1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 44
bigben
bigben Reader
10/16/17 11:53 a.m.

So while we are being transparent here... if a laptop and cables are tools and therefore not included in the budget, are tuning tools that you rent also exempt? (Like a chassis Dyno)

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/16/17 11:53 a.m.

Re:Old Racer... I'd suggest eligibility to draw SocialSecurity to be the better bar.  (I'd've said AARP, but I'm under 40 and am already getting signup mailers from them surprise)

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/16/17 12:10 p.m.

Alright then that makes sense, except for brown Hair,  Had I gotten it running and to the Challenge, I was going to ask a bud to drive as a Ringer, and we are the Same age... But he drives a Sport racer SCCA and has driven more recently than Myself (and recently a D-type Jaguar that's Going to Bonneville.)  PS  I have won a Championship Race on asphalt Oval,  He still would have to post a faster Lap.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/16/17 12:18 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thank you for the clarification regarding budget-exempt use of laptop for tuning.  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
10/16/17 12:32 p.m.

In reply to bigben :

No, that's paying for a service, which should be included. Stuff like the canned tune in a Cobb accessport would need to be included, too, because that's labor you paid for.

Tom Suddard
10/16/17 12:33 p.m.

Official age for old guy class is 55.

bigben
bigben Reader
10/16/17 1:05 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thanks, that's the way I would see it too. Just making sure that no loophole was being opened up.

Now if a team were to buy a Dyno and install it in their shop. . .

(I hope we're all to cheap to try that loophole)cheeky

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/16/17 1:07 p.m.

In reply to bigben :

Is it bad that I've considered building my own Dyno?  Redneck style of course. 

Tom Suddard
10/16/17 1:11 p.m.

Go for it (send pics).

Byrneon27
Byrneon27 New Reader
10/16/17 2:02 p.m.

Agreed suckage?

My dd 94 Miata is 37 miles off being due for its 3rd timing belt in life, it's a little rusty, orange paint falling off badly prepped wheels, a total piece. Unfortunately as it was never intended as a challenge car I don't have much in the way of proof. I know I paid $2000 for it beyond that no idea. No particularly trick parts (old Koni STRts and springs, cat back, FM frame rails)

Can we agree that it sucks enough to come play? Primary car isn't ready, backup car no longer has a functional transmission, Craigslist isn't turning up anything cool at the moment.

Also roll bars or arm restraints required in REALLY slow open top cars?

Stampie
10/16/17 2:58 p.m.

Tire swap out in budget because of rain

If a team brings two sets of autocross tires but only uses one based on wetness of track can they amend the budget to reflect that or say claim the more expensive set and just call it good if they use the less expensive set?  This in no way is intended to change or modify the Stampie Rule. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/16/17 3:29 p.m.
Stampie said:

Tire swap out in budget because of rain

If a team brings two sets of autocross tires but only uses one based on wetness of track can they amend the budget to reflect that or say claim the more expensive set and just call it good if they use the less expensive set?  This in no way is intended to change or modify the Stampie Rule. 

Soon we are going to be bringing $2000 worth of 'free' tires to a $2000 car event.

I probably have no business posting opinions here, but my $.02 is that you have to pick your free tires before you register and stick with them. But that means you can watch the weather right up until night before/morning of.

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/16/17 5:24 p.m.

Ya'll be Careful what you wish For.     you will Talk yourselves into TW300 treaded Tires or at least Rain tires for everyone,we don't want that do we.

Stampie
10/16/17 5:29 p.m.

In reply to GTXVette :

Actually I'd be ok with that. Rules are rules and every rule has a loophole. 

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
10/16/17 5:50 p.m.

iS There a keg of beer at  check in  ,  finger sandwiches , coffee and crullers ..   maybe  some  creamers  those fancy  french  irish creme  things ....

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
10/16/17 5:55 p.m.

then what if...................

A.     They have to be new  DOT approved   300 or worse TW

B.      They  Cannot be Shaved

C.      Rim no more than 7 inch's wide, so everyone could find Tires.

D.      Must drag on same tires.

E.       No Juice     

F.        ONLY Four Tires Free Regardless when or where you got them.

FMV for ANY other Tire.

I could make this sound worse if you want.  Actually a real race Rain Tire would be better than Most DOT tire's

Tom Suddard
10/16/17 10:18 p.m.

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Ehhh, this close to the event, sure. That would fall under the letting you run a replacement car for exhibition. Come have some fun. 

Tom Suddard
10/16/17 10:18 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Damn. You found another loophole. 

Yes, you can do that, but make sure to keep us in the loop. 

Tom Suddard
10/16/17 10:19 p.m.

In reply to Karl La Follette :

I love your questions. But I’m not sure I have that answer right now. 

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
10/17/17 4:33 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

In reply to Byrneon27 :

Ehhh, this close to the event, sure. That would fall under the letting you run a replacement car for exhibition. Come have some fun. 

@Tom, but can we show up and compete with a car that isn't the car we originally registered, as long as it still meets budget?  Our original challenge car isn't going to be done, but I'm seriously considering buying something nifty off craigslist to bring instead.

Tom Suddard
10/17/17 6:26 a.m.

Yes, just call the office at 386-239-0523 and make sure Rick updates your registration. 

Stampie
10/17/17 9:18 a.m.

I know lug nuts and wheel studs are exempt but if you require washers for your lug nuts are they exempt also?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/17/17 10:08 a.m.

Any one who wants an editable version of the Vehicle information Form, I made it into a Word Doc and also a PDF "form" below. 

GRM $2017 Challenge Vehicle Info Form - PDF

GRM $2017 Challenge Vehicle Info Form - Word Doc

Stampie
10/17/17 10:15 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

I love you in a very GRM way. 

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/17/17 10:31 a.m.
Stampie said:

In reply to AWSX1686 :

I love you in a very GRM way. 

laugh Thanks! Hahaha

I was just annoyed with the original, so I figured I might as well share my solution. 

1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ySbogGcjyaDpRtDNNDCtvwdNyDy5veLNNNfav3OPDiIBAcBSOeTO4n6gemSDpu2f