1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 44
AWSX1686
AWSX1686 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/10/18 1:05 p.m.

Did registration go up? On the rule page it says $175 + $65 for each additional person, but my receipt shows $195 + $75 for each additional. Just trying to make sure that's correct. 

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
9/23/18 2:57 p.m.

Question:  are uprated flywheel bolts considered budget-exempt, like wheel studs, etc.?

I'm installing a new flywheel and thought I'd upgrade to ARP flywheel bolts while I was in there, rather than reuse the originals, or purchase new "generic" parts store replacements.

davbro
davbro New Reader
9/24/18 9:57 p.m.

if entering a car under the Lemons rules are you allowed to use less than 200 treadwear tyres? Lemons rules limit you to 200, so i am assuming i would have to run those to fit the Lemons category at the $2018 Challenge

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Digital Experience Director
9/25/18 9:51 a.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

They are not budget exempt–you'll need to include them in your build sheet.

Tom Suddard
9/25/18 9:52 a.m.

In reply to davbro :

You'll need to follow all Lemons rules, which means yes, 200 tw minimum tires.

Tom Suddard
9/25/18 9:53 a.m.

In reply to AWSX1686 :

That's correct. The early bird price ends 30 days before the event.

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
10/1/18 3:38 p.m.

Waiver / variance request...

I'm interested in using magnetic backing for the number panels and stickers. Technically - that would be "on the car".

Could we get approval for the magnetic backing to be budget exempt? It's certainly not performance enhancing in any way...

Tom Suddard
10/1/18 3:49 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith :

No, sorry. That needs to be in the budget. 

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
10/1/18 6:07 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Okay. It is what it is. Can you give me dimensions of the number plates and anything else in the sticker package that we will be putting on?

davbro
davbro New Reader
10/2/18 12:57 p.m.

With the drag event being cancelled this year, is it possible to get the headlight requirement waved?

Ashyukun (Robert)
Ashyukun (Robert) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
10/2/18 1:06 p.m.

Related question to Greg's- Is the windshield banner going to be the same as last year's (GRM one)? I still have it on from last year and am not going to take it off if I don't need to.

I'm also curious of the dimensions of the panels, I have a roll of white vinyl I pulled from a dumpster at the local print shop that I was thinking of putting down under the number panels so I could easily remove them.

white_fly
white_fly Reader
10/2/18 6:03 p.m.

Does the autocross run rain or shine? How likely is it to rain at the challenge?

davbro
davbro New Reader
10/2/18 9:39 p.m.

In reply to white_fly:

$2007 rained frownand the autocross was still on

Tom Suddard
10/2/18 10:30 p.m.

The autocross runs rain or shine. 

The way the rules are written, you don’t need headlights but they are strongly encouraged. 

I’ll have Miles measure a number panel and post that info here in the morning. 

Still sorting out windshield banners. 

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/2/18 11:07 p.m.
Ashyukun (Robert) said:

Related question to Greg's- Is the windshield banner going to be the same as last year's (GRM one)? I still have it on from last year and am not going to take it off if I don't need to.

I'm also curious of the dimensions of the panels, I have a roll of white vinyl I pulled from a dumpster at the local print shop that I was thinking of putting down under the number panels so I could easily remove them.

If you have some extra white I think the parking lot build could put it to good use!

Ashyukun (Robert)
10/3/18 7:43 a.m.

In reply to Robbie :

I have a pretty good sized roll that I'll try and remember to throw in to bring along- the place I grabbed it from does car wraps and thus can't use under certain lengths so just pitched them.

Miles Wilson
Miles Wilson Reader Services
10/3/18 8:36 a.m.

In reply to Ashyukun (Robert) :

Our panels measure 15-13/16" width and 19-13/16" height, or about 16x20".

Ashyukun (Robert)
10/3/18 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Miles Wilson :

Thanks!

Greg Smith
Greg Smith HalfDork
10/3/18 2:40 p.m.

Excellent! 

I was expecting 18x24, so that works. 

I will have some left over magnetic backing, 24" wide, 30 mil. $5 per lineal foot. 

So ~3feet for 2 number panels would be $15 

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/3/18 4:10 p.m.

I used the free magnet panel samples from my vinyl machine.  No way i’m ever peeling those things off again.  

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
10/10/18 10:10 p.m.

Question:

Bought a BMW, fixed it up some, traded it for a Miata.  Is the money I put into the BMW plus purchase price a recoup, then that amount is the purchase price for the Miata, or do I just list the costs all the way down?

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/10/18 10:28 p.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

It depends somewhat. If you had $1500 in your BMW and the Miata was listed for $2k, I’d (generally) say you have a $1500 Miata. If you had $3k in the BMW, but traded even-up for the Miata, I think you’d have a good argument that the BMW was only worth $2k. 

Justjim75
Justjim75 HalfDork
10/10/18 11:32 p.m.

I think we have it figured out.  Well, my wife did it. All in parts and purchase was $xxxx.xx for the BMW,  that number is the "purchase price" for the Miata, and separate budgets were done for each to show how we got the numbers.  And I claimed all 4 tires bought for the BMW in its budget, then exempted the tires I'll be racing on, even though they cost less.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/11/18 5:43 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

The tires & any brake repair could be a bit of a grey area, especially if your intent was initially to challenge the BMW. I’d defer to Tom’s ruling on that. 

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/11/18 6:46 a.m.

In reply to Justjim75 :

You didn’t recoup anything. You traded. 

So, I’d say your wife got it right. 

Does she rent her services out to other Challenge competitors struggling with the labyrinth of the budget spreadsheet??

1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
8HizMwFX3csK4gQ0IClpzGNuAz7vPWk6lbpoPego5KLM1mGkMSlQFVzdBv6zO82h