1 2
corytate
corytate Dork
2/21/12 8:38 p.m.

Got the car into the garage a couple hours ago, which was kind of a ridiculous ordeal.
It's definitely gonna be fun to move it back out..
as it sits right now, $400 for the car + parts bins and $250 for the l24 and 4 speed trans that we may or may not use, so it may not be part of the budget.
The car is a 75 280z, and is in surprisingly good shape, as are many of the parts I got with it.
Just perusing through the car we've found the two stock seats in ok condition, a good dash, a good center console, 2 extra clutch masters, a clutch slave, a flywheel & clutch, rad hoses (lol), alot of fasteners, etc etc
We're going to get all that mess out of it tomorrow and take pictures to post some stuff up for sale on here and on craigslist.
Here are the pictures my team mate took of the car in place:

will be keeping this thread updated, and my team mate will probably be joining the forum soon.

Up Next:
We need to find a powertrain, strip the car completely, sand it, prime it, and purple it (car is going to be a plum color=]), redo the suspension, fix the brakes (prob new MC & adjust handbrake cable because it doesn't really do anything right now, and just pretty much get everything to good condition.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/21/12 8:43 p.m.

adding to my favorites....

tuna55
tuna55 SuperDork
2/21/12 8:45 p.m.

Very nice. I have always wondered. Do the 240, 260 and 280 all share the same sheetmetal, with only ugly bumpers being the differences?

pete240z
pete240z SuperDork
2/21/12 8:45 p.m.

Z cars. My favorite.

corytate
corytate Dork
2/21/12 8:57 p.m.
tuna55 wrote: Very nice. I have always wondered. Do the 240, 260 and 280 all share the same sheetmetal, with only ugly bumpers being the differences?

minor exterior differences, some small chassis differences like stiffening, and interiors also, but they're all s30 chassis (240,260,and 280, not the zx cars though)

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
2/21/12 9:08 p.m.

I love those early Z cars also. Yep, I am going to be watching this one.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
2/21/12 9:21 p.m.

o-g, getting that back out is going to be fun.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
2/21/12 9:25 p.m.

Is the Z=Zero rule still in place?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
2/21/12 9:32 p.m.

Whoa. Did y'all actually have to get the car through the door, and then move it on the other side of the pole? Man, that must have been a job.

And yeah, early Zs rock. I was into British cars as a teenager, first time I drove a Z (about 1977 or so), I was blown away by how much better it was than anything I'd ever driven before. Don't know how on Earth I never ended up owning one.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
2/21/12 9:33 p.m.

Those pictures are going to leave my wife wondering what I was looking at as I walk away.

corytate
corytate Dork
2/21/12 10:09 p.m.
friedgreencorrado wrote: Whoa. Did y'all actually have to get the car through the door, and then move it on the other side of the pole? Man, that *must* have been a job.

hahaha yes, we decided it will have to be filmed when we move it out. it took about an hour of pushing the car forward, turning the wheel, picking up the ass end and sliding it over, and pushing it backwards again.
we weren't excessively careful with it and we only ended up touching the poles two or three times.
we had to move it over so he can park his fc in the garage so it doesn't get stolen, and because my brother laid down some excessively nice paint on it lol
I'm really excited to get started on this car, and hope we can get some budget back with the extras the car came with

fritzsch
fritzsch Reader
2/21/12 10:10 p.m.

solid color choice

corytate
corytate Dork
2/21/12 10:49 p.m.
fritzsch wrote: solid color choice

lol I guess you're talking about the plum? thought you were talking about the primer + red headlight buckets + brown hatch at first lmao

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado SuperDork
2/22/12 1:52 a.m.
corytate wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Whoa. Did y'all actually have to get the car through the door, and then move it on the other side of the pole? Man, that *must* have been a job.
hahaha yes, we decided it will have to be filmed when we move it out. it took about an hour of pushing the car forward, turning the wheel, picking up the ass end and sliding it over, and pushing it backwards again. we weren't excessively careful with it and we only ended up touching the poles two or three times. we had to move it over so he can park his fc in the garage so it doesn't get stolen, and because my brother laid down some excessively nice paint on it lol I'm really excited to get started on this car, and hope we can get some budget back with the extras the car came with

I was gonna ask how you swiveled it, since I didn't see a floor jack in the pix. I guess the pole's a load bearing member for the house? I wonder if somebody here's close enough to you to lend you a floor jack when you need to get it out.

Good luck with the build!

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
2/22/12 4:42 a.m.

Wheel Dollies are your friend. The small mover's dollys from HF make a decent temporary wheel dolly. Their wheel bearings will be destroyed if you leave the car on them for weeks on end....ask me how I know.

Luke
Luke SuperDork
2/22/12 5:40 a.m.

Awesome. Good luck with it.

When I was a kid, my uncle took me for a ride in his freshly-restored 240Z. Him peeling out of our driveway with me onboard is one of my formative car memories.

turboHLS30
turboHLS30 Reader
2/22/12 8:35 a.m.

Wow your build is almost identical to mine! I have a '75 280z with a L24 but mine is 5 speed I also got mine for $400 too. If I don't sell mine it's definitely going to the challenge

unevolved
unevolved Dork
2/22/12 9:18 a.m.

I'm jealous. An s30 is on the short list of cars I will own one day.

corytate
corytate Dork
2/22/12 10:24 a.m.

Both of us have floor jacks but they are of the crappy kind and we didn't think to try them lol
I'll be spending alot more on tools and equipment than on the actual car for this lol
the car will have literally every part removed from it, and will be sanded, primed, and purpled on the inside and in the bay as well.
we have 240sx lowering springs which fit once the bump stops are trimmed, so we might end up just running those if we run out of budget buying an engine and making it work
and yes the poles are both structural to the house, theres one about 10" out from the rh wall (standing at door looking in) and the other one is probably 8-10" out from that same wall. its gonna be very fun lol

corytate
corytate Dork
2/22/12 9:51 p.m.

got all the parts out of the z, got a lot of the leather coverings out, got the tail lights out, got the drivers seat out, vacuumed the car out, and then ran out of time.
Got to sit in the car for the first time, even if it was in the seat we aren't going to use.
Next week we will be taking the dash out, cutting out all the wiring throughout the car, and dropping the gas tank.
After I get a welder and/or an engine hoist and stand, we will either start the seam welding or start stripping the engine room.
Overall I feel like we got a lot done tonight in our three hour stint, and I hope we can keep this pace up through september and be ready for the challenge!

corytate
corytate Dork
2/22/12 10:19 p.m.

oh, and does anyone know if the number 88 is called by any of the challenge regulars? wanting to claim it, as you are now looking at the thread for the Crazy 88 racing challenge Z build.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
2/22/12 10:28 p.m.

that car looks awfully familiar.....

and none, i mean none, of the suspension bolts are tight.

michael

speedbiu
speedbiu Reader
2/22/12 10:29 p.m.

Are you a Dale JR fan??

corytate
corytate Dork
2/23/12 10:13 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: that car looks awfully familiar..... and none, i mean none, of the suspension bolts are tight. michael

hahha yeah he told me to definitely check every bit of the suspension. we're gonna finish stripping it and sand and re prime a lot of it anyways so we might as well go over the suspension. after the challenge it'll continue to be a race car so I want to get everything right. bad thing is, I'm gonna have to figure out how to get the title resigned by the original owner, can't get it notarized unless he signs it with his full name and prints it all in there too, he left out his middle name=/

and definitely not to the dale jr thing LOL
I met dale jarrett when he was number 88, but either way I have no special love of NASCAR lol
crazy 88 sounds cool, the numbers together are aesthetically pleasing, '8" is lucky in asian culture, and these guys are the original crazy 88 (even though they all get killed:
crazy 88

benvalle
benvalle New Reader
2/23/12 8:13 p.m.

damn that took forever to get in between those poles

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d9DjPURWt051kRTCQwDORNqpeD2XpUwkLDpFaEREQv3EdIainrVH2OzS27N48tgf