GTXVette said:

I will give you 22 dollars for the Springs,

then it will be Good to Go

Sold!

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/5/18 11:52 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Our "sleeves/adjusters" cost us about $1.50 per corner. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
1/5/18 12:14 p.m.

Yeah, can't prorate things that are a mix of different items. Sell the rest of that to recoup.

Crackers
Crackers Dork
1/10/18 1:45 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

New topic: if i order $75 worth of steel, use some to make a part that sells for 75 and use the rest on the challenge car, does that mean i zero out the steel?

What about making stuff out of the scrap parts on the car? 

If I made tools or keychains/bottle openers out of scrap parts and sold them, how would that count? 

Sculptures out of old body panels? 

(I ask because I do this anyway.)

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/10/18 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Crackers :

That would almost certainly count the same as if you had sold off the parts to someone without modifying them- but bear in mind that any additional materials/cost associated with the items (like the rings for keychains if you have to purchase them vs. making them from something on the car) would be deducted from the credit to your budget.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/10/18 4:38 p.m.

Ok, new one:

The guy i bought my rollbar from had included 20 feet of tubing in the price to finish it. The night i picked it up, he couldn't find the tubing. Swore he would find it for me as hes in the process of moving. 

He never was able to find it. So he told me to go buy a stick (20 feet) and hed reimbrse me. I bought the stick, and he has reimbursed me.

I would think that i just leave the line item of "$200 roll bar, 20ft tubing" as it is on the budget sheet, as the end deal is exactly the same. Whats the ruling?

AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/11/18 8:00 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

I think I would just leave it as your original deal. While technically you went and bought the tubing separate, it was part of your deal with them and the seller paid for it as part of the deal. So if the deal was $200 for the roll bar and the 20ft of tubing, I think it's a $200 budget hit. 

That said, I need to find someone who wants to trade me some tubing for a turbo or T5 transmission or something I have in the build pile so it doesn't hit my budget so I can build the full cage. (Trades don't count!)

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/11/18 8:17 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Umm.. you didn't pay anything for the tubing. He reimbursed you. wink

You paid $200.  The end. 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/11/18 9:12 a.m.

Just wanted to be honest.  Thanks guys!

AWSX1686
1/11/18 10:26 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Just wanted to be honest.  Thanks guys!

And we all appreciate it! 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
1/12/18 9:32 a.m.

Big news for the supreme court: UPDATED FAQ!

We've condensed this thread into a series of questions and answers, and added it to the Challenge rules. Find them here:

http://www.grmchallenge.com/rules/

AWSX1686
1/12/18 9:46 a.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Awesome!

This part makes me smile because I know it's there because of me. :)

Q: Can I run my exhaust through the passenger side foot well for clearance?

A: Only if any intruding sections of exhaust are covered with a firewall material.

bigben
bigben Reader
1/12/18 2:34 p.m.

First off thanks for the condensed FAQ, it will make preparing for the event so much easier.  If that detailed of an FAQ had been available at my first event it would have saved me a lot of stress.

Now on to the application of the question below. (since it says staff discretion)

Q: Can normal wear and tear items that were in good condition at the time of purchase be repaired without counting against my budget?

A: Yes, but within reason and at the staff’s discretion. I.E. if you purchase a car knowing a part will fail soon and get a discount because of it, prepare to budget that cost into the build.

Here is the exact scenario:  When the challenge car was purchased in 2002 it had a full set of Koni adjustable shocks in good working order and all good suspension parts.  The car was used for general transportation until mid 2007 putting somewhere between 30 - 40k miles on it. Engine swap was then completed in Sept. 2008 and an additional 16k miles have been put on it since the engine swap along with numerous autocross and time trial events.  

Now one front and one rear shock are failing and the tie rod ends have an unsafe amount of slop.  Can I repair the adjustable Koni's (or replace them with cheap non-adjustable KYB's) without charging it to my budget? (no performance improvement over the original parts on the challenge car when purchased)  The same question for the tie rod ends, can they be replaced as a maintenance item that has worn out with extended use after the purchase of the vehicle? ( I would still charge the replacement of torn tie rod boots to the budget since they needed to be replaced when the car was purchased.)

Would I record the shocks and tie rod ends on the budget sheet and mark them as exempt with an explanation in the notes column?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/12/18 2:50 p.m.

In regards to the NHRA open car rule. Does that mean no top whatsoever, soft top, removable hardtop? The application is a Miata. Need to make sure my cages legal since I'm shooting for 12.50

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/12/18 2:52 p.m.

In reply to bigben :

I think the point of that is to say you can put the car back in the condition that you bought it in, but don't use this as a loophole to improve the car and call it "maintenance ". 

So the answer to your question is "Yes". 

I suggest including all the documentation you can of the condition when purchased. 

bigben
bigben Reader
1/12/18 5:05 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Thanks. I feel like I'm safely within the intent of the ruling on these two items.

I also replaced suspension bushings, but those will be included in the budget since they are an improvement over the as purchased condition.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/12/18 7:04 p.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

You need a bar at 13.99 with any convertible or open top, IIRC.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/16/18 4:58 p.m.

Since this was un-stickyd, i had to dig. 

I have a feeling that i know the answer already, but....

I bought a lot of 20 shocks for 200 bucks. This is an assortment of brands. However, they are all miata shocks. In my mind, thay are 10 each. The faq in the new rules states about treating a pile of parts like a parts car. However, this is different since they are all the same part for the same car. Not an assortment of dissimilar parts, which would be difficult to value seperate for purposes of fmv of the used parts.

Did that make sense?

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/16/18 5:26 p.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Since this was un-stickyd, i had to dig. 

I bought a lot of 20 shocks for 200 bucks. This is an assortment of brands. However, they are all miata shocks. In my mind, thay are 10 each. The faq in the new rules states about treating a pile of parts like a parts car. However, this is different since they are all the same part for the same car. Not an assortment of dissimilar parts, which would be difficult to value seperate for purposes of fmv of the used parts.

Did that make sense?

I will buy some of your extras if you are selling.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
1/16/18 5:57 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

You have mail 

AWSX1686
1/17/18 8:40 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

How hard would it be just to get a new receipt from the seller? That seems like the most rule-legal way...

GTXVette
GTXVette Dork
1/17/18 10:41 a.m.

I am Guessing I missed the Post where they dropped the Stickiness of the Supreme court.  At Least Half of the Posts here concern Challenge Builds and or Questions thereof so ?.  I know I tend to sway from the Intent of the thread on Occasion but , Up front so Newbies can locate it.

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
1/17/18 11:05 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13 :

Treat a parts pile like a parts car if they are dissimilar parts for one sum, but similar parts can be priced each, IMO. Remember the spoiler example many pages back, very similar example. I, personally, don’t care if the spoiler examples are from different cars, they are still spoilers and should be treated as such. But if you have a spoiler, front cover, back seat, etc in the pile they should be priced accordingly within the bought sum.

Just my plugged nickel of free advice....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
1/17/18 11:21 a.m.
Dusterbd13 said:

Since this was un-stickyd, i had to dig. 

I bought a lot of 20 shocks for 200 bucks. This is an assortment of brands. However, they are all miata shocks. In my mind, thay are 10 each. The faq in the new rules states about treating a pile of parts like a parts car. However, this is different since they are all the same part for the same car. Not an assortment of dissimilar parts, which would be difficult to value seperate for purposes of fmv of the used parts.

Did that make sense?

I don't think there is any difference. 

You got a bulk discount that would not have been available otherwise. The price was not $10 each, it was 20 for $200.  The correct way to budget this is to put a $200 expense in your budget, then recoup the ones you sell (up to $200). 

This used to be allowed. It was affectionately called the "Zip Tie Rule" (i.e.: Q: If a pack of 100 zip ties costs $7.95, how much do I budget if I only use 17?  A: 7.95 x .17, or $1.36). It is not allowed under the current rule set. 

Sorry. 

MrJoshua
MrJoshua UltimaDork
1/17/18 11:27 a.m.

So now if we buy a pack of zip ties we have to sell the remaining ones we don't use? 

1 ... 33 34 35 36 37 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dLii8r6VHsPEUljnfAaMdmMuSu2wqh6qy2lmricYkTb4VLdlEcuofoEjvyqpHUlV