stan_d
stan_d Dork
10/20/14 3:04 p.m.

Thought I would post. I headed down early and I am at the host hotel. I65 at Louisville is rough long delay. Several spots in GA on I75 but moved fast during middle of the night.

conesare2seconds
conesare2seconds HalfDork
10/20/14 7:57 p.m.

From firsthand experience today, avoid the Macon GA bypass on I-75. It's longer, but just ride through town unless you are absolutely sure they are not paving or "sealing" the pavement. They closed 2/3 lanes this afternoon - no electronic signs or any heads up at all. Thanks, GADOT, for the 2-hour delay which I could have easily avoided by taking the "long" way. BTW, I gave the middle finger to every supervisor's car I passed on that damn road crew.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
10/20/14 8:38 p.m.

As a Louisville resident I would recommend taking 64E and then 75S through Knoxville. More miles but potentially less delays.

MrChaos
MrChaos GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/21/14 11:34 a.m.

I-26 at the I-40/240 interchange in Asheville, NC is a nightmare due to construction if anyone is coming that direction.

evildky
evildky Dork
10/21/14 12:20 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote: As a Louisville resident I would recommend taking 64E and then 75S through Knoxville. More miles but potentially less delays.

Probably solid advice, last I heard 65 was a single lane in a couple of places between here and Bowling Green, guess who gets to pull an overloaded scca trailer through it friday :

JunkyardDog, Who are you and how do I not know you? I used to know half the rover techs but they all got chased off when they brought in a new manager a few years ago.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
10/21/14 1:18 p.m.
evildky wrote:
Junkyard_Dog wrote: As a Louisville resident I would recommend taking 64E and then 75S through Knoxville. More miles but potentially less delays.
Probably solid advice, last I heard 65 was a single lane in a couple of places between here and Bowling Green, guess who gets to pull an overloaded scca trailer through it friday : JunkyardDog, Who are you and how do I not know you? I used to know half the rover techs but they all got chased off when they brought in a new manager a few years ago.

No idea, but you probably do. This is my business FB page.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/21/14 1:39 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: I-26 at the I-40/240 interchange in Asheville, NC is a nightmare due to construction if anyone is coming that direction.

but if you're coming down I 26 … there really isn't any alternative … assuming you don't know your way around Asheville

and unless you're local, there's not much reason to be on I 26 in the Asheville area, when you're trying to get to I 85/ I 75

if you're south of here, it's easier to go to Greenville and pick up I 85 .. if north of here, try I 40 W to US 19/23 to Sylva and then US 441 S to Atlanta

MrChaos
10/21/14 2:44 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

that is the correct route.

Or you can get on Brevard Road(NC 191) heading south(there is an exit on both 40 and 26/240) and then get on I-26 at Long Shoals rd or hit US 25 and get on 26 at the Asheville Airport.

But yes you should only really deal with that section of 26 if you are coming from Asheville or the Tri-cites. Especially since you can hit 75 in Knoxville.

If I go to GA it is through 441.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
10/21/14 3:00 p.m.

I'll be heading down I75 from Michigan in the morning and I'll probably make Atlanta right around rush hour.Is it better to go east or west around the ring road? I'm assuming straight through the city is the least effective way.

MrChaos
10/21/14 5:17 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk:

doesnt matter. either way is going to be a parking lot.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
10/21/14 6:54 p.m.
MrChaos wrote: In reply to wbjones: that is the correct route. Or you can get on Brevard Road(NC 191) heading south(there is an exit on both 40 and 26/240) and then get on I-26 at Long Shoals rd or hit US 25 and get on 26 at the Asheville Airport. But yes you should only really deal with that section of 26 if you are coming from Asheville or the Tri-cites. Especially since you can hit 75 in Knoxville. If I go to GA it is through 441.

yeah, my point … even if you're coming from the tri-cities area … come to asheville and turn west on I 40 … no need to get on I 26 … can't really see anyone needing to use I 26 in the Asheville area if they're heading for Gainesville

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
10/22/14 9:18 a.m.

FYI to those passing through SC. Gasoline (reg) is around $2.75/gallon.

MrChaos
10/22/14 9:58 a.m.

In reply to spitfirebill:

it ranges between 3.09 and 3.25 in the asheville/wnc area

lnlogauge
lnlogauge New Reader
10/22/14 10:39 a.m.
DeadSkunk wrote: I'll be heading down I75 from Michigan in the morning and I'll probably make Atlanta right around rush hour.Is it better to go east or west around the ring road? I'm assuming straight through the city is the least effective way.

west around the ring is a good bit more miles. Definitely take the east route. If you aren't alone, through the city might be the quickest if you can take advantage of the HOV lane.

evildky
evildky Dork
10/22/14 11:08 a.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
evildky wrote:
Probably solid advice, last I heard 65 was a single lane in a couple of places between here and Bowling Green, guess who gets to pull an overloaded scca trailer through it friday : JunkyardDog, Who are you and how do I not know you? I used to know half the rover techs but they all got chased off when they brought in a new manager a few years ago.
No idea, but you probably do. This is my business FB page.

I asked around, sounds like you replaced my buddy at rover when he was chased off. You should come to an autocross sometime, last one of the year this weekend in BG at the NCM pad. HPDE on track next weekend.

Safe travel challengers!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2NjZHxtjL25OkMc3NrLyylJoqPVDtiLCpLj0U9mztt9neTDUgA4smiDNfWal010Y