1 2
corytate
corytate Dork
2/23/12 9:16 p.m.
benvalle wrote: damn that took forever to get in between those poles

oh yes.
Feel free to update the thread with what you do to the car when I'm not there too, I guess we can use this thread as a build thread for the car

corytate
corytate Dork
2/26/12 1:00 a.m.

Ben started on the dash removal the other night, but got derailed when all the bolts were removed and it wouldn't even budge. Tonight, after a couple hours of removing even more stuff, disconnecting the wiring rats nest, taking off the turn sig/wiper/etc assy, and disconnecting the hvac controls, we finally shimmied it out!
We looked at alot of other crap, but after that ordeal we didn't get anything else done really.
Tomorrow the gas tank will be dropped out, and alot of random brackets and other things removed from engine bay.
Also came to the realization that the wiring is absolutely going to have to be all redone, as most of the stuff inside the dash is just twisted and taped together, no heat shrink, not even any wire nuts.
Decided to run a single pole triple throw switch for turn sigs, buttons for wipers, washer, and horn. Going to get some small square steel tubing to build a frame for a new dash and lay sheet over it for a super simple interior.
Still have a line for no-name all black racing seats for $150 for the pair.

corytate
corytate Dork
2/26/12 11:04 p.m.

we got the gas tank dropped down, and dry iced all the insulation. very surprised at how easy it was to chip off after the dry ice was just passed over it.
Tomorrow, hopefully, we'll be taking the rear bumper supports out, taking all the wiring out, and random engine room stuff.

corytate
corytate Dork
3/2/12 10:11 p.m.

finally got almost everything out of the interior, and some stuff out of the engine bay.
slowly pulling the harness(es) out
bringing alot of tools from the new job because i dont use any of them, so we can get stuff done a little quicker now hopefully. Got an orbital sander the other day, thinking about the HF 90a flux welder to fix the few rust patches in there.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
3/2/12 11:25 p.m.

dont buy the harbor freight welders. especially the 99 dollar on sale special.

take your 100 dollar bill, roll it up tightly, and smoke it. it will last longer and be less frustrating.

either borrow a decent welder, or buy one. the cheap ones are just too frustrating to use.

michael

corytate
corytate Dork
3/3/12 9:45 a.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: dont buy the harbor freight welders. especially the 99 dollar on sale special. take your 100 dollar bill, roll it up tightly, and smoke it. it will last longer and be less frustrating. either borrow a decent welder, or buy one. the cheap ones are just too frustrating to use. michael

thanks mna, its good to know someone who knows about the machines instead of relying on online reviews lol.
Are the budget eastwood machines any good? they are definitely within price range

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 HalfDork
3/3/12 11:42 a.m.
corytate wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Whoa. Did y'all actually have to get the car through the door, and then move it on the other side of the pole? Man, that *must* have been a job.
hahaha yes, we decided it will have to be filmed when we move it out. it took about an hour of pushing the car forward, turning the wheel, picking up the ass end and sliding it over, and pushing it backwards again.

You won't be able to pick up the ass end once you put a drive train in it.

corytate
corytate Dork
3/4/12 12:27 a.m.
amg_rx7 wrote:
corytate wrote:
friedgreencorrado wrote: Whoa. Did y'all actually have to get the car through the door, and then move it on the other side of the pole? Man, that *must* have been a job.
hahaha yes, we decided it will have to be filmed when we move it out. it took about an hour of pushing the car forward, turning the wheel, picking up the ass end and sliding it over, and pushing it backwards again.
You won't be able to pick up the ass end once you put a drive train in it.

true, true. we are definitely going to get wheel dollies or something of the like.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
3/4/12 12:44 p.m.

you definately get what you pay for with a welder.

personally, when i need one, theres a rental yard up the way from me that rents millers by the day.

michael

corytate
corytate Dork
3/4/12 1:32 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: you definately get what you pay for with a welder. personally, when i need one, theres a rental yard up the way from me that rents millers by the day. michael

oooooh i didn't even think of that! that might be the ticket for when we get around to fixing the rust spots. We are almost ready to strip the paint, sand it an prime it, all thats left really is to get an engine hoist to get the engine out and then cut out and weld in steel to fix the rusties.
we've barely got anything left to get out of the car really.
doing a little more work tonight on it

corytate
corytate Dork
3/8/12 1:33 p.m.

Have barely anything left to get out of the car now, and have decided the car will be silver exterior, black rubberized undercoating spray interior and engine bay.
Looks like we're going to just try to find an l28 to slap the l24 head &carbs onto, and have money left for suspension, brakes, fender mirrors, and flares.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-CROWN-S40-MS50-MS55-MS60-MS65-MS85-FENDER-MIRROR-/310208251541?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4839da4695&vxp=mtr
I really like these.
anyone have any fender mirrors or mirrors that would look right on a fender that they'd sell? =]

corytate
corytate Dork
3/8/12 10:07 p.m.

finally got the front and rear harnesses out, plus most of the door pieces. headliner is ripped out, and i cracked the windshield, so we'll be taking that out too. lol
do lexan windshields fall under the budget or no?

several decisions were reached tonight, most important among which would be the decision to just run the l24 I already have so we will have enough budget to buy whats left. speaking of what's left, this is the list as far as I can figure it for right now:
rear diff
trans cross member & mounts
redo pretty much the entire braking system
radiator
wheels/tires
seats, harnesses
possibly a 5 speed trans, maybe the z32 trans
probably clutch and flywheel, what I have now may be useable though.
a large quantity of wire to redo the harness, but we may just end up separating the lighting harness fro the rest.
sway bar
might get reinforced, weld-in frame rails
the trans will need a shifter.
buttons for starting, wipers, washer, and lights.
lexan windshield
rubberized undercoating for the underside, engine bay, and interior
silver paint for the exterior
mirrors for the fenders
flares
grilles & front lip
bondo and sheet metal for filling in holes where the rear bumper supports used to be & for making a clean silhouette

That's all I can think of right now. very daunting task ahead of us lol

irish44j
irish44j SuperDork
3/8/12 10:24 p.m.
corytate wrote:
hahaha yes, we decided it will have to be filmed when we move it out. it took about an hour of pushing the car forward, turning the wheel, picking up the ass end and sliding it over, and pushing it backwards again. we weren't excessively careful with it and we only ended up touching the poles two or three times. we had to move it over so he can park his fc in the garage so it doesn't get stolen, and because my brother laid down some excessively nice paint on it lol I'm really excited to get started on this car, and hope we can get some budget back with the extras the car came with

get (or build) some wheel dollies. Then you can push it around all you want, wherever you want, by yourself. Especially since that pole is DEFINITELY gonna get annoying and in your way doing certain things. I have a much less obtrusive post in my garage and it always seems to be in the way, so I end up turning the car around to do things, or moving it forward or backward.

corytate
corytate Dork
3/9/12 5:55 p.m.
irish44j wrote:
corytate wrote:
hahaha yes, we decided it will have to be filmed when we move it out. it took about an hour of pushing the car forward, turning the wheel, picking up the ass end and sliding it over, and pushing it backwards again. we weren't excessively careful with it and we only ended up touching the poles two or three times. we had to move it over so he can park his fc in the garage so it doesn't get stolen, and because my brother laid down some excessively nice paint on it lol I'm really excited to get started on this car, and hope we can get some budget back with the extras the car came with
get (or build) some wheel dollies. Then you can push it around all you want, wherever you want, by yourself. Especially since that pole is DEFINITELY gonna get annoying and in your way doing certain things. I have a much less obtrusive post in my garage and it always seems to be in the way, so I end up turning the car around to do things, or moving it forward or backward.

yeah, right now it's either have the ability to open the driver's door and have the inability to go around the front of the car, or vice versa. There will be wheel dollies in the garage eventually. I think next week is going to be the week of stripping the interior paint off and priming it. hope to get an engine hoist and stand asap so we can get the last thing (the engine) out of the car and then the whole shebang will be ready for paints

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
3/9/12 7:11 p.m.

call dustin about that list. he may have some stuff for ya.

and when it comes time for wiring, remember that thats what i run a shop specializing in.....

michael

corytate
corytate Dork
3/12/12 11:07 p.m.

Windshield is out!

what a pita.
thank god for snap-on gasket scraper
and Michael, thank you, will more than likely be taking advantage of your expertise

corytate
corytate Dork
3/13/12 10:08 p.m.

rest of the interior is out.
tried out the orbital sander and it is awesome. 1 pass with the 40 grit and one with the 120 and it was as smooth as glass.
Need to get a welder to fix the rust holes and we will be ready to coat the interior and then start setting that up. gonna pick up seats for it when i head down there for some fun times, gonna get started laying out and building the dash (is steel legal for challenge replacement dash instead of alu?)
pretty excited to get to the point where it feels like were doing something to the car instead of just stripping it

corytate
corytate Dork
3/29/12 6:49 p.m.

bought some very used auto-x take-off hankook r-s3's today for $30
at the least they will be testing tires, at the most (likely) they will be the auto-x tires for the challenge and front drag tires as well.
Also got a connection for some seats for cheeeeeeeeap (and one of them is a kirkey!) and 5 point harnesses. and for super cheap lexan windshields I can cut to fit

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
4/1/12 7:46 p.m.

Hey corey! figured i could help motivate you. Dustins runs and drives as of friday night. i took some pics. i figure I'm proud of this thing, and of him, so ill show it off. i know he wouldn't.

any progress on yours?

corytate
corytate Dork
4/1/12 8:58 p.m.
Dusterbd13 wrote: Hey corey! figured i could help motivate you. Dustins runs and drives as of friday night. i took some pics. i figure I'm proud of this thing, and of him, so ill show it off. i know he wouldn't. any progress on yours?

mannnn that is awesome, and we haven't made much progress on mine. I'm ready to start fixing the rust finally, then the interior will be sprayed and ready for seats and wiring.
Got a line on an an awesome kirkey seat for super cheap from a guy at work.
the work has stalled a bit because of work and different things, the car is at benvalle's house, but work will begin again in earnest next weekend when he gets back from vacation!
Next weekend we have to organize the garage so we can actually find stuff, then that horrible tent will be removed from the hatch glass, the rust will be repaired, and it'll be black on the inside. hoping to do the underhood detailing also, hopefully the people up the street will let us borrow their engine hoist for a little bit lol
will keep ya updated, and hopefully I'll have some money together soon so I can try to buy that airdam off of dustin

corytate
corytate Dork
7/6/12 8:32 p.m.

Newly fired up to get this thing running!
Plans for the current incarnation are finalized:
Wet sand all the bumpiness out of the primer, clear over the primer and rust.
Patch the inside and just leave it the weird factory orangey color.
Leave it completely stipped, possibly taking apart stock dash for the gauges.
Stock wheel back on after being cleaned up.
s13 coils on after trimming bump stops to accomodate
Parts needed to get it running right now are Rad and fans, drive belts, fluids, diff &mounts, trans c member, carb rebuild kit (or triple webers=]), header +a little bit more exhaust, and a battery.
Thats all I can remember off the top of my head.
I will be buying some cheapie xxr 15" black wheels (I think they are model 502) and mounting my 'kooks on these.
Thinking about learning the ways of the fiberglass to make a rudimentary dash and to glass in the holes where the bumpers and all were
NO GLASS in the car, will be cutting down a lexan windscreen, window nets for at least the drivers side, either bolted in lexan or window net for pass side.
Thinking about how hard or easy it'd be to turn the rear quarter windows into the cool old school wing mirrors, old 4runner style.
fender mirrors
I want to skip out on gauges altogether and just get a racepak, but we'll see what happens.
I'm getting a new job making 1.5-2 x as much money soon =]=]=]=] (long overdue) so I'll be throwing money at this and at the kia soon enough.

FIRST THINGS FIRST THOUGH:
we need to get everything out of the garage and clean it. It's gross and cobwebby and depressing. lol.
roll the car out and wash it for the first time maybe also.
then roll it back in to an easier location. lol
Will update soon

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9hrf6ekpMX2X6w6viFGC9To5cQxXaIRbDjOB9m0YpeEIzth9rTUbD8hz1ugyS3v5