1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 44
SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/18/17 7:01 a.m.

In reply to conev8r :

The short answer is yes, you can recoup that stuff from your budget.

The slightly longer answer is that's probably not the way most experienced Challenge competitors would do it.

If a seller wants to sell a bunch of crap you don't need, you might want to consider asking him for 2 separate receipts so it doesn't hit your recoup budget  

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/18/17 7:23 a.m.

the way it's looking to me, anything that came with the CAR, can be used or sold for recoup, anything that comes in a" closeout " sale that you wish to use must be at either a Fair market value, or you must have a recipt showing cost/ you bought 10 for 100.00 dollars but only use 1, it's 10 bucks but be ready to "Show" that. anything else from that bundle price just got what YOU wanted cheaper and is of NO consenquence,to the challenge,so any sales of the rest of the LOT is just Beer Money

You can't sell anything to your self that you have already bought elsewhere. 

say you sold the engine from the CAR to a friend so you can use the engine in the shop you already have, to me FMV would be the engine on the floor is worth what you got for the engine you sold, but you can use a lessor value engine as long as you have a recipt. 

I sold the engine from my 84 to a man that 2 years later said "I Don't want it just keep it. I would like to say that engine is now FREE to me but that's not the case because I was the only one Privy to this deal. he paid me FMV for it but to be right I must show it at FMV.

I don't belive there is a Donation clause .

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/18/17 9:11 a.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

I know you are partly repeating what I said, but I worded one part of that badly. 

It's not just anything that came with the car, anything that is on a receipt can be recouped.  So a parts car, a pallet of parts, etc can all have recoup associated with them.

Your quantity question is one I don't know the current answer to.  We used to call that the "Zip tie rule"- if you buy a package of zip ties and only use 3, you only bill the budget for 3.  But I am not sure if that is still the interpretation.  I don't think it's a good idea.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/18/17 2:09 p.m.

Ovid, yes, those parts don't need to appear on the spreadsheet at all.

Tom Suddard
9/18/17 2:11 p.m.

SVreX is correct on that last budget question. Thanks!

Tom Suddard
9/18/17 2:13 p.m.

Rick is checking with the track on the helmet rule.

Tom Suddard
9/19/17 10:21 a.m.

Helmets need to be Snell 2010 or newer. 

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/19/17 1:40 p.m.

I'd be shocked if this hadn't already been answered, but I'm not finding it in a search, so here goes:

If you buy parts that come with a rebate, how is that handled in the budget?

The shocks/struts for the Rampage have a promo for a Visa prepaid card- how is that counted? Is it counted like a sell-off in your budget, or just as if it discounted the purchase price of the parts?

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem Dork
9/19/17 6:33 p.m.

In reply to Ashyukun :

Last year I had rebate on shocks.  I just showed actual net cost with note explaining deal.   They accepted the explanation and receipt. I did not count discount towards recoup.

Tom Suddard
9/22/17 6:50 a.m.

Yes, that’s the correct way to do it. 

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
9/22/17 10:12 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Great, thanks!

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
9/22/17 11:33 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

Helmets need to be Snell 2010 or newer. 

Between the NHRA cracked windshield rule and a 2010 helmet the drag racing portion of this fun weekend is beginning to get expensive.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
9/22/17 6:52 p.m.

so the Gas to get there and entry fee is Easy?. A New helmet will last a few years, the windshield can be Lexan,

at our age the helmet could outlast us.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UberDork
9/22/17 8:22 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

My last helmet, an SA2005 Bell, has never been on my head outside of the house. I'll bet it's a better unit than the M2010 I'll show up with.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
9/22/17 11:34 p.m.

Are upgraded wheel studs considered a safety item exempt from hitting the budget?  Nothing wrong with the studs on the car other than I prefer to have more threads than fewer.  I'm not sure it offers any sort of performance gain other than confidence...

What say ye?

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
9/22/17 11:41 p.m.

Another question:  I know it's been discussed that it is possible for one to "trade" with one's self, as long as it's not something crazy unreasonable, like trading a super rare and valuable cup holder for an LS crate engine.  But just to verify and reassure myself:

Is it acceptable to trade with one's self reasonably similarly valued items of relatively equal performance value (i.e a clock for door handles) or of the same type (i.e. blue dash pad for black dash pad)?

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/23/17 8:07 a.m.
darkbuddha said:

Are upgraded wheel studs considered a safety item exempt from hitting the budget?  Nothing wrong with the studs on the car other than I prefer to have more threads than fewer.  I'm not sure it offers any sort of performance gain other than confidence...

What say ye?

No budget hit there.  You can make them titanium if you want, they are there to keep the wheels on the car.  

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/24/17 8:18 p.m.

Does a parachute count towards the budget?  It does not help performance.  

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
9/24/17 8:20 p.m.

The statement had been made one time that if you build a car fast enough to need a roll cage you need to budget for the roll cage. My mind would think the same thing for a parachute. As a related note, holy hell I'm looking forward to watching you run something fast enough to need a parachute.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/24/17 8:27 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

The statement had been made one time that if you build a car fast enough to need a roll cage you need to budget for the roll cage. My mind would think the same thing for a parachute. As a related note, holy hell I'm looking forward to watching you run something fast enough to need a parachute.

Cages add performance, chutes don't.  Don't read too much into the question.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/24/17 8:49 p.m.

In reply to wheels777 :

Argument for argument's sake:  If not dropping the laundry would result in crashing or otherwise damaging the car at the end of your first pass, then i would argue (successfully, no doubt) that the parachute *is* indeed a performance improver because it allowed you to make a second run.  

Non-argumentative explanation:  Parachute = non-OE brakes, and definitely hits the budget.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/24/17 9:05 p.m.

Even simpler explanation- the list of exempt safety items dies not include parachute. (Although I definitely like Angry's "non-OEM brakes" explanation better!!)

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/24/17 9:57 p.m.

Reply to SVreX and AngryCorvair - Thanks for the quick replies.  Owner will have to remove multiple pieces (chute, cable, handle, mounts, etc.) from a car to get the cost out, play for one weekend, then reinstall for the use at events the car was intended.  Your decisions will be taken into consideration, he was expecting that answer.  

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/25/17 7:17 a.m.
wheels777 said:

Reply to SVreX and AngryCorvair - Thanks for the quick replies.  Owner will have to remove multiple pieces (chute, cable, handle, mounts, etc.) from a car to get the cost out, play for one weekend, then reinstall for the use at events the car was intended.  Your decisions will be taken into consideration, he was expecting that answer.  

I personally would hope the powers that be would look the other way on the cables and release mechanism if the chute itself isn't on the car, if it gets the car to the event, as those bits literally serve the purpose of a french fry under the seat if the chute isn't in place.

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
9/25/17 9:24 a.m.
Patrick said:
wheels777 said:

I personally would hope the powers that be would look the other way on the cables and release mechanism if the chute itself isn't on the car, if it gets the car to the event, as those bits literally serve the purpose of a french fry under the seat if the chute isn't in place.

Agreed.  However the Challenge is 3 weeks away and the answer is an answer.  Fortunately for us, our chute ($35 for flea market) was removed and I have the release covered.  I don't need the chute so it was not an issue.

1 ... 13 14 15 16 17 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mr5ULDnTRO7hxZlW4q5KEq7sM0zDKhDWTeNA2T8cqTox2eVq3a8PWRZso8qVPTV6