1 2 3
PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
4/23/15 10:25 a.m.

My move to Flagstaff, AZ will put me in the heart of forest service roads and back country exploring. Here in Southeast Pennsylvania we don't have many dirt roads until your in gas country, so I've never been all that interested in off-road pursuits (despite owning and modifying a Jeep CJ7). My buddies all have Cherokees that are lifted, but I've never felt the desire to own one myself.

This move changes that. I want to explore. I want to stealth camp. I want to find 4x4 solitude.

Thing is, I'm still limited by a budget, so lets start with "Challenge Prices" of under $2015 for the basic rig (in AZ prices).

I also really want a vehicle I can sleep inside. Whether its a truck with a cap, or a van, or Suburban, or Subaru Outback. I need 6'2" of straight sleeping space. If I have to fold forward the front seats than so be it.

I'm looking for links to builds or just general suggestions.

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
4/23/15 10:30 a.m.

IMHO you can't go wrong with a Suburban. Decent examples can be snagged well under the challenge price cap.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/23/15 10:30 a.m.

I don't think you'll be able to get what you want for your budget.

You can get a project that you'll have to sink a lot of time and a chunk of change into to get what you want, though.

Is that what you're looking for? Starting point suggestions?

The_Jed
The_Jed UberDork
4/23/15 10:31 a.m.

When you do snag a suitable adventure rig, please post about it. I'd love to follow along.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua PowerDork
4/23/15 11:10 a.m.

Are you going to DD it as well?

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
4/23/15 11:11 a.m.

Yes it'll be a DD as well, so it won't be so crazy or huge that its uncomfortable for that.

However, my commute will be anywhere between 2 miles and 15 miles.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
4/23/15 11:16 a.m.

So first I searched Google Images for a "forest service road" to see what these conditions look like. Found stuff like this;

If that's what we're up against, maybe with a bit more ruts and mud, I'd probably go for a FWD station wagon or minivan on a set of BFG All-Terrain TA's. Add in some spring spacers to get a bit of lift and go. The image above is the kind of road that goes to the house I grew up in and we didn't need anything special once good tires were in the mix.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
4/23/15 11:20 a.m.
pres589
pres589 UberDork
4/23/15 11:26 a.m.

The only issue I'd have is a bit more ground clearance perhaps. Witness this;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vHvXi_HejnI (note: dumb overlaid audio)

I dunno. I think a lot of people go way overboard on this stuff.

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/15 11:38 a.m.
pres589 wrote: I dunno. I think a lot of people go way overboard on this stuff.

This. Use what you own, you'd be surprised at where it can go. I just dropped the Samurai 5" and went from 33" tires to 29" tires. I run a lot of FS roads and I still haven't gotten it stuck. The super lifts and huge tires are usually only necessary if you are looking for places to get stuck.

For sleep inside, I'd do a 4x4 truck and a slide in truck camper. That won't fit in your budget though.

Something like this.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
4/23/15 11:46 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

Yeah, some of the images in the Flagstaff link PHeller posted are ones I've ridden my VFR on. It's not really happy in that situation and I don't do it all that often but I also don't run screaming from them. A 15 year old Caravan with two inches additional spring height and the right tires for the situation should be pretty good at this I think. It'd also own the truck & slide-in camper at the MPG game and probably the "is this decent to drive on the highway" game. Etc etc.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/23/15 11:47 a.m.

4x4 ambulance.

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
4/23/15 11:50 a.m.

I'm down for a Caravan. I was all about a 5spd 4 cylinder Caravan from 1995, but missed a good opportunity. If I could find another that'd be the ticket.

I'd also consider a Ranger with a slide-in...but I don't have anywhere to store a slide-in, yet.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
4/23/15 12:19 p.m.

I'd go with an XJ Cherokee (they're popular for a reason) or whatever flavor of mini truck you prefer.

Toyman01
4/23/15 12:22 p.m.
PHeller wrote: ...but I don't have anywhere to store a slide-in, yet.

You store it in the back of the truck. Then you use it every weekend.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
4/23/15 12:29 p.m.

$1000 mountain bike + $1000 in bike-packing gear?

itsarebuild
itsarebuild GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/23/15 12:33 p.m.

In reply to PHeller:

Um..., yes please! I'd like to go on that adventure!

Toyman01
4/23/15 12:41 p.m.

This will give you an idea of how capable a stock Outback can be. I will say I'm glad this one isn't mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlKVWUrR8Y

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/23/15 12:48 p.m.

I've said it before, I'll say it again: Toyota Chinook 4x4 RV

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
4/23/15 12:55 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: $1000 mountain bike + $1000 in bike-packing gear?

It's funny you say that as my wife said the same thing. She's not much of a truck person, likes the idea of van, but she's curious to try bikepacking.

Already got the mountain bike and wouldn't even need $1000 to get the rest of the bikepacking gear, although I do need a lighter/warmer sleeping bag, lighter 2 person tent, and a lighter, more pack-able sleeping pad.

I actually just bought my a wife a disc brake road bike that can fit 29x1.9 tires.

Cotton
Cotton UberDork
4/23/15 1:47 p.m.

I was going to say Blazer Chalet (I own three of them), but if you plan to DD it I also vote cheap 4x4 truck with cheap slide in camper. I mean that seems like the perfect compromise here.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/23/15 2:06 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: This will give you an idea of how capable a stock Outback can be. I will say I'm glad this one isn't mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlKVWUrR8Y

How did i know that was going to be Grant? He posts on Clubroadster a lot. Interesting dude.

He also built this:

PHeller
PHeller PowerDork
4/23/15 2:15 p.m.

Is he the same guy who worked overseas for awhile after selling Warmachine?

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
4/23/15 2:23 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote: This will give you an idea of how capable a stock Outback can be. I will say I'm glad this one isn't mine. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xMlKVWUrR8Y

How capable is one you can find for $2015 ?

I'm not sure I've seen any in that price range that didn't have major rust or a major mechanical problem. Plus, the ones in that price range are going to have more trouble due to running much much smaller tires. The 2015 rides on tires 1" taller than a stock XJ.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
4/23/15 2:23 p.m.
PHeller wrote: Is he the same guy who worked overseas for awhile after selling Warmachine?

Yes, but he brought the car over with him.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yalOjju04xvhNbvQ64oOxZ8laHCpWicOk7Z0VwVNWOHWRfYLYSPBDdjJKeQlaaBf