1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 44
GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/7/17 7:21 p.m.

In reply to SVreX: Riddle me this, If I count the full cost of an Item this year, Why would I need to count it again In the Future if it's still the same part,and in this case I am thinking an engine since that make's Stampie's head shake. How would that be Incorrect?

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/7/17 7:21 p.m.

street equipment

I know we need lights. What about a horn? Mirrors? Wipers? Disco ball?

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/7/17 7:25 p.m.

You bring the Disco Ball,I'll dig up some Bee Gee's Music.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/7/17 7:27 p.m.

That can be arranged....

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/7/17 9:02 p.m.
GTXVette wrote: In reply to SVreX: Riddle me this, If I count the full cost of an Item this year, Why would I need to count it again In the Future if it's still the same part,and in this case I am thinking an engine since that make's Stampie's head shake. How would that be Incorrect?

Because the full part is still on the car. A budget is not how many dollars you spent THIS YEAR, it's how many dollars were spent ON THE CAR.

It makes no difference how long it takes you to build, or how many times the car shows up at the Challenge. The budget represents EVERY part that is on the car each time it appears.

If you take the part OFF the car, you can take it out of the budget. If its ON the car, its IN the budget.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/7/17 9:09 p.m.
GTXVette wrote: In reply to SVreX: Riddle me this, If I count the full cost of an Item this year, Why would I need to count it again In the Future if it's still the same part,and in this case I am thinking an engine since that make's Stampie's head shake. How would that be Incorrect?

I think I see what you are getting at. I guess we need to clarify if it is two different cars or not. Say I bring a car in $2017, with a total budget spent of $1500. Next year, if I change nothing about the car and bring it again, it still has a total budget spent of $1500 (not $3000, because it's not like I'm buying the whole car again). However, I cannot pull the engine from the $1500 car and put it in another car without accounting for the engine in that car's build budget.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
5/8/17 8:37 a.m.
darkbuddha wrote: Another question: I know pull-a-part price lists are generally frowned upon as points of reference for FMV, but what should we do when using eBay auctions for FMV is berkeleying bat E36 M3 crazy compared to what we actually paid for it out of a pull-a-part yard or from Craigslist, but we don't have a receipt? Would pull-a-part price lists be acceptable at that point?

You should really have a receipt in these cases, since FMV isn't supposed to reflect what you paid for a part. It's supposed to reflect the fair market value. If you think you can make your case with a pull-a-part price list, a few photos of you pulling the part, and a good story, go for it, but the rules are purposely written to encourage actual receipts and deals.

Tom Suddard
5/8/17 8:43 a.m.

In reply to patgizz:

I average about 200 new emails per day, with about half of those requiring action and a thoughtful, detailed response. I'm sorry if it takes me a little bit to get back to you at times. That's why I created this thread–it's much easier to check here once a day than it is to sort through a few hundred urgent emails each morning. I also like the public nature of this thread, which can help others answer their questions if similar.

In your case, I'd split the heads up because you traded one $15 value head for each item mentioned in the email.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/8/17 8:58 a.m.

What about the street equipment question?

Tom Suddard
5/8/17 9:06 a.m.

In reply to Dusterbd13:

Street Equipment

Nope! Just a finished appearance.

Challenge Rules said: Cars should have a finished appearance. Use good sense and taste when you modify your car, as missing grilles, headlights, fenders, hoods and the like are generally unattractive. Cars that are ugly will be less likely to be featured in the magazine and other media. Please remove your front license plate and plate holder, as those things are ugly, too. GRM will provide required number panels to all entrants. If you have a theme that doesn’t work with these panels, then concessions can be made. Please discuss with the GRM staff prior to the event. Sponsors make this event possible, so GRM reserves the right to require a windshield banner, as well as the right to require that competing companies’ decals be removed or covered during the event.
Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/8/17 9:08 a.m.

Thanks tom!

Its what i thought, but wanted to make sure.

Tom Suddard
5/8/17 9:08 a.m.

Pat,

Fair enough, and I totally understand. But it's how racers are, and I'm used to it.

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
5/8/17 9:16 a.m.

Racing on a budget Just isn't the Same as Being Under a budget, Quite different.It's very new to me. Tough to Do. Nothing directed at you Pat, Just in General.

Tom Suddard
5/8/17 10:21 a.m.

GTXVette, you're welcome to whine on our forum. But please, please, don't do it in this thread. It's making things harder to read than they need to be.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/8/17 10:35 a.m.

Now that you're caught up I have a safety/nhra question.

Using adapters between an engine and transmission of different makes

Will this be allowed to run even if homemade? Make a difference if it's slower or faster than 11.5 seconds? I want to be creative in the spirit of the Challenge and the best choice of engines for a build would need this.

Tom Suddard
5/8/17 11:55 a.m.

Yes! Go for it. If it runs faster than 11.5 seconds it will need to meet all applicable NHRA rules, but competitors have done this before with varied success.

Antihero
Antihero GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/8/17 10:54 p.m.

Cracked Windshield need replaced?

Caprice has a slightly cracked windshield, do I need to replace it? First time doing any sort of racing so I'm sure it's a dumb question

Tom Suddard
5/9/17 9:13 a.m.

Yes, cracked windshield needs to be replaced. In special circumstances (windshield got a tiny tiny crack way out of the driver's way during the trip down or something) tech may let you by if you tape the crack up, but this early on it's not worth risking not being able to run.

Ovid_and_Flem
Ovid_and_Flem HalfDork
5/9/17 9:38 a.m.

TAPE ON CRACKED WINDSHIELD AND NHRA RULES

Tom, doesn't NHRA RULES specifically ban any tape on windshields? Will GRM event organizers have authority to override NHRA scrutineers? Especially if it's a minor crack or repaired similar to a rock chip repair?

Tom Suddard
5/10/17 3:19 p.m.

I believe it is, but we do have limited authority to overrule here. No guarantees, case-by-case basis, don't expect it, etc. At the end of the day we want happy competitors and editorial content, so we may be willing to let you tape that rock chip on the bottom right corner if your car is otherwise perfect. If we don't, or we apply that exemption unfairly, you were warned.

Basically, FIX YOUR WINDSHIELDS. It's not worth wasting your entry fees, your hotel, and the gas and time to drive to the Challenge only to be turned away for a cracked windshield. Do not come to the event expecting to be let through tech with broken glass.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/11/17 10:59 a.m.

First of all, sorry for not using bold, because I'm not sure which part is the important question.

I've seen and heard of people using PowerPoint and videos for the presentation part of the challenge in the past. Does that stuff count against budget too?

Like laptop, projector, screen, or just laptop and inverter?

I'm hoping to get good video of the car in action this year to use with the presentation, but I'm getting close enough to budget that even my very old laptop and even A Chinese projector setup could put me over the limit.

Tom Suddard
5/11/17 11:05 a.m.

Nope, that stuff doesn't count against budget. Nor do your build book materials. You won't have space to set up a projector screen, though, and it will be too bright outside for it to be visible. Stick to a laptop or foam board if you want to.

Please make sure you submit a build book that follows the approved format, too.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/12/17 4:39 p.m.

In reply to RevRico:

I've done PowerPoint. We put 2 laptops on fhe roof of the car during the concours and set them on an automatic rotating slideshow. Worked great.

Note: do not expect AC power. You need decent batteries.

exST165
exST165 New Reader
5/24/17 12:35 p.m.

Is the soccer mom class happening in 2017? Is this still the word on stability:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/soccer-mom-challenge-rules/108846/page1/

So height < average track where track is measured from the middle of the tire and not the outside edges? Does height include roof rack? Not a big deal to remove it but I'd rather know now than in tech.

Any supplemental regulations limiting tire compound? I thought there was a reference in a discussion about limits to tread wear less than 200 but then JohnRW1621 brought BFG R1s:

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/a-van-called-quest/111084/page6/

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/25/17 8:06 a.m.
exST165 wrote: Is the soccer mom class happening in 2017? Is this still the word on stability: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/soccer-mom-challenge-rules/108846/page1/ So height < average track where track is measured from the middle of the tire and not the outside edges? Does height include roof rack? Not a big deal to remove it but I'd rather know now than in tech. Any supplemental regulations limiting tire compound? I thought there was a reference in a discussion about limits to tread wear less than 200 but then JohnRW1621 brought BFG R1s: https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/a-van-called-quest/111084/page6/

The Soccer Mom class was last year's specialty class- each year has a different one (now, it's a relatively recent addition) and this year's is Pickup Trucks.

Don't know the answers to the main questions though- I do know that at least a few other competitors are keeping an eye on the stability issue with their trucks since they tend to be taller than most of the usual vehicles that show up.

1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 ... 44

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
CWfJgamtKnKu6z5Vd4Ridg9lozASeo11CBKRKcUmwWjKqRadGYmX4tywSP5nFNTs