ad for spit with an interior and two engines for $300 as a comparison.

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/2/17 12:21 p.m.

Would he have sold it to anyone else for gas and a dinner date?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/2/17 12:24 p.m.

I believe so, but it was not advertised. (word of mouth discovery)

Tom Suddard
8/2/17 1:06 p.m.

I'd say your budget impact is gas and a dinner date.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/5/17 11:01 a.m.

If I spent $81 on a gallon of paint because they only sell gallons, but the car is so small that i used less than a quart can I prorate the price to $20.25 for a quart? Trying to squeeze a few concours related items into the budget

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
8/5/17 11:25 a.m.

You Know It Depends on the Color.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/5/17 11:57 a.m.

Hmm...

I would say pro rate. After all, if you have to buy a pack of adel clamps for 1, you count the single price.

spin_out
spin_out HalfDork
8/8/17 10:37 a.m.

Tom, Any Valve Cover Racing this year? I was planning to bring 4 cars and share. Last year people brought kids, and I lent one out. So I would have some to lend out..... to kids of All ages.

If it helps I'm willing to Judge's Bribe the racer that won the last 2 years in a row, so GRM would have a ringer in stock. :-)

My newest planned racer is "Hooters" themed, but I thought I had better make sure there was an event before building it.

Hooters.

Tom Suddard
8/8/17 12:55 p.m.

Yep, we're valve cover racing this year. Look for details soon.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
8/9/17 2:51 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Cost versus value question? Sitting in my shop are all sorts of parts from left over projects. A lot of Jaguar and MG T series. Most of them were just so much junk and remained simply because I didn't have the time to scrap them.. and by the time I finally cleaned up that room they had too many memories to just toss out..

An example is a set of wheels from the original Chaparral MK 1 traded back in the early sixties for a set of used Jaguar wire wheels. (he tossed in a bell housing for a nailhead Buick to sweeten the deal)

Now if Hap Sharp wanted them no doubt he could pay a pretty penny as could the few wealthy people who also own a Chaparral Mk 1. On the other hand, in the day I would have been thrilled if I got $25 each for the Wire wheels... Yet fair market value to the few who own Chaparrals would alone put me over the budget limits. On the other hand what if none of those people needed another set?

So how do I fairly list those?

If I put MGTD fenders on it and use my set as a pattern for a splash mold.. Do they go in the budget and at what price? Same thing with fair market value, that easily could put me at or near the $2017 limit. I realize the cost of the splash mold and resulting parts should go at the price I paid / pay but the fiberglass matt is remnants of past projects and only the cost of resin and catalyst will be new.. Since I bought the fiberglass back in the sixties and decades ago tossed the receipt I can only guess what a tiny portion of a roll of fiberglass matt cost. Maybe I can claim a senior citizen discount on that?

Tom Suddard
8/9/17 8:54 a.m.

Those wheels need to be added at FMV, and I'm going to take a wild guess and say that's much higher than the Challenge's budget. I wouldn't use those in your build.

The MGTD fenders don't go in the budget, because they won't be on the car during the competition, right? Molds and such don't count: only what goes on the car does.

Andy Neuman
Andy Neuman Dork
8/9/17 10:41 a.m.

Scrap question. Source lets anyone that knows they have scrap use it for free if asked for permission. Not advertised for free and not free to people who are collecting scrap. Place in question gets minimal dollars for the scrap since they throw in low value scrap items into a singular "scrap" dumpster. Some large items get sat by the curb for free but I would essentially have early knowledge/access.

Free to me = free to budget or Free to me = scrap price at their rate

I missed a $110 item in my budget so I'm really trying to be resourceful to make up ground.

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
8/9/17 10:56 a.m.

In reply to Andy Neuman:

I just talked to Tom about this. That would be included in the budget at FMV since it wasn't advertised as free.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
8/11/17 10:26 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard:

Hmmm, no Classic class rules? You do realize Vintage doesn't mean faster, just more unique? I could make splash molds and parts cheap enough to still get under the budget but other than patterns this old combination of Jaguar and MGTD parts can't become a race car?

If I were a publisher (lucky for everyone I'm not,... because I'd be horrible) I'd consider a way that classic cars could enter (Say under Classic Motorsports banner?) without being penalized.. Maybe a fixed value to allow weird old cars without a real pedigree or originality to enter.. Say chassis and body $500 or whatever nominal value older, less desirable, cars typically enter at?
An old Spitfire with a Nissan engine and running gear? An Alfa 1600 with Audi stuff, a BMW 507 with later model motivation? They could have their own class and maybe it would encourage some old parts cars to be resurrected into running moving cars once again instead of sitting in a field someplace waiting to either wither away or some fool with more vision than sense to restore?

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
8/11/17 11:08 a.m.

Frenchyd,If it can help I have rear end hubs for a jag with the Chevy Bolt pattern,but nothing for the front, yours for the asking. I have 6pin fronts that fit a GM spindle (from an E R A Cobra) but I really want to sell the whole Chassie

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/12/17 7:49 p.m.

Do we need to cound welding wire and oil filter in the budget?

Tom Suddard
8/13/17 7:57 a.m.

Yes to oil filter, yes to welding wire, but you can pro-rate that so it's only a buck or two unless your car is literally made of welding wire.

Tom Suddard
8/13/17 8:03 a.m.

In reply to frenchyd:

Sorry, but we can't let classic cars run under different rules. This event is already a little complicated, and I don't want to add an entire sub-event to it. Then you get into the "where is the line" arguement. I'd argue that a 1980 Spitfire is a classic, but a 1980 Mustang is a modern car.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
8/13/17 9:30 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: Yes to oil filter, yes to welding wire, but you can pro-rate that so it's only a buck or two unless your car is literally made of welding wire.

Ill go half price since there was a hell of a lot of welding.

frenchyd
frenchyd HalfDork
8/14/17 9:58 a.m.
GTXVette wrote: Frenchyd,If it can help I have rear end hubs for a jag with the Chevy Bolt pattern,but nothing for the front, yours for the asking. I have 6pin fronts that fit a GM spindle (from an E R A Cobra) but I really want to sell the whole Chassie

Thank you very much for your very kind offer. I do have several sets of Jaguar bolt on hubs and I suppose I can find some cheap bolt on wheels (it takes a Chevy/Corvette wheel) I'd just rather be cool and use up the stuff I have that hasn't been in use since the later950's even if it makes me slower..

1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6lfvS1aXsDzHY0CxVuJe0h6tyHAahjEptbvC0JJLvCnVAMhYOBNioUdCqEqhRPlw