The Staff of Motorsport Marketing
The Staff of Motorsport Marketing Writer
4/20/18 11:12 a.m.

Like stories like this? This one is from an older issue of our magazine. You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

story and photos by alan cesar

"It makes a helluva noise,” says Ben Martinez. He loves the whoosh of a turbo. He also carries an undying …

Read the rest of the story

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
4/22/18 2:56 p.m.

Well Done!  I liked those when I first saw them on the street and I still like them.

gswaybright
gswaybright New Reader
4/23/18 12:36 p.m.

Hats off to Ben and his XR4Ti. I had an '89 that I ran in the '93& '94 One Lap of America. Loved it, but I eventually was bitten by the Miata bug.

mrblah
mrblah New Reader
4/23/18 1:25 p.m.

are these allowed in cam?  I did a basic engine mod (supercharger pulley) got stuck into a modified class where you need hoosiers and I'm not happy about that.   I need to find something else to autocross and the cam class is huge local with lots of good drivers

PT_SHO
PT_SHO New Reader
4/23/18 8:48 p.m.

In reply to mrblah :

Sorry.  The SCCA Classic American Muscle rules for 2018 say:  < Eligible Vehicles     • Vehicle must be either a domestic automobile or truck (pick-up or SUV) of front-engine/rear-wheel-drive (FE/RWD) configuration>

So you're SOL on the "domestic" issue.  While I am on the FE/RWD issue (Taurus SHO). 

Those rules, especially on engines, are very restrictive.  We always have people show up at the autocrosses asking "What about my car, it's just got a (cam, upgraded turbo, Lexan window, carbon fiber hood, all of the above) it's basically stock right?"  And the answer is, "No, go directly to Street Mod, do not pass GO.  And good luck in the big pond with the vicious fishes there!"

CAM is getting really popular and is nearly wide-open rules-wise.  That of course means there are now $100,000 cars there.  It's whatever floats your boat of course - CAM looks way fun, but a Street Touring R or U car will usually tear them up time-wise.

Tk8398
Tk8398 Reader
4/24/18 5:23 a.m.

I remember seeing that car when he first got it finished. I actually saw him not that long ago but he had a formula Ford instead.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/3/18 11:34 a.m.

I had a merkur once, and when it ran right it was fun to drive and garnered me several speeding tickets from North Carolina's finest, sadly. :) It was a wonderful road car but sadly lived up to the FORD acronym. I traded it for a subaru and never looked back. yes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nKR3YR0bz3Tex8iqGrti5g46g3j7DnZbmT0ajTbVwdUJS3o85inXXzwGd6xdhmnH